Is this a correct interpretation of the bible?

Everyone cherry picks when using the bible to assert a moral framework. Some, like the subject of the OP, put it into practice. This is why the thread is about interpretation. Fundamentalists and atheists tend to cherry pick less, given their purism.

The question of interpretation is a question of not whether what was written was “ok” in the time of writing (it obviously was since it was their law). It’s a question of whether or not such writings/laws ought to be applied today, and if not, why do we pick and choose which laws to apply today, given a claim of such laws and writings being inspired by God.

Libs reject it all anyway. Why should they care?

Because enacted policy effects all, regardless of political affiliation.

Do you know it’s name?

Skyrim?

And even among people with years of study there are many factions/different interpretations

Let us know when your vagina keeps you from delivering a prayer at a Texas town council meeting.

For that matter, let us know when you are ever going to deliver a prayer … anywhere … under any conditions. :roll_eyes:

Who is stopping you from picking the one you like?

I don’t view public policy and morality only through the lens of my own life. Other people matter to me, even strangers - this is what Christ taught afterall. So, I will gladly call out public officials who encourage the treatment of women as less equal, whether due to religious reasons or other reasons.

This exactly is what our Wednesday evening congregations were for; discussing the deeper meanings.

Not to mention and the one that has the best influence on one’s behavior and a blessed quality of life.

No one. We all interpret the Bible differently both academic and in terms of action in modern times. When such interpretations begin to remove rights or privileges based on a protected status is when me and others look to stop it

Perfect example, and also why we have Bible Study and classes welcoming newcomers to the faith.

1 Like

I did too. See post 11.

And I didn’t address your post calling out this guy. Suggesting what I addressed was so, … is disingenuous.

When those individual interpretations impact society it becomes an issue for society.
L

1 Like

Then go with that one and stop pestering others with your apron tugging.

Then we are in agreement? That the Texas Mayor’s interpretation is an incorrect assertion of God’s word based on a cherry picked passage?

When an individual interpretation does that to you, let us know.

And before you pretend that this mayor’s personal interpretation did that, I’ll remind you of my earlier question:

You missed the point because you think I’m a lib and your guard is up. Check yo bias.

Atheists will cherry pick “God smashed babies’s heads” in the OT to say the Bible is dumb; fundamentalists will cherry pick Romans to say homosexuality is evil.

Both are silly. Don’t you agree?

1 Like