IndyCars - The off-season: Series news and comment until the March 2014 kick-off

Thanks, Bobby.

M

+++

IndyCar changes the name of Indy Lights and gives us the 2023 schedule…

When IndyCar reclaimed the Indy Lights series from the Anderson Promotions Road to Indy in 2023, the idea was to completely separate the Lights and claim it as their own. In keeping with that directive from the top, someone got the idea that a name change to the series would do the trick, so from now on IndyCar will call the series, “Indy NXT”. Whether everyone else in the racing world will go along with this remains to be seen.

IndyNXT logo

Further separating the series from the Road to Indy is the tire change, going from the Cooper tires that the three R to I series use to Firestones, just like the big cars use. That makes great sense, as the drivers need to get used to Firestones, and also because the cars share the tracks with the big cars for all of their season and rubber build-up on a race weekend will benefit both series, now.

We will continue to call the entire ladder “The Road to Indy + 1” for now. That is USF Juniors, USF2000, USF Pro 2000 and Indy Lights, or Indy NXT.

Announced at the same time as the name change for the Lights was the schedule for the 2023 season, and we have it here:

2023LightsScheduletop

2023LightsSchedulebottom

Notable:

• There are 14 races on the schedule and all of them are associated with IndyCar race weekends.

• There are three double-header weekends, at Indianapolis, Detroit and Laguna Seca. The rest are single race weekends.

• There is one oval race at World Wide Technology Raceway (Gateway) and one oval race at Iowa Speedway

• There are 8 road course races and 4 street course races.

• Still NOT on the schedule is the former Freedom 100 or a street race at Toronto and fans will still wish both were.

• All the races will be broadcast on Peacock Premium only. No word yet on whether Peacock will also show practice and/or qualifying. Likely not. For that stuff, Lights fans will likely be listening to IndyCar Radio.

M

+++

Indy Lights test at Sebring…

Last Monday and Tuesday, the 7th and 8th of November, The Lights were testing at Sebring on the short course. Over the two days up to 16 cars were on track. No times were kept but we have been told the fastest time set over the two days was by 2022 UP2K Vice-Champion Reece Gold for Juncos Hollinger Racing, three-hundredths of a second quicker than the best time produced by 2022 series Rookie of the Year Hunter McElrea of Andretti Autosport. At this time, Reece is NOT YET announced for the Juncos squad for 2023. No one is.

Reece Gold
ReeceGold300-6

The test featured:

• Jacob Abel for Abel Motorsports
  • Jamie Chadwick, Louis Foster, Hunter McElrea and James Roe for Andretti Autosport,
  • Enaam Ahmed and Jagger Jones for Cape Motorsports
  • Christian Bogle, Christian Rasmussen, Danial Frost, Josh Green, Rasmus Lindh, Nolan
    Siegel and Kyffin Simpson for HMD Motorsports
  • Ernie Francis, Jr. for HMD w/ Force Indy
  • Reece Gold for Juncos Hollinger Racing

Notable:

• Hunter was 2nd quickest on Monday and quickest on Tuesday. The TOP FIVE in order on Monday were: Gold, McElrea, Frost, Chadwick and Simpson.

• The TOP FIVE on Tuesday were McElrea, Gold, Simpson, Chadwick and Lindh

• The true rookies here are Gold and Chadwick, both never having driven these cars before the recent Chris Griffis Memorial Test at Indianapolis (see post # 1902). 3-time W series Champ Jamie Chadwick was last at that test, but we knew she would only need time in the car to be a TOP FIVE driver. Jamie is not yet announced for 2023.

• By Tuesday all 16 cars were separated by less than a second.

• Enaam Ahmed is not yet announced for Cape Motorsports

Enaam Ahmed
EnaamAhmed150-4

Jamie Chadwick - getting there is half the fun
JamieChadwick300-2

M

+++

Lots of "gets’ to catch up on in the Road to Indy…

Since we last looked about, there have been a number of announcements in both USF Juniors and USF2000 and we have them all here, starting with the Juniors:

First off, Joey Brienza has announced he will run the full season of USF Juniors for Exclusive Autosport in 2023. Joey was with EA in their F1600 program for the last two years, where he earned three WINs, two poles and 14 podiums, while also jumping into their USF2000 car for 3 races last season, with a TOP TEN to show for it at Portland.

Joey Brienza
JoeyBrienza300-1

Said Joey, “I am thrilled to announce that I am returning to Exclusive Autosport for the 2023 USF Juniors. I look forward to continuing to build on the success from the past two years, and I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to race for Michael, Kimberly, and everyone else at Exclusive Autosport this year. This team has become family to me over the past few years, and I am excited to show what we are capable of in our first year of USF Juniors. Now with that being said, let’s go get a championship!”

According to team principal Michael Duncalf, the 18-year-old will also participate in select USF2000 races. We know he’s well up for them.

Atlanta-area teenager Zack Ping will drive for VRD Racing in the Juniors in 2023, stepping up from driving in Radical Cup and World Racing League efforts, where he was a co-driver in a Porsche Cayman, collecting WINs and podiums for Round 3 Racing.

Zack Ping
ZackPing300-1

Zack was at the Fall Combines in Indianapolis along with his equally-talented brother Noah, as they both tested a USF2000 car for VRD. (No Juniors car was available for Zack).

Said Zack, “I have been following my brother and VRD throughout this season and have been waiting for my opportunity to jump into an open-wheel car. VRD is a professional program, and I have seen how they operate. I am confident that with the testing we have planned, we can make a run at the USF Juniors title.”

In USF2000 news Zack Ping’s 20-year-old brother Noah Ping has CONFIRMED for VRD Racing in 2023. Noah started 2022 in USF Juniors, competing at Ozarks and Barber, before switching to F4 United States, where he posted 3 WINs and six podiums on his way to 3rd in the points for VRD.

Noah Ping
NoahPing300-2

Said Noah, “I have shown what I can do in an open-wheel car and look forward to the challenge that the USF2000 program will present in 2023. I am looking forward to being with VRD Racing for another season and can’t wait to share these experiences with my entire family as I begin my quest to climb the motorsports ladder.”

New Zealand’s Jacob Douglas was one of the bright rookies in USF2000 in 2022 and he has re-signed to driver for Exclusive Autosport in 2023 for his sophomore season.

Jacob Douglas
JacobDouglas300-1

Douglas was regularly in the TOP TEN in the last half of the 2022 season and three times in the TOP FIVE, clearly improving with every race. At the Fall Combines he proved that point by place 6th overall of the 25 drivers he drove with.

Said Jacob, “I’m super excited to announce another season with Exclusive Autosport in the Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship. I can’t wait to work hard with my EA crew again and see what we can do in 2023. Thank you to all my partners: JDM Properties, TC Performance, Kartstore.nz, Tasman Motorsports Group, DP Homes who have made this possible and gotten me to this level of my racing career.”

We expect Douglas to be a regular visitor to the TOP FIVE and grab several podiums in 2023.

continued…

M

+++

Lots of "gets’ to catch up on in the Road to Indy…(part 2)…

There are four more “gets” for USF2000 and we think these guys are all heavy hitters:

First, Danny Dyszelski has CONFIRMED that he will drive his sophomore season for VRD Racing full time in 2023, following his shortened rookie season in 2022, having only become eligible by turning 14 last April. His best finish in 2022 was a P6 at Portland, but what really impressed us was his excellent performance at the Fall Combines, where he came in 11th out of 25 drivers, posting a P3 and a P4 in two of the sessions.

Danny Dyszelski
DannyDyszelski300-2

Danny’s background is in karting, where he has earned both regional and national titles, but in September he drove to a P2 finish in his first SportsCar race, a NASA event at Laguna Seca…14 years old!

Said Danny, “I learned a lot last year and believe that knowledge and experience will be put to good use with VRD Racing. I can’t thank Dan Mitchell and all the guys from VRD for allowing me to be part of their very successful program, and I hope that I can help uphold the winning reputation that they have built in multiple different series.”

