Is Conservatism Important Anymore?

The statement was made in another thread that it isn’t. I tend to agree.

It would probably help to define the term first.

I offer that by the common definition, it is indeed “not important anymore”.

So the question would then become; “What is?”

I did actually laugh at this.

Why?

I will not cede more power to the state. I will not willingly cede more power to anyone, not to the state, not to General Motors, not to the CIO. I will hoard my power like a miser, resisting every effort to drain it away from me. I will then use my power, as I see fit. I mean to live my life an obedient man, but obedient to God, subservient to the wisdom of my ancestors; never to the authority of political truths arived at yesterday at the voting booth. That is a program of sorts, is it not? It is certainly program enough to keep conservatives busy, and Liberals at bay. And the nation free."

Seems like you guys are still following Buckley

But there are not a lot of you

Because, despite making a point to do so, you didn’t define your terms.

There is no “common defintion” of conservatism - anymore than there’s such thing as a “true conservative.”

2 Likes

There is.

There isn’t for the movement conservatives. They were never conservative to begin with. They were always authoritarians.

1 Like

Conservatism is not mine to define.

I have what I have through my works and I plan to conserve it. That’s about it for me. Everyone else can do their own thing, away from my lawn.

3 Likes

Is conservatism then the hoarding of power?

Whose is it to define?

What is that?

Conservatives I would think.

Which conservatives?

Not you. About 90 percent of self proclaimed conservatives on this forum.

I have no idea. I have basically nothing in common with any well-known person calling themselves such.

No.

The perverted version of it. Yes.

Buckley’s version is perverted?

Without defining terms: short answer is no.

Explanation: I think the left has been too successful in driving their ideology and now we will begin the rapid decent into mediocrity.

At the worst we descend into civil war. Best case scenario is we decide to split up amicably.

What about not well know people who call themselves such?

No. I think it sounds a lot like sovereign citizenship.

Hoarding of personal power isn’t hoarding of power.

Sorry i think we need to clear up what i mean.