Indeed.com lays off 1,000 employees (8% of workforce) after laying off 2,000 last year

Yeah, well . . . ummm

Careers site Indeed to lay off 1,000 workers

• The careers site Indeed will lay off about 1,000 employees, or 8% of its workforce.

• In a memo, CEO Chris Hyams said the company is profitable, but not set up for sustainable growth.

• He said the cuts are more targeted than last year’s across-the-board reduction of 2,200 workers.

“. . . Unlike last year’s across-the-board reduction of 2,200 workers, Hyams said the latest cuts will be more concentrated in the US and primarily affect the research-and-development and go-to-market teams. . . .”

Indeed to Lay Off 1,000 Workers, CEO Says

I’m going to take a guess here and say this is not about the company, this is about the overall jobs market.

The people laid off are going to need Indeed.

“Indeed they do!”

3 Likes

Strongest yob market ever! :rofl:

2 Likes

Could also be an impact by our favorite topic - AI.

i suspect a lot of what Indeed does can be automated.

My job is now all about enhancing our AI capabilities with a focus on predicting who will call and then contacting them proactively as well as AI automation/self service etc.

Its insane how accurate our algorithm is in predicting when a customer will call and what their question is.

Yup. Could be that a lot of the layoffs are in their software development departments. They have their systems running – likely incorporating AI into them – and now you don’t need to retain all those software engineers.

“software engineers.” Are those the guys who keep writing software updates until the software is so slow & complicated I can no longer do the things I used to do?

I hate those guys.

1 Like

Anyway, I don’t think it is AI related. Certainly not in a company-specific way.

The company relies on job openings. When job openings decline so do their revenues.