Immigration - US vs Other Countries - How is it other industrialized nations are able to function?

A sizeable majority of agricultural workers in California are undocumented.

I don’t doubt that. I was saying if there is some area that needs foreign workers, and that is agreed upon by all, then change the law on who can be allowed in, giving preference to that area.
I am not against legal immigration when it makes sense and benefits the country.

10 years s ago Alabama and Georgia had the type of illegal farm labor crackdown that hard liners say they want. They cratered those states ag output. Those states don’t do that anymore.

$15 dollar an hour minimum wage and opening our borders to illegal aliens for cheap labor are at total opposite ends of the spectrum and yet…this is the lib reality.

Any way you slice it, it is taking jobs from cnc. And that is currently. Will be more going forward as it improves. Same goes for 3d printing houses.

Aww farmers don’t want to pay market rates for legal labor. Nobody else does either. Too bad.

I don’t see how printing a limited family of polymers (with considerable limitations in both the process and materials) takes away CNC jobs but hey you read some articles.

Umm, my links had actual examples of exactly that. The new oxygen process opened up a whole slew of new materials.

First of all being that the border is being overrun many adults are getting through illegally. Second what link do you have stating that ONLY children are being admitted?

That’s great. You read a puff piece. It was funny for me to read because I’m going along thinking “why don’t they mention how you can’t do a lot of simple geometries? How limited the sizing is no matter how large the printer is because the parts fail during the build ?

I wrote out and deleted a whole bunch of stuff because it would easily identify me so I’ll step this up. It’s an interesting tech, had some neat applications but I could go on for the rest of the day
About all the things you’ll never be able to do with it.

You make some really excellent points which highlight just how ineffective and antiquated our current education system is. I can tell you as someone who worked in a high school that most of our students get little to nothing our of their 4 years in high school. High school would be more effective and better serve the public if it was much more career oriented and actually developed work-study programs with exactly what you are talking about!

I agree, and I’m a guy who thinks college is important. But it’s not for everybody.

I liked Ike’s nations service plan, 2 years compulsory service after high school with very limited focus on military service and the rest focused on job training and community service.

By “liberal arts” I am talking about history, sociology, psychology, gender studies, etc. Also, I don’t denigrate these areas of study, I just simply acknowledge that these courses have no practical value for most people and they are also areas any adult can easily study on their own and don’t need to sit in a classroom for.

Who cares about social conservatism look at the last clown in office what the majority in the party want is smaller government, less taxes and less immigration. Give us that and you can perform abortions in the white house as Ann Coulter once said or trans up and fight whoever you want to in female sports.

So here’s a perfect example of what I’m on about. This is a pretty simple little little part, 6061, the triangular geometry takes a little head scratching but if you can read the print there’s threads on there and standard ISO tolerances.

Theres not a 3D printing tech around or under development that can make this part to specifications and I need 12,500 of them by early next week.

This is going on a Tsugami 30mm 5 axis Swiss with Minuteman automatic bar feeders and automatic palletizing. It will get set up and today or tomorrow, run lights out over the weekend and on Monday we’ll walk in and they’ll be all done, neatly placed on pallets ready for inspection. The Tsugami does automatic took changes as cutting tools wear, and if something breaks or goes out of spec it will stop and call call someone.

This is everyday type modern CNC manufacturing, not especially complicated and you’re not doing this through 3DP in our kids lifetimes.

I don’t think they left and there was a year here that the leisure industry was destroyed from restaurants to hotels.

2 Likes

I’m with you. Is there really much evidence that illegals who are already here leave in droves when the jobs dry up? In particularly if they have a kid who is getting various free benefits especially if the kid was born here. Last point, as you and myself have noted, the industries that would typically provide illegals work have been decimated by COVID, yet there’s thousands of people flooding out border daily. Exactly what work are they coming to do?

It’s the same thing that happened in Germany when Merkel was talking about the Turkish immigrants who came there she said we thought they would leave, and why would they?

What is going on with Gasterbeiter these days? It’s been over a decade since I’ve been to Germany but I used to spend a lot of time in Munich for work and saw what was happening from the 90’s to the 00’s.

Maybe Mariel was referring to the fact that there’s no path to citizenship through that program.

Germany is my second home, Munich isn’t what it used to be I was there in 2017. My family is originally from Germany still have family there.

This is and excerpt from her Potsdam speech of 2010

“We kidded ourselves a while, we said: ‘They won’t stay, sometime they will be gone’, but this isn’t reality.”

“And of course, the approach [to build] a multicultural [society] and to live side-by-side and to enjoy each other… has failed, utterly failed.”

To be honest not sure why she thought they would leave.