Interior Department moves to reverse rules on hunting bears, wolves, caribou in Alaska

(reverse) "…barring hunters on some public lands in Alaska from baiting brown bears with bacon and doughnuts and using spotlights to shoot mother black bears and cubs hibernating in their dens…

Under the proposed changes, hunters would also be allowed to hunt black bears with dogs, kill wolves and pups in their dens, and use motor boats to shoot swimming caribou."

I honestly didn’t know that shooting hibernating bears and cubs was a thing. Or shooting wolves/pups in their dens was one too. I’m not sure if hunters get much satisfaction out of doing that (on public land) but who knows.

I guess if the animals were killing their animals or destroying their property they would.

Kind of weird rule change to me though. Maybe there is a good reason that I’m missing.

Population control. Black bear attacks are on the rise.

okay. that makes more sense.

Usually, it’s something like that when regulations on hunting an animal relax. It’s like here where the infestation that is feral hogs and coyotes makes them open game.

1 Like