Is the blood of the dead just the price we pay for freedom now?

Absolutely, I agree.

Mental health and video games are easy scapegoats but no one really seems to be willing to offer specifics on how we fix those and how those alleged fixes will prevent shootings specifically with data to show that they are the right fixes

Yes…as long as it remains not our dead…someone else’s dead is ok.

1 Like

So from what I understand at least part of the weapon the Dayton shooter used was manufactured in Moscow Mitch’s state of Kentucky. No wonder he is adverse to recall the Senate!
Scummy Bastard!

Those of us who wish the tide of violence to end (or at least be reduced) know that nothing will happen until we break the NRA’s iron fisted grip on the Senate and the White House. The logic of the arugments are of no importance – just consider the thread title.

Antonin Scalia wrote in Heller, ““Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. . . The right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.” And yet the “shall not be infringed” crowd insists that the 2A is absolute and overrules all other concerns. The consequences are tragic.

1 Like

Not our dead works for me. :thinking:

Yes, it is and always has been. Those rights in the Bill of Rights, all of them, were bought and paid for with blood and that is part and parcel of them.

You © collective seem to want “safe”. You © don’t want freedom, you © want liberty and you © don’t want others to have the liberty to…

The two words mean different things. Freedom from … is messy, it can be very tough at times. Liberty to… not so much.

It tears my heart out every time I hear of one of these incidents, especially when children are involved. But no, I will not give up a single right, a single bit of my freedom from… Want to know why?

Because I didn’t do it.

If I set in to killing people, feel free to stand me in front of a judge and strip away every right I have.

Until then, go do it to the guilty. No prior restraint. We don’t take away rights for what somebody else did or what I might do. Only what I’m guilty of. That is the very heart and purpose of due process and the most important founding principle of this country.

You want to know why we can’t “be like other industrialized nations”? That’s why, they have liberty, we have freedom. That’s American Exceptionalism.

No prior restraint.

2 Likes

And yeah, we are already paying the price. All of us.

Yeah, right.

The 2nd worked great for the Japanese/Americans didn’t it.

So I guess that includes an exceptional number of dead body’s

Thanks for being honest about it! Weird, but thanks!

I used it as a figure of speech. You knew exactly what I meant, and I’m talking about any right or “right”, so it appears my chosen descriptor was effective.

That’s because they believe the right to bear a firearm is a “natural right” ascribed in some unable to be named set of freedoms they are guaranteed no matter what based on the words of some brainy progressive philosopher educated elite snob. Or that God gave them the right. Or something.

And look-I say all of this as a firearm owner (I own a “spooky scary AR” and a couple of hand guns), and as someone who has NEVER called for a new gun regulation. All I’ve ever said is “let’s put every option on the table.” And let’s get special interest $$ out of politics once and for all.

Last American standing? Just how bad do you think this murder problem is?

How is it weird?

You used a phrase associated with nothing but gun uttered by the celebrity president of the national rifle association.

I am not a gun owner but I do not favor the confiscation of guns. I don’t even support banning assault rifles because the data show that such bans don’t reduce gun violence. But I do believe in common sense regulations while being more than a little frustrated that the “shall not be infringed” side have taken a position of never making an compromises. That’s why I quoted Scalia – an elite and educated man but certainly no one’s idea of a progressive. In Heller, were he rewrote the 2A (judicial activism much!) he still insisted on limits to 2A.

1 Like

Never making compromises? Any idea how many gun laws are on the books already?

1 Like

4,000 babies born in this country each day. We’re not running out of people.

We have compromised. Over and over again.

1 Like