In overnight orders, justices allow federal execution to proceed

After the Supreme Court cleared the way at 2:00 am this morning, the Federal Government proceeded with the first Federal execution in years at 8:00 am this morning.

Daniel Lee Lewis was pronounced dead at 8:07 am this morning.

Link to the unsigned per curiam decision for the majority. While unsigned, the tone and style clearly indicate Justice Thomas wrote this. He is the most ardent supporter of the death penalty on the court. Additionally, there is a dissent by Justice Breyer, joined by Justice Ginsburg and a separate dissent by Justice Sotomayor, joined by Justices Ginsburg and Kagan.

I support the Judgement of the court. The stay granted by the District Court that was just vacated follows a truly asinine stay issued by another District Court a few days ago, that was dealt with by the Seventh Circuit. The families of the victims requested a stay as they were afraid to travel to witness the execution during the Covid-19 epidemic. And the idiot court granted it. Witnessing an execution is a COURTESY extended to the families, not a RIGHT. The Seventh Circuit, fortunately, disposed of that stupidity themselves without bothering the Supreme Court.

Then another order came down from the District of Columbia. The DC Circuit did not dispose of that delay, so the Supreme Court did, at 2:00 am, so that this execution could finally proceed.

In any event, 1 down, 3 to go.

His name was Daniel Lewis Lee, I think I inverted the middle and last names. :smile:

I agree. Capital punishment is the business of the state, not the family.

Good riddance. May the Good Lord forgive your sorry ass.

From wiki:

He’ll burn in the lake of flames, hopefully. 1000 deaths, each death more horrible than the last.

1 Like

When I die I will forgive the world of its sins. There will be no hell, only peace, un-involvement, and pure bliss.

The condemned prisoners had argued that lethal injections constitute “cruel and unusual punishments”.

I agree. Give them some psychedelic drugs first…and then shoot them in the head so that it’s only unusual…but not cruel.

@Safiel At first I thought you were referencing the actor Daniel Day Lewis. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The usual bloodthirst from the “Pro Life” crowd on display.

Don’t broad brush.

I am not “pro-life.”

Like it or not, the death penalty remains the law of the land and should be carried out if it was levied with full due process.