Nikita Johnson was one of the great stars of the inaugural season of USF Juniors in 2022, taking 3 WINs, 10 podiums and 15 TOP TENS on the year, ending the season in 3rd place.The 14-year-old also found time to do 8 USF2000 races, where he had 4 TOP TENS, including a P4 and a P2. Now, he is moving into USF2000 for the full season in 2023, with VRD Racing.

Nikita Johnson
NikitaJohnson300-1

Johnson placed 2nd at the Fall Combines at Indianapolis, with a P1, a P2 and two P3s, bested only by the incredible Simon Sikes.

Said Nikita, “I am excited to continue my open-wheel career with Dan Mitchell and all the boys at VRD Racing. They have become like family to me and really helped me get up to speed with their driver development program. I can’t wait to compete in a full season in USF2000 with them and see if I can assist in adding to their impressive results resume.”

Frankly, we expect Johnson to be a title contender.

Sam Corry was another of the shining lights of the first USF Juniors season. With 3 WINS, 11 podiums and 15 TOP TENS, the 15-year-old placed 2nd in the points. Sam came directly from karting into the Juniors, sio he was a formula car rookie, but you couldn’t tell by his driving. For 2023 Sam will carry the flag for VRD Racing - swiftly becoming the home of the stars.

Sam Corry
SamCorry300-2

Unlike Nikita Johnson, Danny Dyselski and USF Juniors Champion Mac Clark, Sam did not have the benefit of trying out the USF2000 USF-23 car in battle in 2022.

Said Sam, “The goal for this year was to learn as much as possible, but that quickly shifted to win as much as possible once the season began. Now, heading into 2023, my confidence is higher than ever, and I am laser-focused on testing and training for the upcoming season. I am excited to continue learning from Dan Mitchell and working with the VRD team. We have an intense winter test program planned, and I can’t wait to get back in the seat to build on the success from 2022.”

Corry is also expected to be a title contender for 2023.

Finally, 2022 US F4 Champion Lochie Hughes will drive for Jay Howard Driver Development. Australian Lachlin “Lochie” Hughes just took the US F4 title with 6 WINS and 9 podiums, also for Jay Howard. Hughes is a product of Australian F4, and did get 3 races in USF2000 in 2022, at Mid-Ohio, with a P4 to show for it. He placed 7th at the Fall Combines.

Lochie Hughes
LochieHughes300-1

Said Jay Howard, “Lochie is the real deal and will have a long and successful career in motorsports. I am happy to retain him as part of the JHDD program in 2023 and look forward to helping him continue the progression in his career.”

Lochie has the talent and the will to be a champion in USF2000. Watch him.

Stay tuned for more “gets” as the off-season soldiers on…

M

+++

It’s time for a couple of “WTG” moments…

Most of the off-season is spent in testing, but a few members of the IndyCar community also take to the track and compete, whenever possible, just to keep the competitive juices flowing, and we have two very successful examples, here:

This early October, Indy Lights driver Matthew Brabham once again proved what a remarkable talent he is with a superb drive at VIRginia International Raceway in the # 20 allgram / Concord American Flagpole Ford Mustang for Chris Dyson Racing, going from P22 at the start to P1 at the finish - his 3rd Trans Am TA-class WIN in four starts. He missed qualifying at VIR following a practice session mechanical issue but then came from the rear of the 22-car grid all the way to WIN the 100-mile sprint race, setting Fastest Lap in the process.

Matthew Brabham wheels the CD Racing Mustang from last to first at VIR
BrabhamTA

Matty ran his first-ever Trans Am race in 2021, subbing for Chris Dyson and taking a similar CD Racing Mustang from P2 to P1 at Circuit of the Americas by passing fellow Lights driver Ernie Francis, Jr. on the final lap of the race. This year in May, Matty drove from P3 to P2 at Lime Rock Park, setting Fastest Lap along the way. He then drove from P2 to P1 at Mid-Ohio in June, again setting Fastest Lap.

Given how completely different a Trans Am is to any open-wheeler, it is astonishing how quickly the 28-year-old has adapted to the heavy and powerful cars - Four podiums and three WINS in 4 starts!

Matthew Brabham - bewildering
MatthewBrabham300-4

In early November Indy Lights driver Toby Sowery came to the first-ever Radical World Finals at Spring Mountain Motor Resort in Pahrump, Nevada and dominated the Pro 1500 ranks. Over the five-day event, Toby carried that domination through Championship Sunday, scoring the race Fastest Lap by nearly a half a second. Sowery topped the podium in a weekend that featured a pole position, two of three heat race WINS, and the Sunday main event victory. We have always known the Lights race WINNER is an animal and very, very capable. Still is, apparently.

Toby Sowery in a Pro 1500 Radical for Valour Racing
TobySoweyRadical

Making it even sweeter for the IndyCar contingent, 14-year-old USF2000 driver Danny Diszelski for WISKO Racing rebounded from a power issue in one of the heat races to find himself on the second step of the podium on Sunday’s finale - his 2nd SportsCar P2 of the year. (We told you to watch this kid in the post above).

Toby Sowery
TobySowery300-2
Danny Dyszelski
DannyDyszelski150-2

Way To Go, guys! Proud of you!

M

+++

This month, Ricardo Juncos went home to Argentina and drew a crowd!..

In early November, the IndyCar team owner took the # 77 Juncos Hollinger Racing Chevrolet to the Autodromo Oscar y Juan Galvez in Buenos Aires and to the Circuit of Termas de Rio Hondo in Santiago del Estero for an exhibition. Initially expecting a few thousand spectators to show up, the Chevrolet, driven by Agustin Canapino, saw over 50,000 people come to witness the solo screaming car at both circuits.

Ricardo (left) and Agustin thrill the crowds
RicardoAugustin

Juncos’ tour is intended to persuade IndyCar that there is enthusiasm for a return of IndyCar racing to Argentina for the first time since 1971. Agustin was just off his first test in an IndyCar at Sebring in early October. The 32-year-old is the 2022 Champion of Turismo Carretera Argentina, a popular stock car racing series in Argentina, and the oldest auto racing series still active in the world, having started in 1937. Known as “The Titan”, Agustin has been Champ 4 times before, in 2010, 2017, 2018 and 2019. There is a possible path to IndyCars for Agustin - especially if the IndyCar series gets serious about going back to Argentina.

There is no doubt there is a hunger for top tier racing in Argentina.
CanapinoArgentina

What say you, IndyCar???

M

+++

Some big names and big news for the Road to Indy + 1…

We have several driver announcements for the Road to Indy (USF Juniors, USF2000 and USF Pro 2000) and “+ 1” which is Indy NXT (formerly known as Indy Lights) so, let’s catch up:

First and foremost, 3-time W Series Champion Jamie Chadwick has announced that she will drive for Andretti Autosport for the whole 2023 season of Indy NXT.

Jamie Chadwick
JamieChadwick300-

The highly-accomplished 24-year-old from Bath, England becomes the first female to drive in the Lights series since fellow Brit Pippa Mann in 2010. Mann was also the first female to WIN an Indy Lights race, at Kentucky in her sophomore season, so Chadwick has some big shoes to fill, but everyone believes her more than capable of doing so.

Said Jamie, “I’m hugely excited to be joining Andretti Autosport for the 2023 INDY NXT season. My aim is always to challenge myself and continue my progression as a driver, and this represents not only a big step up, but also a big step towards my goal of competing in the highest categories of single seater racing. Andretti Autosport’s standing in the sport is second to none and I hope to bring more success to such a prestigious team. I can’t wait to get started.”

Chadwick is coming off her second test of the Indy NXT cars, this one at Sebring, where she posted 4th fastest of 16 cars testing. (see post # 1923).

In USF Pro 2000 news, Jace Denmark will stay with his two-year USF2000 team, Pabst Racing, as he moves up to UP2K.

Jace Denmark
JaceDenmark300-6

In 2022, the 18-year-old Scottsdale, Arizona native WON four races, had six poles and finished an impressive third place in the USF2000 championship standings after a tight battle to the very end of the season.

Said Jace, “Super excited to extend my relationship with Pabst Racing for the full 2023 season! This step up in my career is big, the car is so much fun to drive. I believe that we can make strides in our USF Pro program with what I have to offer. Lots of preparation is in order to make it great!”

