Is The American Flag Now a Deity of Choice?

So far I am.

That isn’t why I fly it but do go on.

In fairness it’s an all volunteer force. They have to advertise where they can. Sports events are full of 18-25 year olds, the prime candidates for recruitment.

As a world power, of course we need a military…so we can pursue our own interests.

That’s what militaries are for.

lol. “interests”. what kind of “interests?”

carefully avoiding the word “defense” i see

Because the ideas that our military is for defense is a myth.

Think of how many nations in the world there are that don’t even have militaries. Or have minimal militaries.

If our military was strictly for defense, it would be far far smaller than it is.

This reminds me of the thread gloating about the US soccer team loss.

It is weird to ascribe athletic success of failure to the athletes patriotism, or lack thereof.

I also think it’s odd to ascribe it to faith and god. I don’t think god cares who winds a medal.

Don’t forget Science.

what kind of “interests?”

so you admit we need a defense

Depends on which aspect of “god” you’re talking about.

Hm. Intriguing. tell me more.

We’re all made out of the same Thing. The Thing that manifests itself into all these different “things,” some of which care very much about winning a medal.

That’s an interesting take.

I was referring to the traditional christian god who sits on his throne and people pray to him for stuff…

I like the image that we are all made up of God Stuff…

Not sure if I would call that old bearded caricature traditional or not. Certainly not the original depiction anyway. I know many Christians/Mormons/Catholics who share similar, more scientific views on what God is.

Its the same as the “War on Christmas”…The ones offended are more worried about the trappings than the actual reason for the Day.

We are a global economic power. I’d say hegemon but not really anymore. Still…no other power comes close to us.

What do you think our interests are?

You think our interests are spreading joy and freedom to the benighted nations of the world, and that’s why other nations hate us?

I mean…you seriously believe that?

Plenty of people still thank god for letting them hit a dinger, or getting a promotion at work.

Yep. I too am thankful to the Thing that manifests itself into other “things” for these experiences to happen. Without that Thing letting this universe of “things” happen, none of it would’ve been experienced.

Oh yeah, well, me too…

But again, I am thinking more about people who literally tank their christian god.

The nuns who taught me for my young years were always quick to tell you your success or failure in life is very much linked to your devotion to god. And that resonates with lots of people.

those are your words. not mine

you said that foreign threats to the US are a myth which is absurd

you also said soviets just wanted to feel safe from europe.

where do people learn this garbage?

good lord

There’s no objective difference between thanking a Father and thanking the fundamental Force of the Universe. Same “Thing.” :wink:

There’s no objective difference between that and a devotion to this chain of experiences being the reasoning for success or failure.

Different aspects of the same Thing.