Immigration reform: Sweden Style

A flurry of posts have appeared in social media stating that Sweden is deporting immigrants unless they earn €2,322/month (Equivalent to $2,448/month or roughly $15.30/hr full-time. Those claims are sloppy, so sloppy they are false.

The truth behind the so-sloppy-it-is-false claim is that Sweden is in the process of enacting a pair of immigration reforms.

One immigration reform limits the access immigrants will have to Swedish social welfare programs.

Among the government’s proposed reforms is a move to introduce a ceiling on benefits for non-EU migrants so they cannot receive multiple allowances – such as for children, housing, unemployment, sickness and parental leave. In addition, migrants will have to wait longer in future before qualifying for benefits.

Sweden is enacting a wage minimum for hiring most immigrants.
To hire most immigrants and employer must hire them full-time and must pay them a living wage of €2,322/month (€2,534/month in a similar proposal)

Proponents of the law say it is intended to prevent immigrants from competing with at-risk and low-wage Swedes.

1 Like

from the Swedish govt website.

“Sweden’s migration policy is undergoing a paradigm shift. The Government is intensifying its efforts to reduce, in full compliance with Sweden’s international commitments, the number of migrants coming irregularly to Sweden. Labour immigration fraud and abuses must be stopped and the ‘shadow society’ combated. Sweden will continue to have dignified reception standards, and those who have no grounds for protection or other legal right to stay in Sweden must be expelled.”

Allan

:point_up_2: That is a key phrase and at least that should be the actual standard in the US
(in the US, that is the standard on paper only.)

1 Like

When I fact-checked the social media claims I was enthused by the actual reforms.

• limiting social welfare benefits
  • no part-time or gig work (full-time only)
  • pay must be high enough that immigrants to not compete for jobs with the most at-risk citizens and permanent residents.

I approve on all counts.

1 Like

Why would gig work make the list….

Because €2,322/month.

Low-end, at -risk often impoverished persons turn to
gig work,
part time jobs
low-wage jobs.

Sweden is essentially saying “You can come here, but only if you are not competing directly against, and thus hurting, the most vulnerable among us. Oh and if yo can’t or don’t find work you’ll get less welfare than the rest of us, so don’t come here for that either”

More European countries need to do this, as well as the U.S. Contribute or leave.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s it. I think it’s the cash.

1 Like

It’d be better just to send those particular immigrants back home.

To cure the cancer, you get rid of the tumor.

2 Likes

Piddly pay.
They finaly woke up.

Even without the money requirement it was a bad idea.
When you mix the cultures you’re asking for trouble.
All those countries regret it but it is too late.
Now they have Crime and Terrorism, powerty and desiase they never had before.
This Globalist’s idea of mixing people and Global distribution of wealth with a goal of creating no-borders-one-global goverment state is a bone in the throat of every country but noone wants to be the first to say no.
Hungarians and Japan were the only ones trying to fight it. Look at their Immigration laws.
Swedes pay high taxes for the free benefits and they don’t want moochers working gig and part time jobs getting those.

1 Like

Median income in the US is $30k.
80% of US median income, therefore, is $24k.

The Swedish equivalent in the US would be requiring immigrants to be paid $24k/year (roughly $12 an hour.)

By contrast US minimum wage is $7.25/hour.

2 Likes

The ones pulling the strings knew what would happen and didn’t regret it. Hungary, Japan, Poland, and a few others put their people first.

1 Like