Denmark is Pabst Racing’s first get in USF Pro 2000.

Also in USF Pro 2000 news, Bijoy Garg will be a rookie for his last USF2000 team, DEForce Racing.

Bijoy Garg
BijoyGarg1

The 20-year-old from Stanford, California had two unremarkable seasons of USF2000 in 2020 and 2021, but in 2022 something happened and Bijoy came alive, posting ten TOP TENS, four TOP FIVES and two podiums. He even found time to sample the UP2K Tatuus IP-22 car four times with 3 TOP TENS to show for it.

Bijoy is coming off a great test at the Fall Combines, where he came in 7th overall, besting some much bigger names in the sport.

Said Bijoy, “I am looking forward to continuing with DEForce for 2023 and moving up to USF Pro 2000. The team has done a great job getting me more comfortable in the faster car over the off-season. I am excited to work with them to develop the car and myself even more so we can have the best possible start to next season.”

TJ Speed will start racing in USF Pro 2000 in 2023 and their first “get” will be Christian Weir, moving up from a very successful sophomore season of USF2000 in 2022.

Christian Weir
ChristianWeir300-3

The 16-year-old from Naperville, Illinois drove for Turn 3 Motorsports in 2022, capturing 9 TOP TENS, four TOP FIVES and two podiums. Christian was at the pointy end, all season long.

Said Christian, “I am excited to join TJ Speed in 2023 and thank Tim (Neff) and his entire staff for the opportunity. In the end, the ultimate goal is to be a professional in motorsports, and I think the TJ Speed program allows me to continue that path.”

TJ Speed had a tough season of Indy Lights in 2022, but at the same time they were WINNING the title in FR Americas for the 2nd time in a row. They acquired all the assets of Juncos Racing’s USF Pro 2000 effort at the end of the 2022 season (Juncos is concentrating on Indy NXT and IndyCars alone in 2023) and intend to create a winning team in UP2K:

Said Tim Neff, “This is not a hobby for us as I look to add to our team’s results resume. Christian is the perfect fit for our program and that is noted just from his time spent at the shop. He is precise about what he wants and determined more than most. I think he will be a success story next year.”

We can report on two new drivers who will be in USF2000 this coming season, as 16-year-old Houstonite Maxwell Jaimieson moves up from USF Juniors but stays with DEForce Racing for the journey and Canadian teen Louka St. John moves over from F4 United States to continue driving for Jay Howard Driver Development, but in USF2000.

Jamieson had a fairly unremarkable learning season in the Juniors, with a best finish of P8 at Circuit of the Americas - his only TOP TEN.

Said Maxwell, “I am excited to continue driving with DEForce for 2023. We have gone a long way together, and I am excited to see what we can do for this year.”

Louka had a more productive year in F4 United States, where he produced seven TOP TENS, with a best finish of P3 at New Jersey Motorsports Park. He managed to come in 11th of 34 drivers in the 2022 standings, despite only contesting 12 of the 18 season-long races. Louka may be a real sleeper - someone to watch.

Said Louka of the move, “I am happy that I will drive a USF2000 car in the 2023 season under the Jay Howard Driver Development banner. I have worked hard to get here, and I am determined to do whatever it takes to reach my goals. A huge thank you to Jay and his staff as well as my family, friends, and partners for the continued support. 2022 was a good year but I am looking to make 2023 a great one.”

Maxwell Jamieson
MaxwellJamieson300-1

Louka St. John
LoukaSt.John300-1

Finally, VRD Racing has announced a new acquisition for USF Juniors, as they snagged young super-karter Max Taylor for their 2023 Juniors squad.

Max Taylor
MaxTaylor300-1

It’s not that Taylor was so obviously good in karts in 2022, snagging multiple national WINS and podiums and taking the STARS Championship Series KA100 Junior Champion, the Vice-Champion at the Grand National USA Finals and finishing 3rd overall in the Superkarts! USA Pro Tour. It’s that he only started karting two years ago! Now, it’s time to move into formula cars and USF Juniors is the perfect way to do that.

Said Max, "I am thrilled to join the VRD team for 2023. VRD is an amazing team that shares my determination, tenacity and winning spirit. I can’t wait to get the 2023 race season started. Also, a special thanks to my wingman, coach, cuisine consultant, and best friend, my dad, who traveled with me for more than 150 days in 2022, and I am thinking that number will increase in 2023.”

Stay tuned for more announcements to come.

M

+++

Kiwi Marcus Armstrong will be an IndyCar driver in 2023!..

Announced today, the 22-year-old Formula 2 driver will pilot a fourth Honda for Chip Ganassi Racing, the # 11, on all 12 of the road and street course races on the season. The car replaces the # 48 car that was piloted by NASCAR superstar Jimmie Johnson for the last two seasons, as Johnson returns to be involved in NASCAR for 2023.

Marcus Armstrong

Armstrong was one of five international drivers who participated in an IndyCar test in October, with Marcus testing for Dale Coyne at the time. Immediately after the test he declared his intention to find a ride in IndyCars for the 2023 season, and now he’s got one. No word yet from Ganassi on who they may have lined up to take the car to the five season oval races.

Said Marcus, “I’m ecstatic to be a part of the IndyCar Series, but especially with Chip Ganassi Racing because it is such an iconic and successful team.

"I have an extraordinary opportunity in front of me to learn from people that have been performing at the absolute highest level in this sport. As a Kiwi, I’ve always watched Scott Dixon succeed in the championship with this team, so on a personal level this is quite special for me. I am a hard worker that looks to improve every single day. With the knowledge and personnel that this team has, I’m very excited to take on this new challenge.”

In three seasons of F2 Armstrong pulled down four WINS and 8 podiums, so he already knows how to WIN races at a high level of car performance.
This brings the car count to 27 series regulars for most of the year and for the full year if the team can find an ovalist for the # 11 Honda. That’s the largest car count in a long time and there are probably still two seats available - one at Juncos Hollinger and the other at Dale Coyne - a Chevy and a Honda.

M

+++

Two announcements for the 2023 Indy 500…

Last month we had two teams give us their one-off drivers for the Indy 500 and we wanted to acknowledge them at this time.

First, announced in early November Arrow McLaren SP will put the evergreen Tony Kanaan in a 4th Chevrolet for the Indy 500, as the veteran and former WINNER joins series regulars Pato O’Ward, Felix Rosenqvist and fellow former WINNER Alexander Rossi on the track in an attempt to get in the race. This has to be one of the strongest squads in the race, given the past performances at the Speedway of the quartet.

TK goes for another Indy 500 WIN in 2023
TonyKanaan

Said Tony, “I feel extremely lucky to get another shot racing in the Indy 500. I’m excited to work with Pato, Felix and Alexander and race with the Arrow McLaren SP team. My biggest battle in last year’s race was against these three drivers so working with them and driving with them will be exciting for all of us.”

Tony’s Chevy will carry the colors of NTT Data, which after ten seasons with Chip Ganassi, decided that for 2023 to switch to the Arrow boys.

Announced in mid-November, Cusick Motorsports will form a partnership with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing to put 33-year-old Brit Stefan Wilson in the # 24 Chevy, carrying branding from many of the same companies featured on the last two Wilson/Cusick Indy 500 entries, along with new sponsor CareKeepers, which has stepped up to serve as the co-primary sponsor.

Stefan Wilson - 3rd try at Indy in 3 years.
StefanWilson

Said Stefan, “There’s history here with this team – Justin spent two years with DRR back in 2010-2011 and secured podiums. I got to know Dennis (Reinbold), Brett De Bord, Director of Commercial Operations, and Chase Selman, General Manager, really well back then, so it feels great to be rejoining them in a sense.”

This partnership gives Stefan a great deal more time to prepare for the race than he has had in the past, with the hope that it will make a critical difference. Unfortunately for Sage Karam, this was the car that he usually drives for DRR in the Indy 500, where he has had much success, putting in two TOP TENS in the last two year. He will now be looking for another ride for the race.

