In major embarrassment to GOP, House fails to pass massive Farm Bill in face of conservative Republican showdown

So Trump was for the Farm Bill!!! That’s a positive thing right?
I think so.

Where would you suggest I go to buy the freshest food?

There are a lot of farmers in my little country town.
They seem like pretty cool people.

It may not end up being a big deal. But the reality in a midterm election year is that time is critical to getting anything accomplished. Kicking a can like this down the road may not cost the FC individually, but it very well could cost the Republican majority come November if voter turnout is depressed across the Heartland. Especially when coupled with how many rural farmers are feeling threatened by the trade wars ramping up.

They should have just called in Trump to help negotiate. I’ve heard from the White House that he is the best negotiator to walk the face of the earth.

On a side note, is anyone else getting tired of all this winning?

2 Likes

This may be the bigger problem Doug. There is a group of Republicans upset that the FC is perceived to have reneged on a good faith agreement for a date certain vote on the Goodlatte bill, in their decision to nuke the Farm Bill. And now there may actually be a DACA-only vote on the horizon, which could do untold damage to voter turnout on the Republican side come November.

From what I heard from a soy farmer who voted for trump…his margins are thin and this most likely hurt him.
He saw the trade war as unneeded but remained optimistic about things…curious to see what he thinks now.

There are two different definitions of majority/minority at play here. Yes, there is a majority party and a minority party. That’s one definition of it.

But what really rules is the majority VOTE. The majority party wanted this to pass. The majority vote dictated otherwise.

When the entire Congress learns to vote on principles and not on party politics, we’ll be a better country for it.

DougBH is right. We have to stop seeing things as Republican/Dem. But I don’t expect to see that in my lifetime.

1 Like

Obviously they did NOT control the majority on this one.

1 Like

While this is true, it’s the same calculus that cost John Boehner his job. Thanks an unruly bunch of Tea Party simpletons, i.e. “doctrinaire conservative Republicans”, Republican leadership has had to go hat in hand over and over and over to Nancy Pelosi to ask for votes so they can pass any sort of meaningful legislation not called a “tax cut for the rich”. Pelosi and Schumer have been very pleased with the concessions that they have extracted in exchange for Democratic votes, and in a weird twist, it’s the most conservative wingnuts in Congress that are the reason Democrats get so much of what they want in Republican legislation.

After 8 years of the same moving playing over and over and over you would think they might get a clue, but nope.

You people only say this when you don’t get your way.

While you have a point, I’m not so sure you actually would want the outcome of this position. Because a lot more people are more moderate in their actual principles and beliefs, than the party as a whole they caucus with. If they truly did take a principle above party position, and wrote and voted on legislation that acted in accordance with their beliefs, then we would likely see quite a bit of a legislation that is considerably more liberal than what I imagine either you or I would like. And conversely, more conservative than what many of the progressive liberals here would like.

1 Like

Wow. The irony.

I have a question, why did members vote against the bill? Your link is to Twitter, which does not offer any context on the matter.

Like… let’s start having a serious and open discussion and debate on the issues plaguing us with immigration.

Loosely translated, as long as Congress votes along your narrow ideological beliefs, then they are putting the country first, because your beliefs are whats best. Just ask you, right?

There were two links in the OP. One was to Trump’s Twitter feed, showing his support of the bill. The other was to the Washington Post article explaining the details of everything. Let me know if that helps, and if not, I can re-post it for you.

Alright, you made it here!

That needs to change.

Perhaps, but that is subjective obviously. And it is likely more certain to never happen in our lifetimes than even the concept you proposed of people no longer viewing life through the prism of Republican/Democrat.