Is this a correct interpretation of the bible?

The passage in reference here seems clear.

What was the culture at the time these verses were written?

Female heads of temples at that time were prostitutes, and the new Christian religion had to keep this in mind. This is not a cautionary measure that needs to take place today.

As far as women teaching men…while I have only good things to say of women religious instructors, I still say men should step forward and become teachers of men. The minute women take responsibility for something, men have a bad habit of going along with it.

More seriously, a good religious education and instruction to both genders should include teachers of both genders.

Isn’t bible the word of God? If so, how do you know the meaning of those verses are to be changed due to the change of culture?

It isn’t really the word of God. God didn’t write the bible. Men did. A very few men that had direct control over what did or did not eventually wind up in that bible, no God required.

Now Islam, on the other hand, says the Quran is the word of Allah (God) as passed directly to his Prophet and is not open to interpretation. Compare that to the Christian bible which is written mostly with parables and analogies and is very much open to interpretation.

Personally, I think its all ■■■■■■■■ written by men in order to control other men. (And in this instance, women.) Threaten them with eternal suffering if they step out of line. Clearly, just killing them isn’t good enough. Besides, that’s how wars and more importantly revolutions get started. When the wrong guy gets killed and the majority have finally had enough, tyrants have a hard time staying in power.

Do you have a particular Holy Book, AZslim?

That passage is clear. If you were a new convert (newly converted by the Apostle Paul), living in the city of Corinth in the first century, you would understand exactly what Paul meant. The New Covenant Scripture had not been written, women had the gifts of the Holy Spirit like the men. They were able to prophecy - relate their direct revelations from God, as well as the men.

The mayor is applying Paul’s words to a “council meeting”, not an assemble of the Saints for another purpose altogether. . He only has control over his own wife and daughters. He has no control over another man’s wife or daughters. He is out of order.

Customs were different in every part of the world. Some women wore veils (coverings that concealed almost all of their body) in public. It was considered a shame upon their husbands if they appeared in public without their covering. Some places it was shameful for women to have short hair - their appearance more manly instead of feminine. Their actions could bring dishonor to their husbands.

1 Peter 5:1 So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ as well as a partaker in the glory that is to be revealed. 2 Tend the flock of God that is your charge, not by constraint but willingly, not for shameful gain but eagerly, 3 not as domineering over those in your charge but being examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd is manifested you will obtain the unfading crown of glory. 5 Likewise you that are younger be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” 6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that in due time he may exalt you.

They were all to be servants to each other. Respect was to be given to the older wiser saints who served the others well.

Paul didn’t appoint anyone to “offices” among the early saints. The word deacon simply means servant. The word elder, means older servant. The word bishop means the same thing as the word elder.

The word “office” is not in Scripture. What applies to one Saint, applies to all.

The Mayor is out of order. He only has control over his own wife and daughters. He has no control over another man’s wife or daughters.

Phobe was a “deaconess.” A woman servant of God.

I don’t care who does public prayers. That’s between them and their God. I am a closet prayer.

Yes they are clear. They have nothing to do with council meetings.

Convenience

Along with the Bible, it is good to study the history, culture, and languages of that time. It puts things into context. Second, the Bible itself can help discern these things. For example, who holds a position of higher authority–one who teaches a religion class or a judge when judges were the most powerful people of their time? One of the most well-known judges is Deborah. Therefore we need to ask why women in past times could be a Judge but in early Christianity some were cautious about having women teach. When the Bible does not say, it is good to look at what is going on in society at that time.

Next, Paul mentions Phoebe, a deacon. In a letter to Timothy he also appears to reference other women who were deacons (those who served the community in a variety of different capacities).

People simply cherry pick portions of the bible to be God’s word vs man’s in order to rationalize their own individualistic views. The OP example is no different. It’s why biblical interpretation has evolved along with societal changes over the last few centuries

Nope.

1 Like

Just Google, and news feeds. And “perspective”.

That’s exactly what this thread is doing. The mayor. The OP. A few words totally out of context.

And when someone tried to explain the context, it’s met with scorn by libs. :man_shrugging:

Relax. There is no scorn. I was simply pointing out my opinion on the nature of biblical interpretation in people. I’m sorry if the term “cherry picking” is too blunt.

Good catch. But if it was church, they should be silent?

Yes. The one that is the true word of God.

Again, context. Should lengthy personal explanations take place during a church service, or should such explanations take place at home so as not to disrupt the purpose of the church service? This makes sense whether a couple is in church or at a Rotary Club or PTA meeting.

1 Like

Yes. Council meetings are out, but it clearly says women should be silent in church.

The passage seems to refer to woman only.

Many of the people who wrote the bible were barbarians who wouldn’t get an ounce of respect in modern times. Both morally and scientifically. So if you read the bible in the context of Men who were full of it, and who knew nothing of God, it starts to make sense.