Sage Karam
SageKaram_zps79ffdad3

DRR has another Chevy available, but it may come at a cost that Karam’s sponsors are unwilling to pay.

M

+++

Big names from IndyCar already lining up for the Rolex 24 at Daytona for 2023…

This is a marquee event for motor racing and one that always captures several IndyCar guys. Due to the nature of the race, being over 24 hours, the IMSA teams that will compete will always need several hired guns to fill in the regular squads and there is no better place to find true talent than in the IndyCar paddock. Several of the very best open wheel drivers from the series are also exceptional and race WINNING SportsCar drivers.

last year we saw current IndyCar names like Dixon, VeeKay, Pagenaud, Castroneves, Rossi, Defrancesco, O’Ward, Herta, Kirkwood and others step into the Daytona paddock to lend a hand. They are all likely to again, in 2023. This coming Rolex 24 will also have two NEW names to add to that list, as Josef Newgarden and Scott McLaughlin come to the LMP2 class to race in the 24. The Penske “Bus Bros” will join John Farano and current Indy Lights driver Kyffin Simpson in the # 8 Tower Motorsports ORECA 07 Gibson.

The Bus Bros, Newgarden (left), and McLaughlin are coming to Daytona in January
NewgyScott

Believe it or not, 2021 FR Americas Champion Kyffin Simpson, at 18 years old, has FAR more SportsCar experience than either one of his IndyCar brethren. In 2022 Kyffin raced at Daytona and four other venues for Gradient Racing in the # 66 Acura NSX GT3, eventually taking the WIN in the GTD class at the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in early October, co-driving with Til Bechtolsheimer and Mario Farnbacher. The 2023 Rolex 24 at Daytona will be the FIRST ever SportsCar race for both Newgarden and McLaughlin.

In addition, Canadian John Farano is simply one of the best prototype drivers in the business,. He is the current LMP2 class Champion in this very car, making this altogether a VERY accomplished squad.

Aces in the hole Kyffin Simpson…
KyffinSimpson300-4

…and John Farano
JohnFarano150-1

Said Newgarden, “This is definitely an event that was on my bucket list, along with the 24 Hours of Le Mans, so I am beyond grateful for this opportunity. We’re a group of very competitive people, and we all want to win. I think this is a very exciting challenge, and I believe this team can accomplish great things together. I have a close relationship with Scott, as well, and I couldn’t be happier to be doing this with him as teammates.”

Said McLaughlin, “I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to race with this amazing group of drivers. This is a stellar lineup and a perfect chance to show what we can do together. This is a proven crew that clearly knows how to win races, and that’s exactly what we’re setting out to accomplish at Daytona."

And finally, Kyffin said, “I’m proud to join Tower Motorsports in the LMP2 class at the 24 Hours of Daytona. I’m thankful for John Farano’s support and am counting down the days to join him, Josef, Scott and the entire team. We’re looking forward to putting our best foot forward with our eyes set on victory lane.”

In addition to the Rolex 24 Kyffin will join Tower for the other three WeatherTech endurances races, as well, fitting them around his current Indy NXT ride with HMD Motorsports.

The Tower Motorsports # 8 ORECA 07 Gibson
LMP2WINNERS

M

+++

The Road to Indy + 1 keeps adding names to the CONFIRMED driver lists…

Starting with Indy NXT, we have TWO confirmations for Juncos Hollinger Racing as 2022 Indy Pro 2000 Vice-Champion Reece Gold comes to the team’s Lights car in 2023. Gold has been a TOP Road to Indy performer over the last few years, with 10 podiums and 2 WINS in USF2000 for Cape Motorsports and 14 podiums and 5 WINS in Indy Pro 2000 - now USF Pro 2000 - all for Juncos.

Reece Gold
reecegold

Said 18-year-old Reece, “I am happy to be staying with Juncos Hollinger racing for INDY NXT in 2023. I have had two great seasons with JHR in Indy Pro 2000, with this past season being our best, picking up four wins and second in the championship. We have already shown great progress in testing for 2023, and I am looking forward to the season. Thank you to The Ticket Clinic and everyone at Juncos Hollinger Racing for their support.”

In addition to Gold, JHR has announced that Italian-Argentinian F3 / F2 driver Matteo Nannini will compete in Indy NXT in 2023, alongside Gold. The 19-year-old impressed Ricardo Juncos at the 2021 Chris Griffis Memorial Test, scoring 3rd of 14 drivers, (see post # 1516), but a seat for 2022 was not available at that time.

Matteo Nannini
MatteoNannini300-

Said Matteo, “I am very excited to have confirmed with Juncos Hollinger Racing after the positive tests last year. It’s a great opportunity to be able to race in America, and I don’t want to waste it. I have great respect for (team co-owner) Ricardo (Juncos), and I’m sure we could do great things together. INDY NXT is the best springboard to continue my journey toward INDYCAR. I thank the people who are helping me, especially my business partner, for making this possible.”

In USF Pro 2000 news Kiko Porto has re-signed with DEForce Racing for his sophomore year in the series. Porto had a great rookie season of Indy Pro 2000, with no less than 14 TOP TENS, including 3 podiums and a WIN at Mid-Ohio. The 19-year-old from Recife, Brazil came to the series as the USF2000 2021 Champion.

Kiko Porto
KikoPorto300-1

Said Kiko, “So happy to continue with the blue family. Looking forward to achieving the same success we had in the past. Thanks to DEForce Racing for giving me this opportunity once again. Let’s finish in the best way.”

In more USF Pro 2000 news Pabst Racing has resigned Jordan Missig for a sophomore season in 2023. Missig is one of those drivers that wants to sample all that racing can give him and has experience in Lamborghini Super Trofeo, Formula Regional Americas, Radical Cup North America and karting. His 2022 rookie season with Pabst was fruitful, with 12 TOP TENS and a best finish of P6 at both Lucas Oil Raceway and Portland, showing his versatility on different types of tracks. Missig will join USF Pro 2000 rookie Jace Denmark on the squad.

Jordan Missig
JordanMissig300-1

Said Jordan, “I couldn’t be happier to be back with Pabst Racing for USF Pro 2000 in 2023. I’ve been putting in lots of hard work, time and dedication into myself for this upcoming season and I couldn’t feel more ready to get back to work with the Pabst guys.”

Evagoras Papasavvas has rejoined the Jay Howard Driver Development program for the 2023 season on USF2000. The 14-year-old had a 10-race short season with the team in 2022, due to an injury, but improved as the season wound down. At the Fall Combines in October Eva really turned it on and came in 8th out of 25 drivers, cracking the TOP FIVE 3 times, with excellent consistency, too.

Evagoras Papasavvas
EvagorasPapasavvas300-1

Said Eva of the news, “A huge thank you to my partnership base and to everyone at the Jay Howard Driver Development program for their help and support. I couldn’t think of another program that I would want to be with for my first full season of car racing and look forward to building on the knowledge and success from this past season.”

Evagoras is the fourth USF2000 driver confirmed by JHDD as he will join the already-confirmed Lochie Hughes, Louka St-Jean and Al Morey.

M

+++

A BIG GUN lands at DEForce in USF2000 for 2023…

In the inaugural season of USF Juniors there was no one better than Canadian Mackenzie Clark, the first series Champion. Mac had a STELLAR year, with no less than 15 TOP FIVES, 12 podiums and 5 WINS for DEForce Racing. He also WON his first USF2000 race at the end of the regular season, in Portland, besting the series regulars. Now, the 18-year-old from Milton, Ontario, Canada has committed to returning to DEForce for his inaugural season of USF2000.

Mac Clark
MacClark300-3

Said Mac, “I am super happy to announce that I will be continuing with DEForce Racing in 2023. We have a lot of momentum to build on from last year’s campaign and I’m really looking forward to this coming season in USF2000. I believe our team has what it takes to fight for the championship. I am extremely thankful to the entire team for this opportunity, it’s one big family. LETS GO!”

Joining Mac and already-CONFIRMED Maxwell Jamieson on the DEForce USF2000 squad will be Mexican Jorge “George” Garciarce who spent his rookie season in 2022 with Jay Howard Driver Development, where he collected 6 TOP TENS with a best finish of P6 at Portland. George was clearly improving as the year went on, too.

