Intuitive Lunar Lander landing attempt a little over 20 minutes away (scheduled 6:24 pm EST)

Live coverage of the Intuitive Lunar Lander landing attempt, a bit over 20 minutes away at 6:24 pm EST.

I think it crashed. No celebration from NASA-C.

Possibly, but not necessarily, there is a communications issue.

Either way, it will take some time to confirm.

I’m really hoping they get it right with Artemis. Because I’m taking my son to that launch event and I would rather not explain to him how four astronauts splatted on the moon. One of whom is going to be the first black guy in the moon.

I thought it’s unmanned.

Possible roll excursion, which would not mean a crash, but could put comm links out of alignment. Not a fatal problem, if that is what happened, but will make it a pain to establish communications.

This one is. I’m talking about the Artemis 3 mission in 2025/2026. My son will be four by then so perfect time to watch a rocket launch from Caniveral.

2 Likes

Make sure he’s in the frame watching it happen. He’ll love watching it over and over.

1 Like

That’s the hope. I’m letting him live some of the childhood I never got to have. I wanted to see a shuttle launch as a kid so bad but my family would never take me.

1 Like

My daughter was 5 when she saw her first full eclipse and she barely remembers it. I was too busy recording the eclipse instead of recording them. I plan to fix that with my current 5 year old this April during the next one.

1 Like

Lunar thingy is transmitting.

1 Like

Confirmed that the lander survived and is transmitting. Still gotta sort out the comm issues.

We have touchdown. Cool.

1 Like

HA! Two slow old men. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

1 Like

Apparently they had to beam up a brand new landing software package because the onboard package crashed.

How far we have come from the software by wire on Apollo…

On that same line of thought, the laser guidance system failed on the lander, but they were able to repurpose two lasers from a NASA side mission on the lander to take the place of the failed laser system.

Two things that could have killed the mission were averted.

Btw, Safiel, thanks for this thread. I’d pulled it up at 6pm est last night and wouldn’t have known it was happening if not for seeing this thread. Though boring without video, it was an opportunity to witness history for my family and I. Even if we did have to watch it on CNN…

This is a great idea. I might copy it.

1 Like

Your welcome.

It would have been nice to have had video ala:

But with the ratty communications yesterday, video wouldn’t have fed back anyhow. :smile: