Is America in Decline?-A Culture Wars Discussion

They do affect job performance.

Why shouldn’t a company be able to discriminate on whatever basis they choose?

Where’s the power, hegemony, going to go?

How can we move forward to an america where families of four can do well with only one parent working, and one staying at home while the kids are school aged?

We did it in the 50s, 60s, into the 70s…should we emulate the policies that allowed that to happen?

Agreed.

Agreed.

Don’t broad brush.

I know plenty of families with both parents working - many with the mom making significantly more than the dad - who also were completely present for their kid’s upbringing.

Is that forward or backwards?

Why does it need to be 4?

Maybe start with lowering your materialist expectations? Define “do well.”

I feel like I explained this already.

1 Like

I hope so, but there’s no guarantee that things are going to get better at all. They might get worse and stay worse. There is no guarantee that importing millions of the world’s poor during a period of high inflation and the rise of AI taking jobs will have a positive outcome.

2 Likes

That’s not possible.

Can’t argue with that. I agree with Republicans when it comes to immigration, guns and energy.

Lynching is no longer an acceptable part of US culture.

1 Like

Having one person stay at home to raise the children requires something that the vast majority of people today are unwilling to do. It’s called sacrificing things. Driving old cars, living in a home that is smaller than you would like, forgoing many of the instant happiness gland things that people are overly obsessed with. Doing odd jobs when one has the time. Supplementing grocery purchases with stuff you grow yourself. Etc. that’s how people back then did it. They were only a single income so they based everything around that.

9 Likes

It never was. Now vigilantism…

You mean mob violence, which is still very much a part of human culture. Lynching is just one type of mob violence.

2 Likes

We managed it for 31 years.

1 Like

I don’t think I do. Not republicans.

The culture isn’t changing fast, a bunch of leftist theories and propaganda are being forced upon the culture.

I agree with your observation.

What I think is missing in the discussion is the importance of economics in addition to culture. In the post WWII period at least through the seventies, there were many blue and white collar jobs that paid enough for a family to live comfortably on the income of a single wage earned. Staring with the inflation of the late seventies, those sorts of jobs began to disappear.

Many factors in play:

– Globalization increased access to cheaper labor
– Tax policies favored the accumulating of very high wealth
– The decline of Labor Unions decreased worker’s bargaining power
– The intransigence of Labor Unions made the unions easy to demonize
– In the nineties, the rise of the internet concentrated economy power in the hands of those who control network choke points

Families have changed (and not always for the better) in response to economic pressures on families.

1 Like

My wife stayed home with each child until they were school age. She then took a job that had her home when the school day ended. I got them off to school each morning before I went to work. We sacrificed time with each other each day to make sure one of us was with them when they weren’t in school.

5 Likes

It most certainly was in a large part of the country.

There’s plenty of reason to argue America is in decline; but there is no need to make things up.

You don’t think the demands of organized labor here didn’t incentivize globalization to access cheap foreign labor?

5 Likes

So if what you are saying is correct then the Carter years must have been amazing, correct? If that’s the case why did Carter lose? And if Reagan was so bad why did he win in one of the biggest landslides ever?

2 Likes