George Garciarce
GeorgeGarciarce300-2

The 17-year-old from Guadalajara, Mexico said, “I am happy to join DEForce next season and excited to see what the future holds. I gained a lot of experience this year and I want to have a strong season with lots of success next year, and I think that joining DEForce is the best option to achieve this.”

In other USF2000 news, 18-year-old Texan Avery Towns will be joining Exclusive Autosport for the 2023 season. Avery got his start in formula cars by competing for the last two years in the SCCA’s Formula X series where he had multiple WINS and the U.S. Majors points championships in both of those years, preparing him for the jump to the Road to Indy. The Mazda Rotary-powered cars are quite a handful and Towns has shown ability in them.

Avery Towns in his Formula X Formula Mazda car
AveryTownsMazda

Avery Towns
AveryTowns300-1

Said Avery, “I am so thankful for this opportunity to compete in the USF2000 series this upcoming season. I’d like to give a massive ‘thank you’ to everyone involved, especially my parents who have supported me throughout the process. I’m super excited to be working with Exclusive Autosport for 2023 and I cannot wait for the season opener at St. Pete!”

Towns’ driver coach has been American W series star Sabre Cook, who has recent experience in both USF Pro 2000 and USF2000. That will give him a leg up. His only teammate so far is Kiwi Jacob Douglas.

Sabre Cook
SabreCook150-2

M

+++

Parker Thompson gets the nod from Vasser Sullivan for a WeatherTech ride…

Announced today, Canadian Road to Indy ace and 2022 Porsche Carrera Cup North America Champion Parker Thompson has been tapped to be the “add” in the # 12 Lexus RCF GT3 for the Vasser Sullivan GTD class entry in all four WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Michelin Endurance Cup races in 2023, helping out the team regulars Frankie Montecalvo and fellow Road to Indy ace and Champion Aaron Telitz - both recently re-upped for the 2023 season.

Parker Thompson
ParkerThompson300

Said Parker, “I can’t thank Sulli and Jimmy Vasser enough for this opportunity. They’ve put together an amazing group of engineers and crew members. I’m very proud to drive the Lexus brand and represent both them and Vasser Sullivan in 2023. I’m looking forward to making my professional WeatherTech debut.

“My first impression of the Lexus RC F GT3 after driving it during our recent test is it’s pretty awesome. It has a lot of horsepower on the bottom end and you’ve got to make sure you watch the rear tires. It’s a really cool car and has a lot more weight in the front than I’m used to driving, but nothing I can’t adapt to. It’s got a steering wheel, four wheels and a motor. I’m really looking forward to my first Rolex 24 at Daytona in January.”

Vasser Sullivan has also recently re-upped the contract on Brits Ben Barnicoat and Road to Indy ace and Champion Jack Hawksworth for the GTD Pro class Lexus RCF GT3 # 14, but have not yet named their "add’ in that car for the Michelin Cup races.

Fellow Road to Indy aces Hawksworth (left) and Telitz
JackHawksworth150-6AaronTelitz150-8

M

+++

Catching up with the Road to Indy + 1…

There’s very little driver news at this time of the off season, but we do have a few “gets” to report from two of the four ladder series and some other news:

In USF Juniors Texan Ethan Barker, who ran in 2022 with the family team Barker Racing will switch to join VRD Racing in 2023 for his full sophomore season. Ethan had a very productive partial rookie 2022 season, with 5 TOP TENS and a best finish of P7, three times in 12 races.

But that was only ONE of the accomplishments of the 17-year-old Houstonian whose racing pedigree goes all the way back to age 8 when he started in Bandoleros on paved ovals. He graduates to Legacy cars by age 13, WINNING the Gulf Coast Series Legacy Championship in 2020. He later added driving a ProTruck on paved oval tracks in and around the Gulf Coast area. Barker has also raced a Mazda Miata, an MX-5 Cup car, and a Spec Miata in SCCA and NASA competition. Ethan WON the SCCA T4 Championship for the SCCA Southwest Division in 2020, 2021 and 2022, and he was named Rookie of the Year by the Houston Region of SCCA in 2020.

By now, Ethan has raced in 8 different disciplines and has amassed some 62 podiums, 37 of which were WINS. One of those podiums was obtained in 2022 with VRD in F4 United States, which he also participated in, in a part-time way.

Ethan Barker - used to WINNING ways
EthanBarker300

Said Ethan, “A huge thanks to Dan Mitchell and all the guys at VRD Racing for the opportunity to be part of the winning program. Since my first podium with them late this past season, I knew where I wanted to race in 2023. They are a great program, have a proven track record, and I look forward to my newest challenge, USF Juniors.”

Also in the Juniors, 15-year-old Brazilian Erick Schotten will drive a rookie season for Exclusive Autosport. Erick is the 2022 Champion of the Brazilian Formula Delta series, with eight WINS, two poles, and 13 podiums. His superb season was his first in formula cars of any kind.

Erick Schotten - a Champion at 15 - with EA’s Michael Duncalf
ErickSchotten

Said Erick, “Competing in USF Juniors is like a dream come true. I’m very excited for this championship, especially for being with Exclusive Autosport, one of the most well-respected USF Pro Championships teams. I am very confident that in working with my experienced engineer Lou D’Agostino, we will get the best out of myself and the equipment. I can’t thank my family, my father and my mother enough for their unconditional support and also my coach Rafa Matos for guiding me in these first steps in American motorsports. I’m looking forward on being competitive and fighting for wins and the championship.”

In USF Pro 2000 news, Italian F3 star Francesco Pizzi has decided to run a full season with new UP2K team TJ Speed. After his start in karting, Pizzi has earned numerous open-wheel race WINS throughout Europe with his most dominant season coming in 2020. Competing in the Formula UAE Championship, he scored three poles, eight race WINS and 10 podiums to earn the title. That same year he also earned three WINS and seven podiums to score Vice-Championship honors in the Italian F4 Championship. Since then, he has been in FR Europe and FIA F3.

Francesco was at the Fall Combines in October, driving for Jay Howard Driver Development and was quite consistent in his first outings in the IP-22 car, posting 10th. We reckon that it won’t be long before the 18-year-old is collecting podiums for TJ Speed.

Francesco Pizzi
FrancescoPizzi300

Said Francesco, “I am ready. It is great to finally know where I will race in 2023, and I could not be more excited. After a few tests with a couple of different programs in the USA, we have chosen TJ Speed in our quest for the title. I look forward to hitting the ground running with additional tests in January, and I can’t wait to get started.

“I am looking forward to the new challenges that North America brings. My goal is to be an IndyCar driver so 2023 will give me the opportunity to learn the series, the tracks and my competition and to be able to do this with TJ Speed gives us a great chance at earning race wins, podium results and the championship.”

In other USF Pro 2000 news, After posting an outstanding Fall Combines effort, Irishman Jonathan Browne will return to Turn 3 Motorsport in 2023 for his sophomore year in USF Pro 2000 The 22-year-old secured his first pole position at the Indianapolis Grand Prix last year and ended the season by topping 2 of the 6 sessions at the Fall Combines and coming in P2 in 2 other sessions - outstanding!.

Jonathan Browne

Said Jonathan, “I’m very happy to be back with Turn 3 Motorsport for the 2023 season. We have learned a lot during last season that I believe will help us have a stronger season this year. The post-season tests have gone really well in developing our car and my skills, so I am looking forward to keeping the momentum going into the coming weeks and hitting the ground running in our first race at St. Petersburg.”

Finally, in Indy NXT news, (formerly Indy Lights), Ireland’s James Roe has been announced as the 4th driver on the 2023 Andretti Autosport squad, joining rookies Jamie Chadwick and Louis Foster and sophomore Hunter McElrea.

James Roe
JamesRoe300-2

The 24-year-old drove in Indy Pro 2000 for Turn 3 Motorsports in 2021, collecting a WIN for the team before moving to the Indy Lights in 2022, driving for TJ Speed, which was widely regarded as a hapless team in that series, while simultaneously making champions in FR Americas. It’s hoped and expected that Andretti can give Roe a much more competitive package and return him to his WINNING ways.

