Interesting - Congressional Gold Medal Awarded to WWII Unit

Everything is “heroic”. I wonder what the guys in the field would have given for “an unheated warehouse.”

The award

1 Like

Not to mention the medical teams and supply transports.

Asking people to sort mail during war time service COULD be considered insulting…low expectation.

I think a nice statue to replace the empty pedestal of the offensive ones would be fine.

Not to disrespect the contributions of the women sorting mail in wartime but I would expect the Congressional Gold Medal awards would be more along the lines of the one awarded Raymond Zussman:

On 12 September 1944, 2d Lt. Zussman was in command of two tanks operating with an infantry company in the attack on enemy forces occupying the town of Noroy-le-bourg, France. At 7:00 P.M., his command tank bogged down. Throughout the ensuing action, armed only with a carbine, he reconnoitered alone on foot far in advance of his remaining tank and the infantry. Returning only from time to time to designate targets, he directed the action of the tank and turned over to the infantry the numerous German soldiers he had caused to surrender. He located a road block and directed his tanks to destroy it. Fully exposed to fire from enemy positions only 50 yards distant, he stood by his tank directing its fire. Three Germans were killed and eight surrendered. Again he walked before his tank, leading it against an enemy-held group of houses, machine-gun and small-arms fire kicking up dust at his feet. The tank fire broke the resistance and 20 enemy surrendered. Going forward again alone he passed an enemy-occupied house from which Germans fired on him and threw grenades in his path. After a brief firefight, he signaled his tank to come up and fire on the house. Eleven German soldiers were killed and 15 surrendered. Going on alone, he disappeared around a street corner. The fire of his carbine could be heard and in a few minutes he reappeared driving 30 prisoners before him. Under 2d Lt. Zussman’s heroic and inspiring leadership, 18 enemy soldiers were killed and 92 captured.

Well, if that’s the case, get this man a Meritorious Service Medal! :rofl:

1 Like

Or getting spit upon or having to suffering the indignities of being black during the war and being woman.

I agree. Awards like this shouldn’t be given out to all.

But don’t demean their contribution to the war effort.

Everyone did their job and we beat the axis.

Allan

Mail is important to morale, especially to draftees. What they did is important.

“Heroic”?

1 Like

I didn’t, so wind your neck in.

“We” didn’t beat anybody. “They” did.

I thought we talked about you and military stuff.

You talked I didn’t listen. Never do.

And “we” the United States and allies (since I a natural born citizen of the United States) absolutely beat down the axis in world war 2.

Just like “we” won out freedom from England in the revolution.

And just “we” won the civil war.

I have several relatives who fought (and sometime paid the ultimate price) in those wars.

So don’t lecture me about “we”

My relatives were here since the birth of the nation. (Both dad-post Korea navy and grandfather—world war 1 doughboy served this country well)

So yes. We.

Allan

Allan

2 Likes

Heroic? Not at all.

Important to morale? Absolutely.

Let me also add low risk or minimal worst case scenario.

1 Like

What have you done, since"we" includes you?

My company provides communications to the United States Government. :grinning:

My company employees me in an essential position vital to that task.

Allan

Heroic

Everyone does their part…

Allan

And all parts are equally heroic.

Yes, there were civilian jobs that were far worse than working in an unheated warehouse:

“You come out of a coal-mine town and you’re frightened,” Bronson recalled. “You have to even ask people how to tie your tie. I never had it so good as when I entered the Army. Men were complaining all around me. But I was eating and sleeping well, and I thought: ‘Jeez! This is great!’ For me, being drafted was like having a fairy godfather change me into a prince.
Charles Bronson Went to War - War Is Boring

I’m sure the recipients and their descendants will appreciate that John Paul Jones was a slave trader on a few ships.

Unheated! I can’t imagine what that’s like!

I am an essential worker and commuted to NYC during the height of the covid crisis (pre vax) to make sure the cell phones worked for people.

As I said everyone does their part.

Heroic or not.

I did get a token of my company’s gratitude.

A coin commemorating ATT front line workers.

Allan

My goodness, how did the nation survive 200 years without cell phones. I know people believe they can’t exist without their cell phone, but avoiding inconvenience isn’t essential.

It’s 2022. Not 1922. Get up to speed. Everyone has dumped landlines.

Working Cells are essential.

Allan