Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s game?

That Paul was actually in Athens and preaching the Gospel is in no ways is proof that what he was preaching about was actually true.

Was that my argument?

No.

But I did say what should be seen as historical consistencies make the account of Paul’s presentation more believable, not less.

Here’s the thing about Scripture that is at least true, and undeniably so, when contrasted with personal experiences: that Scripture is equally open to inspection by others whereas things I may have experienced simply are not.

I can say, and be 100% truthful in saying it, that I’ve “experiences” of the Lord in my life. I could tell you about them but they aren’t open to you inspection … unless you’re a telepath I suppose.

So if, just for argument’s sake, you or anyone will not accept the sorts of evidences that are open to inspection by you no different than to me or anyone else, well, there’s really what to say to you?

I get that…and I also appreciate the trip down Greek Philosophy Memory Lane, BTW…but your response was to an OP whose entire post was focusing on the existence of the supernatural, not about the consistency of some parts of the Biblical account.

So I wasn’t sure of the point you were trying to make.

Actually, my response was about that evidences have in fact been offered. You may note that I mentioned that just because he may want to use a standard that eliminates them that doesn’t mean they haven’t been offered.

I likewise did not limit myself to just one tradition but included mention of others (such as with koans, which, btw, are not found in Christianity).

And I gave an account of one bunch receiving (or not receiving) what has been offered.

What in the wide world of sports are you talking about here??

My response was about the invocation of names, and the name of the invoked getting blamed for the actions of the invoker… You lost me.

Morals in the name of your God are absolute. But a suicide bomber doing it in the name of their God is wrong. It really just boils down to “my God”. Nothing absolute/objective about it.

There is only one God.

Mohammad was the true prophet yes?

While I agree that religion is a typically a scam, I don’t think there is anything inherently unintelligent about having a sense of spirituality. In the “natural” world, there are so many things beyond our understanding that to be confident in the non-existence of something that could be considered “supernatural” requires you go beyond what could be deduced through evidence.

So while I definitely don’t put faith in mythology, I don’t find spirituality absurd.

No…

Even many non-theists have a sense of spirituality.

To me, being a conscious being is a mixture of bizarreness and wonder.

Most times people take being alive and conscious for granted but in reflective moments I think of just how “weird” it kind of is that physics and chemistry in the right mixture and structure produces a conscious experience.

1 Like

This is why I am a property dualist

How do you differentiate between religion and spirituality? Are the religious people those spiritual people who go to church versus spiritual people who do not go to church?

Mythology

If there is an all-powerful all-knowing God, then are we really at fault considering God designed our curiosity and knowing ahead of time what Eve’s choice would be. He could have made her less curious.

One who is very religious follows a set of rules, dictates or routines typically as outlined by a specific religion. Muslims are very religious for example. There are many people who believe in God or some form of a metaphysical higher power who either are not involved in any particular religion or only occasionally. Many people like that consider themselves spiritual. They may pray or meditate often and typically have a reverent view of nature and life since that would be how they experience God.

Are you saying spirituality only people do not follow any rules? Does not following any rules/disciplines make people more spiritual; following rules make people less spiritual?

True. I don’t believe in any bearded man in the sky waiting to send me to heaven or hell because I believe some ancient text, but I don’t think that being non-religious means you need to be an overzealous atheist.

If scientists are open the idea that there may be parallel universes or that we might be living in a simulation, I can’t understand being totally closed off to anything “supernatural” or spiritual.

You can be an agnostic or a “soft” atheist and still have some sense of spirituality. I take it as meaning that you are open to the existence of things beyond our understanding, but you don’t necessarily believe in any formal religion or doctrine.

True loving fathers follow “keep away from children” guidelines. Too bad God didnt raise adam and eve lovingly and thoroughly enough befire sending them out to the wild. It’s like leaving a loaded gun on the floor.