Said James,“I’m incredibly excited to be joining Andretti Autosport for the 2023 INDY NXT season with (sponsor) Topcon. To join a global team as successful as Andretti Autosport and align myself with their iconic brand is a massive moment for my career, both on and off the racetrack. We’ve put in a tremendous effort to get to this point, and I want to thank Michael Andretti, J-F Thormann and Rob Edwards for the opportunity. I’d also like to thank Topcon for their continued support, and I look forward to the challenge that lies ahead. I have full confidence that we have all the right ingredients for success.”

NOTE that Andretti is making noises like they now have their complete 2023 squad. That means that Matthew Brabham is likely NOT returning to do battle in Indy NXT for 2023. Also note that 2022 Vice-Champion Sting Ray Robb is also not listed as an Andretti Driver for 2023. Sting Ray is pursuing and IndyCar ride at this moment and the rumor is he is close to securing one.

Matthew Brabham (left) and Sting Ray Robb
MatthewBrabham150-4StingRay150-

M

+++

Finally, the IndyCar Silly Season is over…

Over the last week the last three available rides were taken and with them, the roster for the 2023 IndyCar season is full. There will be 27 full-time entrants, as far as cars go. One of those cars, the # 11 Honda for Chip Ganassi, will have two drivers share the car, as announced this week, Takuma Sato will drive the car on ovals while previously-confirmed Brit Marcus Armstrong will drive the car on the twisty tracks. That gives Takuma 5 starts - Texas, Indianapolis for the 500, two at Iowa and Gateway. Joining Takuma as an oval-only driver will be Ed Carpenter for Ed Carpenter Racing, expanding the field to 28 cars when he’s there for the same five races.

Takuma Sato - Ovalmeister
TakumaSato2

Ed Carpenter
EdCarpenter150-5

Last week, on the 12th of January, Ricardo Juncos finally verified that 15-time Argentinian touring car champion Agustin Canapino will drive the full season in the new 2nd Juncos Hollinger Racing Chevrolet, the # 78, alongside returning sophomore Callum Ilott.

Said Agustin, “For me, this is a great opportunity so I am very grateful to Ricardo Juncos, Brad Hollinger and all the sponsors that are making this possible. I’m going to do my best in every moment to get the best possible results.”

Ricardo (left) and Agustin in Argentina, last November

The only car left available at that point was the # 51 Honda vacated by Sato at Dale Coyne Racing w/ Rick Ware Racing and that car will be driven by rookie Sting Ray Robb, who was the Indy Lights Vice-Champion for Andretti Autosport in 2022.

Sting Ray makes the move
StingRayRobb300-

Said the 21-year-old America from Payete, Idaho, “This is an opportunity – a dream – that has been long in the making. I’m honored to join forces with Dale Coyne and his whole organization. I am excited and grateful to be on the IndyCar grid for 2023. We had a great first test together in early January and I was very impressed with the efficiency of the DCR team and how well we worked together in our first day.”

Sting Ray secured the job with an excellent test with the DCR boys at Sebring on January 4th, where he topped the sessions with three other cars for most of the day, but finally fell to 2nd place to Ferrari Formula 1 test driver Robert Shwartzman in the final hour, also testing for Coyne.

Robert Shwartzman
RobertShwartzman150-1

Now that the field is set, the next thing for the entire roster will be the series Spring Test at the Thermal Club, the 2.9-mile, 17-turn circuit located within a private country club near the town of Palm Springs. That will be Thursday and Friday, February 2-3. That will also be just two days after the completion of the 24 Hours of Daytona, which will be driven by about half of the IndyCar drivers. Testing for Daytona begins today, with the Roar Before the Rolex 24 - the object of our next post.

M

+++

It’s time for IMSA’s racing season to begin, with the Roar Before the Rolex 24…

The new season of IMSA SportsCar racing begins this weekend with this event, which is essentially the precursor to the first race of the year for the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship - the Rolex 24 at Daytona. Anyone wishing to drive in the Rolex 24 will HAVE TO participate in the Roar, first, and that includes all the IndyCar folks who will driving in this first endurance race of the season. In addition, the Michelin Pilot Challenge series will have their own practices for the Daytona weekend. Also, a new series, the VP Racing SportsCar Challenge has its inaugural 2 races of their season, this weekend.

roar_zpst5gxb3vc

As we mentioned, there will be a considerable number of both current and former IndyCar drivers and Road to Indy drivers in SportsCars, this weekend. Let’s see who they are and what they will drive, starting with a new class for the WeatherTech series, the LMDh class, known as the GTP class in IMSA competition. LMDh cars will also be able the run in WEC events and at Le Mans. They are all hybrid cars, with both electric and internal combustion motivation.

GTP class - IndyCar driver Scott Dixon is the “add” for the 24 Hours at Daytona in the new # 01 Cadillac V-LMDh for Cadillac Racing. Scott will help out regulars Renger van der Zande and IndyCar driver Sebastien Bourdias.

Scott Dixon (left) and Sebastien Bourdais
ScottDixon150-7Seb_zpsprf4gzph

IndyCar driver Colton Herta will be an add for the # 24 BMW M Hybrid V8 for BMW M Team RLL. Colton joins Augusto Farfus, Marco Wittmann and Philipp Eng.

Colton Herta
ColtonHerta150-1

Former Road to Indy ace Connor de Phillippe will be a series regular in the # 25 BMW M Hybrid V8 for BMW M Team RLL. He will be joined by Nick Yelloly, Sheldon van der Linde and Colton Herta, who will be pulling double duty for the team at Daytona.

Connor de Phillippe (left) and Colton Herta
5022a97f-df92-45f3-a1ed-23852e5d1d80_zps7ynabsqtColtonHerta150-7

Former Indy Pro 2000 driver Pipo Derani returns for another season at the wheel of the Whelen Cadillac for Action Express, this time the new # 31 Cadillac V-LMDh. He will be joined by Brits Alexander Sims and Jack Aitken.

Luis “Pipo” Derani
PipoDerani150-4

Former DPi class Champion and Rolex race WINNER Helio Castroneves and fellow Meyer Shank Racing IndyCar driver Simon Pagenaud will help out in the # 10 Acura ARX-06 LMDh for Meyer Shank’s IMSA team. They will supplement regulars Tom Blomqvist and Colin Braun.

Helio Castroneves (left) and Simon Pagenaud
HelioCastroneves150-1SimonPagenaud150-5

LMP2 class - Former IndyCar driver Ben Hanley will co-drive the # 04 ORECA 07 Gibson for Crowdstrike Racing by APR. He will share the car with George Kurtz, Matt McMurry and Esteban Gutierrez.

Ben Hanley
edited-image_zps80xley4i

The # 8 Tower Motorsports ORECA 07 Gibson will be heavy with IndyCar talent for the Rolex 24, with regular John Farano getting help from IndyCar drivers Scott McLaughlin and Josef Newgarden in their SportrsCar debuts and Indy NXT driver Kyffin Simpson who is the old hand at SportsCars, with a few years experience and a WIN last season at Road Atlanta.

Scott McLaughlin (left) Josef Newgarden and Kyffin Simpson (right)
ScottMcLaughlin150-5JosefNewgarden150-7KyffinSimpson150-4

IndyCar driver Rinus VeeKay is getting to be an old hand at SportsCars himself and he will supplement the # 11 ORECA 07 Gibson for TDS Racing, driven by Steven Thomas, Mikkel Jensen and Scott Huffaker.

Rinus VeeKay
RinusVeeKay150-7

Current Indy NXT driver Christian Rasmussen will join Dwight Merriman, Ryan Dalziel and Oliver Jarvis in the # 18 ORECA 07 Gibson for Era Motorsport.

Christian Rasmussen
ChristianRasmussen150-7

Former IndyCar driver and Indy Lights Champ Ed Jones will join Dennis Andersen, Anders Fjordbach and Raffaele Marciello in the # 20 ORECA for High Class Racing.

