Is US support for the war in Gaza collapsing?

A recent Gallup poll shows that the majority of Americans opposed Israel military actions in Gaza, including 75% of Democrats. The poll was before the recent Israeli attack on US-backed aid workers.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – After narrowly backing Israel’s military action in Gaza in November, Americans now oppose the campaign by a solid margin. Fifty-five percent currently disapprove of Israel’s actions, while 36% approve.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/642695/majority-disapprove-israeli-action-gaza.aspx?utm_source=twitterbutton&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=sharing

Since the Israeli attack, Nancy Pelosi has announced that she has joined other House Democrats in opposing further US military aid to support the war.

“In light of the recent strike against aid workers and the ever-worsening humanitarian crisis, we believe it is unjustifiable to approve these weapons transfers,” the letter said. It was signed by Pelosi and 36 other Democrats including Representatives Barbara Lee, Rashida Tlaib and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2024-04-05/pelosi-joins-call-for-biden-to-stop-transfer-of-us-weapons-to-israel

With the growing opposition from within his own party, is a reversal in Biden’s blank-check policy on the horizon?

They’ll oppose it until Hamas mows down another teen concert

4 Likes

I would say people are probably feeling like it’s time to wind it down now. The collective punishment lesson has been taught.

That’s pretty much where I’m at. I still support Israel’s war, but it’s time for it to morph more into dedicated special forces raids and very specifically targeted air strikes with precision weapons. I think the Palestinians, the reasonable ones anyway, have been taught a severe lesson now.

5 Likes

I think the million-Benajamin army is more of a factor in making sure that any changes in US policy with Israel is strictly cosmetic.

I’m not sure if Hamas even has the capabilities to pull another stunt like that now. They’ve had the ■■■■ beaten out of them for over five months now.

are you seriously using rolling stoned as your source?

1 Like

if they continue to exist, they will.

A similar letter supporting negotiations in Ukraine was immediately withdrawn.

At this point, congressional oversight means that the swamp creatures that run US foreign policy make sure that congress stays in line.

Of course, I suspect that there are elements within the Pentagon and the State Department that may be concerned about the rapid depletion of US weapons stocks and Israeli efforts to drag the US into a war with Iran. Voters’ concerns may be used as a pretext for a change of policy.

The fact that Pelosi as joined the effort is an indication that the letter may be more than a token protest.

At this point, this issue is mainly about internal politics within the Democratic Party.

Here is a Breitbart link. Pelosi’s reversal in policy is buried in the text.

well, this will never end as long as israel plays give and take with hostages.

decades of experience says so

That’s not Israel’s goal, though.

If they don’t finish the job, Hamas will just regroup and do it again.

Israel MUST finish the job it started. Bleeding hearts need to shut up and get out of the way.

Chalk me up in one of thew OP’s green bars.

3 Likes

I’d be surprised if any hostages are still alive.

2 Likes

they’ll always find some. they are pure utter cowards. it’s the only way they know.

Israel should do what they need to protect themselves and America should take care of the mess at home. So much attention given to that tiny spec of land.

That being said this will never end it’s like living next to a neighbor with a rabid pit bull that breaks its chain occasionally and you’re not allowed to finish it off. The pit bull doesn’t change.

2 Likes

It wasn’t the objective but it did happen. Mainly because of how Hamas operates. And it’s not like the Israelis just let the opportunity for some good old collective punishment slip by them. The Palestinians had earned it by cheering the October 7th attackers as they came back into Gaza.

They needed some collective punishment for that. But frankly I think the lesson has been taught now. To the more reasonably minded Palestinians. The ones who are not completely stupid understand that at the very least they shouldn’t openly cheer on terrorist attacks. Otherwise they lose their house as collateral damage.

They will continue to have the desire, but they don’t have the logistics to pull something like October 7th off again right now. Best they could do with their current supplies and status is a bus bombing or something like that.

October 7th was a super big operation that required a number of months to plan and gather supplies for. Unless they’ve got a secret stash somewhere they’re not doing that again any time soon. Israel has been beating the ■■■■ out of them for months since then. Doesn’t mean they can’t send a suicide bomber to blow up a bus or something in Israel itself. But logistics matter with operations like October 7th.

1 Like

I dunno. They may have a handful of them stashed somewhere. That’s the only card they have left that they can play. Because militarily speaking they’re in shambles. They ain’t changing anything that way.

which ones would those be?

What do you believe Israel’s goal is.

If you are thinking it is to destroy Hamas, that seems unattainable by military means as long as several oil-rich gulf states remain committed to propping up Palestinian resistance financially as a way to distract local populations from their regimes are.

Or do you see some other goal driving Israeli policy?

keep in mind how the world hates israel and will fund these maniacs. incl US. some of the whack-job leftists in our own govt make that clear. when they speak in english, that is.

1 Like