"in the belly of the earth three days and three nights." Jesus of Nazareth

Are you revising this post?

“within three days” is not in the New Covenant Scriptures. Not even in that false testimony.

:rofl:

Are you sure about that?

You are right. I made a mistake. As I cited the verse earlier, it says within three days. Actually the Greek expressing the Jews’ charge is dia triOn hEmerOn, over or during three days, as if he would be busy building for three days. He actually said " en trisin hEmerais" in/within three days" John 2:20-21

1 Like

Paul_Thomson,
re: "If you [Piper] were correct that Jesus was killed on Wednesday afternoon and rose on Saturday afternoon, and Jewish inclusive reckoning does not apply, please explain how you calculate that Jesus rose ‘after three days’.

Wednesday 1st day, Thursday 2nd day, Friday 3rd day, and Saturday the 4th day.

Piper,

You have a question directed to you in post #13.

I’m so sorry, I don’t know how I missed this. “Better late than never.” LOL

When Jesus lived, the Jewish day was divided into 12 equal parts of time - hours: John 11:9. “Jesus answered, are there not twelve hours in a day,” and the night is also divided into 12 equal parts of time. The night hours precedes the lighted hours of each day.

The Jewish hour still varies according to the seasons, the 12 sunlit hours are called day and the 12 dark hours called night, while our modern day is constant.

Jesus said He would be in the grave 3 of each. Three periods of darkness and 3 periods of sunlight. Three days and three nights.

He did not say He would be buried three days. If he had said 3 days, it would be logical to identify a part of a day as a day and a part of a night as a night.

I would dispute that. He said “Three days and three nights in the heart of the land”. The land was Israel. The heart of Israel was the temple mount.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://theheartofgreece.com/&ved=2ahUKEwjTk5e48Y75AhV7TmwGHW3-D84QFnoECAUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw04Gayp2sUd6CNlNvrNr45S

“The heart of a land” is its cultural centre.

Jesus spent three consecutive days and nights on the temple mount, the cultural centre of Israel) which he had not done before. Due to Jewish leaders’ plots to kill him, he would usually retire at evening to Bethany.

You can believe that. I focus on what Scripture has to say and everybody can make up their own minds.

In Matthew 12:49, Jesus speaking: "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly, so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

John 3:19. “Jesus answered and said unto them, destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up” … Verse 21 - "But He spake of the temple of His body."

Have you read the “Epistle of Barnabas?” Barnabas, friend of the apostle Paul who introduced Paul to the other disciples.

I’d like your thoughts on this passage.

Barnabas 15:8
Finally He saith to them; Your new moons and your Sabbaths I cannot away with. Ye see what is His meaning ; it is not your present Sabbaths that are acceptable [unto Me], but the Sabbath which I have made, in the which, when I have set all things at rest, I will make the beginning of the eighth day which is the beginning of another world.

Barnabas 15:9
Wherefore also we keep the eighth day for rejoicing, in the which also Jesus rose from the dead, and having been manifested ascended into the heavens.

Piper,

I don’t see how your post #47 addresses my question to you in post #13?

I Also focus on what Scripture has to say.

"G1093 - gē
G1093
G1094 ››
‹‹ G1092
γῆ
Transliteration: gē
Pronunciation: ghay
Part of Speech: feminine noun
Root Word (Etymology): Contracted from a root word
TDNT Reference: 1:677,116
Outline of Biblical Usage:
arable land

the ground, the earth as a standing place

the main land as opposed to the sea or water

the earth as a whole

the earth as opposed to the heavens

the inhabited earth, the abode of men and animals

a country, land enclosed within fixed boundaries, a tract of land, territory, region

KJV Translation Count: 252x0
The KJV translates Strongs G1093 in the following manner: earth (188x), land (42x), ground (18x), country (2x), world (1x), earthly (with G1537) (with G3588) (1x).
Strong’s Definitions: γῆ gē, ghay; contracted from a primary word; soil; by extension a region, or the solid part or the whole of the terrene globe (including the occupants in each application):—country, earth(-ly), ground, land, world."

“. a country, land enclosed within fixed boundaries, a tract of land, territory, region; simply, when it is plain from the context what land is meant, as that of the Jews: Luke 4:25; Luke 21:23; Romans 9:28; James 5:17; with a gentile noun added [then, as a rule, anarthrous, Winer’s Grammar, 121 (114f)]: γῆ Ἰσραήλ, Matthew 2:20f; Ἰούδα, Matthew 2:6; Γεννησαρέτ, Matthew 14:34; Mark 6:53; Σοδόμων κ. Γομόρρων, Matthew 10:15; Matthew 11:24; Χαλδαίων, Acts 7:4; Αἴγυπτος, (see Αἴγυπτος); ἡ Ἰουδαία γῆ, John 3:22; with the addition of an adjective: ἀλλοτρία, Acts 7:6; ἐκείνη, Matthew 9:26, 31; with the genitive of person one’s country, native land, Acts 7:3.”

From the Blue Letter Biible app.

Interestingly, we have a saying, “in the belly of the beast” to refer to the geographical nerve/adminitrative centre of a regime. As Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the ritually unclean beast, Jesus was three days and three nights in the geographical centre of the ritually unclean Jewish regime in the land of Judaea, namely the temple mount.

The beginning of night is the beginning of a day for the Jews. The Lord designed the time between day and night and put the night first – then day next.

As I said, backwards to the way we tell time.

Genesis 1:5 "God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day."

Evening is first, then the morning. The night started by the arrival of “complete darkness.” Their day started around 6 in the evening.

Let me know if you need more clarity.

Jonah wasn’t just “in the fish,” he was in the belly of the fish. God prepared the fish specially for Jonah so that he could survive 3 days and 3 nights in it’s belly. Jonah was “out of sight” of another human for three days and nights.

Matthew 16:4 “An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign shall be given to it except the sign of Jonah.” So he left them and departed."

The sign of Jonah was “three days and three nights” in the belly of the big fish." Out of sight of any other human for three days and nights.

Jesus appearing alive before 3 days and 3 nights would not have been a sign for people have faith that He was truly the Son of God.

During His ministry Jesus never spent three days and three nights on the temple mount… until he surrendered to the Jews during the night of 14 Nisan.

If you read Jonah’s book carefully, you will see that Jonah was alive some of the time in the whale, died and was revived, just as Our Lord was.

Piper,

It’s my turn to say I’m sorry, I don’t know how I missed this.

re: “The beginning of night is the beginning of a day for the Jews. The Lord designed the time between day and night and put the night first – then day next.” “Let me know if you need more clarity.”

I do. That is the same with a midnight to midnight calendar day; a night comes first, then the daytime.

The Jewish day started at 6 PM in the evening. Their Sabbath - ( Saturday) day started at 6 PM on Friday evening and lasted until 6 PM the next evening. That’s 6 hours earlier than our day which starts at 12 Midnight.

They could not do any work after 6 PM Friday. They could not light a fire to cook. They had to have all of their food prepared before 6 PM on Friday to eat on the Sabbath which was their day of rest. Sabbath started 6 PM Friday evening.

God said “the evening and the morning was the 1st day.” The evening and the morning until 6 the start of the next evening, was 1 day.