Ed Jones
Ed150_zpsngqpsbq4

Young Road to Indy phenom and Indy NXT driver Josh Pierson will be a driver In the TDS Racing # 35 ORECA, joining Francois Heriau, Giedo van der Garde and Job Van Uitert.

Josh Pierson
Josh Pierson150-2

IndyCar driver Devlin DeFrancesco returns to SportsCar competition in the # 51 ORECA for Rick Ware Racing, with Eric Lux, Austin Cindric and Pietro Fittipaldi. Devlin had a WIN for DragonSpeed last season.

Devlin DeFrancesco
DevlinDeFrancesco150-1

LMP3 class - The # 36 Andretti Autosport Ligier JS P320 is an all-IndyCar squad with Lights drivers Jarett Andretti and Rasmus Lindh, Lights Champ and IndyCar driver Gabby Chaves and Road to Indy ace Dakota Dickerson - a strong group.

Jarett Andretti (left), Rasmus Lindh, Gabby Chaves (right)…
JarettAndretti150-3rasmus_zpszcadxunuGabbyChaves150-1

…and Dakota Dickerson
DakotaDickerson150-5

Road to Indy ace Cameron Shields is a co-driver in the # 38 Performance Tech Motorsports Ligier JS P320 with fellow drivers John DeAngelis, Christopher Allen and Connor Bloum.

Cameron Shields
CameronShields150-3

Former Indy Lights driver Antonio Serravalle will be in the # 87 Duqueine D08 for FastMD Racing alongside Yu Kanamaru, Nick Boulle and James Vance.

Antonio Serravalle
AntonioSerravalle150-2

GTD Pro class - IndyCar driver and Indy Pro 2000 Champion Jack Hawksworth returns to once again pilot the # 14 Lexus RCF GT3 for Vasser Sullivan with fellow Brit Ben Barnicoat. Helping them out will be fellow Brit and former IndyCar race WINNER Mike Conway. Conway is a certified genius in prototypes, but here he will be making his GT class car racing debut.

Jack Hawksworth (left) and Mike Conway
JackHawksworth150-1MikeConway150-3

IndyCar driver Romain Grosjean will be an add in the # 63 Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO2 for Iron Lynx, joining Andrea Caldarelli, Mirko Bortolotti and Jordan Pepper. This will be Romain’s first SportsCar race since 2010.

Romain Grosjean
RoamainGrosjean150-2

GTD class - Road to Indy ace and Indy Pro 2000 Champ Aaron Telitz returns for another season behind the wheel of the # 12 Lexus RCF GT3 for Vasser Sullivan, reteaming with Frankie Montecalvo. For Daytona they will get help from fellow Road to Indy ace and IndyCar driver Kyle Kirkwood and another Road to Indy ace, Parker Thompson, newly crowned Champion of Porsche Carrera Cup, North America. Lots of talent, here.

Aaron Telitz (left) Kyle Kirkwood and Parker Thompson (right)
TelitzWin_zps513njnp3KyleKirkwood150-7ParkerThompson150-5

One of the best Porsche drivers in North America with multiple titles in the car is IndyCar driver Jan Heylen. He will drive the # 16 Porsche 911 GT3 R for Wright Motorsports with fellow regular Ryan Hardwick. They will be joined by another Porsche ace, Zacharie Robichon, and Dennis Olsen.

Jan Heylen
JanHeylen150-2

Another Porsche ace is Road to Indy driver Trenton Estep and he will pilot the # 53 Porsche 911 GT3 R for MDK Motorsports with Mark Kvamme, Jan Magnussen and Jason Hart.

Trenton Estep
TrentonEstep150-2

Former Champ Car driver and GTD class Vice-Champion Katherine Legge returns to full-time racing this season in the # 66 Acura NSX GT3 for Gradient Racing with fellow regular Sheena Monk. Katherine WON her V-C driving an NSX for Mike Shank. They will be aided at Dayton by Mario Farnbacher and Marc Miller.

Katherine Legge
KatherineLegge150-5

Former IndyCar driver Ryan Briscoe will drive the # 93 Acura NSX GT3 for Racers Edge Motorsports w/ WTR. Co-drivers will be Ashton Harrison, Danny Formal and Kyle Marcelli.

Ryan Briscoe
db7b5028-bf78-4f97-9b98-f76415f37be8_zpsx3epdkc9

The Michelin Pilot Challenge series has a few IndyCar folks in it too, starting with the Grand Sports class:

GS class - Road to Indy driver Wyatt Brichacek will driver the # 19 Aston Martin Vantage GT4 for van der Steur Racing co-driving with Rory van der Steur and fellow Road to Indy driver Austin McCusker.

Wyatt Brichacek (left) and Austin McCusker
Wyatt2_zpsnjmlqysuAustinMcCusker150-3

Former USF2000 Champion Eric Filgueiras will drive the # 28 Porsche 718 GT4 RS CS for RS1 with Stevan McAleer.

Eric Filgueiras
EricFilgueiras150-1

Road to Indy ace and Indy NXT driver Nolan Siegel will drive the # 39 Porsche 718 GT4 RS CS for CarBahn with Peregrine Racing with co-drivers Sean McAlister and Jeff Westphal.

Nolan Siegel
NolanSiegel150-1

Indy Lights race WINNER Rob Megennis will co-drive the # 95 Turner Motorsport BMW M4 GT4 with Cameron Lawrence.

Rob Megennis
RobMegennis_zpsirpm4wxv

The only former IndyCar driver in the TCR class so far is Robert Wickens in the # 33 Hyundai Elantra N TCR for Bryan Herta Autosport. Robby, a paraplegic, drives the car using hand controls. His co-driver, Harry Gottsacker, uses conventional controls when he is in the car.

Robby Wickens
RobertWickens150-3

The new series, VP Racing SportsCar Challenge replaces what used to be IMSA Prototype Challenge, which was only for LMP3 prototype cars. VP Racing SportsCar Challenge will still have the LMP3 prototypes, but added will be GT4 cars, as well, all racing at the same time in two sprint races per weekend. The GT4 will be called the GSX class.

There are two IndyCar drivers in the LMP3 class and none in the GSX class. The two are:

USF Pro 2000 driver Bijoy Garg is jumping into SportsCars this week for the inaugural event, driving the # 3 Ligier JS P320 for Jr III Racing

Bijoy Garg
BijoyGarg150-3

Road to Indy alum Courtney Crone will drive the # 99 Duqueine D08 for Forty7 Motorsports. Courtney, a former Formula Car Challenge Champ, was the winner of IMSA’s Diverse Driver Development Scholarship for the 2023 season.

Courtney Crone
CourtneyCrone150-2

Testing starts on Friday at Daytona will all three series getting a bite of the track.

M

+++

Saturday at Daytona - VP Racing SportsCar Challenge makes its debut…

…with Season Round 1, the first of two sprint races for the weekend. On Friday the series held two practice sessions for both the P3 and the GSX classes. This morning the series qualified, and this afternoon Race 1 came off.

The WINNER, overall and in P3 class was Dan Goldburg in the # 73 Duqueine D08 for JDC Motorsports, from his P2 start. Coming in P2 was Brian Thienes in the # 77 Ligier JS P320 for US RaceTronics from his P5 start while P3 went to USF Pro 2000 driver Bijoy Garg in the # 3 Ligier for Jr III Racing from pole - a nice start in his SportsCar debut.

Your happy P3 class podium - That’s Bijoy Garg in P3 on the left, Dan Goldburg in P1 in the middle and Brian Thienes in P2 on the right:

DanGoldbergWIN

In GSX class the WINNER was Billy Griffin in the # 14 Ford Mustang GT4 for KOHR Motorsports from his pole start. P2 went to Moisey Uretsky in the # 44 Aston Martin Vantage GT4 for Accelerating Performance from his P3 start while P3 went to Patrick Wilmot in the Split Decision Motorsports # 88 BMW M4 GT4 from a P11 start.

Your happy GSX class podium - That’s Patrick Wilmont in P3 on the left, Billy Griffin in P1 in the middle (behind Bibendum), and Moisey Uretsky in P2 on the right:

GSX WInners
When the cars were on track for qualifying this morning, they also set the grid for Sunday’s Race 2 of the weekend, by utilizing the 2nd fastest lap of each driver. We have the TOP THREE qualifiers for each class here:

LMP3 class - On the pole will be Dan Goldburg in the # 73 Duqueine D08 for JDC Motorsports with a time of 1:43.534s for a speed of 123.785mph. Dan bested UP2K driver Bijoy Garg in the # 3 Ligier JS P320 for Jr III Racing by a TEENSY 0.019 seconds. Starting 3rd will be Road to Indy alum Courtney Crone in the # 99 Duqueine D08 for Forty7 Motorsports - great starts for both the IndyCar drivers in the field.

The # 73 Duqueine D08 for JDC Motorsports - on the pole in P3 class
DanGoldburgJDCMotorsports

Dan Goldburg
DanGoldburg150-1

GSX class - on the pole will once again be Billy Griffin the # 14 Ford Mustang GT4 for KOHR Motorsports with a time of 1:54.466s for a speed of 111.963mph. Billy beat out Moisey Uretsky in the # 44 Aston Martin Vantage GT4 for Accelerating Performance by 0.083 seconds. Starting 3rd will be Sebastian Carazo in the # 27 Porsche 718 GT4 RS CS for Kellymoss with Riley.

Billy Griffin and the # 14 Ford Mustang GT4 for KOHR Motorsports - on the pole in GSX class
BillyGriffinKOHrMotorsports-2

The race is scheduled for midday on Sunday…

M

+++

On Friday and today the Michelin Pilot Challenge gang held practices…

Four practices have been held so far and we have COMBINED the results to give you the TOP THREE cars and drivers from each class:

Grand Sport class - Topping the class was young Luca Mars in the # 59 KOHR Motorsports Ford Mustang GT4 with a P-1 session time of 1:53.042s for a speed of 113.373mph. Luca bested the P-2 session time of Zane Smith in the # 42 PF Racong Ford Mustang GT4 by 0.117 seconds. Clearly, the Fords are on the edge, because posting 3rd fastest was Chad McCumbee with his P-3 session time in the McCumbee McAleer Racing with AEROSPORT # 13 Ford Mustang GT4.

Luca shares the # 59 with Bob Michaelian while Zane shares the # 42 with James Pesek and Harrison Burton. Chad’s co-driver in the # 13 is Jenson Altzman.

The # 59 KOHR Motorsports Ford Mustang GT4 - TOPS in practice, so far
LucaMarsKOHRMotorsports

Luca Mars
LucaMars150-1

Touring Car class - Tops in practice has been Victor Gonzalez in the # 99 Honda Civic FK7 TCR for Victor Gonzalez Racing Team with a P-2 session time of 1:58.004s for a speed of 108.606mph. Victor beat out Jon Morley’s P-3 session time in the # 61 Audi RS3 LMS SEQ for Road Shagger Racing by 0.037 seconds. Third quickest was Karl Wittmer with his own P-2 time in the # 99 Honda for VGRT, which is clearly the hot wagon of the class.

Jon shares his Audi with Gavin Ernstone.

The # 99 Honda Civic FK7 TCR for Victor Gonzalez Racing Team - TOPS in practices
VGRT#99Honda

Victor Gonzales
VictorGonzales150-1

The MPC gang will have one more outing this weekend on Sunday.

M

+++

The WeatherTech gang have held 5 practice sessions, so far…

All five classes of the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship have been on track for practice, twice on Friday and three times today. The P-5 session was the necessary night session and it was affected by rain. We have COMBINED the sessions to give you the TOP THREE cars and drivers for each class:

GTP class - Topping the two days was Colin Braun with his P4 session time in the # 60 Acura ARX-06 for Meyer Shank Racing with a time of 1:35.038s for a speed of 134.851mph. Colin bested the P-4 session time of Brendan Hartley in the # 10 Konica Minolta Acura ARX-06 for Wayne Taylor Racing w/ Andretti Autosport by 0.118 seconds. Third quickest is Helio Castroneves with his P-2 session effort in the # 60 Acura ARX-06 for Meyer Shank Racing.

Colin and Helio share the # 60 with Tom Blomqvist and IndyCar driver Simon Pagenaud. Brendan shares the # 10 with Filipe Albuquerque, Ricky Taylor and Louis Deletraz.

The # 60 Acura ARX-06 for Meyer Shank Racing - TOPPED the first 4 sessions!
MeyerShankRacing AcuraARX-06

Colin Braun
ColinBraun150-1

LMP2 class - Tops for the two days was former IndyCar driver Ben Hanley with his P-4 session time in the # 04 Crowdstrike Racing by APR ORECA 07 Gibson with a time of 1:38.633s for a speed of 129.936mph. Ben beat out the P-2 session time of Mikkel Jensen in the # 11 TDS Racing ORECA by 0.097 seconds. Third quickest was Nicolas Lapierre with a P-3 session effort in the # 52 ORECA for PR1 Mathiasen Motorsports.

Ben shares the # 04 with George Kurtz, Matt McMurry and Esteban Gutierrez while Mikkel shares the # 11 with Steven Thomas, Scott Huffaker and IndyCar driver Rinus VeeKay. Nicolas shares the # 52 with Ben Keating, Paul-Loup Chatin and Alex Quinn.

The # 04 Crowdstrike Racing by APR ORECA 07 Gibson - TOPS in practice
CrowdstrikeRacingORECA

Ben Hanley
benhanley_zpsygvna8vh

LMP3 class - Topping the five sessions was Road to Indy ace driver Dakota Dickerson in the # 36 Ligier JS P320 for Andretti Autosport with his P-3 session time of 1:42.653s for a speed of 124.848mph. Dakota bested co-driver and IndyCar driver Gabby Chaves’ P-2 session time by 0.273 seconds. Third quickest was Nico Pino with a P-4 session effort in the # 33 Sean Creech Motorsport Ligier.

Dakota and Gabby share the # 36 Ligier with fellow IndyCar drivers Rasmus Lindh and Jarett Andretti while Nico shares the # 33 with Lance Willsey, Danny Soufi and Joao Barbosa.

The # 36 Ligier JS P320 for Andretti Autosport - TOPS in practice
AndrettiAutosportLigie#36

Dakota Dickerson
C2jX7lzXcAAh1Cg_zpsiopbfzgp

GTD Pro class - Tops after five sessions was Ben Barnicoat with his P-2 session time in the # 14 Lexus RCF GT3 for Vasser Sullivan of 1:47.040s for a speed of 119.731mph. Ben took it to Ross Gunn’s P-1 session time in the # 23 Heart of Racing Aston Martin Vaantage GT3 by 0.024 seconds. Owen Trinkler in the # 64 TGM/TF Sport Aston Martin Vantage GT3 posted third quick in his P-1 session.

Ben shares the Lexus with IndyCar drivers Jack Hawksworth and Mike Conway while Ross shares the # 23 Aston Martin with Alex Riberas and David Pittard. Owen’s co-drivers in the # 64 Aston Martin are Ted Giovanis, Hugh Plumb and Matt Plumb.

The # 14 Lexus RCF GT3 for Vasser Sullivan - TOPS in practice
VasserSullivan#14

Ben Barnicoat
BenBarnicoat150-1

GTD class - Topping the two days was Frederik Schandorff in the # 70 McLaren 720S GT3 for Inception Racing with a P-3 session time of 1:46.842s for a speed of 119.953mph. Frederik bested his co-driver Marvin Kirchhofer’s own P-3 time by 0.087 seconds. Third quickest was veteran Andy Lally with his P-1 session time in the # 44 Magnus Racing Aston Martin Vantage GT3.

Frederik and Marvin share the Mclaren with Brendan Iribe and Ollie Millroy while Andy shares the Aston Martin with John Potter, Spencer Pumpelly and Nicki Thiim.

The # 70 McLaren 720S GT3 for Inception Racing - TOPS in practice.
InceptionRacingMcLaren

Frederik Schandorff
FrederikSchandorff150-1

All five classes will be out on track on Sunday for a final practice and to qualify…

M