I'm seeking to understand the Constitutionality for both views of the abortion debate

1. But why does that matter for future elections?

WW

That recent? Dang, never mind then.

“We…the People”

That’s not a Constitutional definition of “Personhood”.

No better than “All persons born…” at the beginning of the 14th Amendment means you don’t become a person until born.

WW

Come to think of it, you’re right. Probably never thought some of the population would be so stupid as to need it.

Dumb ass founders.

2 Likes

In another thread I recall someone saying that the Constitution speaks of persons in regards to being granted rights?

I think you’re overestimating the weight of this decision or anything else the left could drum up this year.

Understood. But I’m asking where is the Constitutional definition of personhood you reference.

Just because it says a person has rights, that is not defining “when personhood is achieved”.

WW

Couldn’t one argue that there’s ambiguity especially in the issue of defining when life begins?

The right of the people…

I don’t think the DEMs are going to “win” this year.

Pretty such the GOP will take the House. The term bloodbath has been thrown around, but that is just hyperbole. The GOP will take the House but not by a huge margin.

The Senate I think Roe being overturned can put some seats play since those are state wide votes.

But I’ll repeat, I don’t think overturning Roe will have a huge impact this year. But the DEMs will be smart to keep it as a social issue on the forefront going into future elections.

WW

Nor is that a Constitutional definition of when “personhood” is achieved.

WW

True. Is it an “achievement”? Does there need to be?

And in cases of ambiguity (i.e. not specifically enumerated) the 10th Amendment applies.

The 14th defines citizens, but it also goes on to say,

nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law

It doesn’t define personhood, just citizenry.

To me, an abortion deprives a person of life.

2 Likes

I would assume that the framers didn’t provide one as it would’ve been self evident to them. The problem as I see now is in how I framed the question. So let me ask it this way. If a state outlaws abortion is that state granting Constitutional rights to the unborn child?

“Personhood” from a legal standpoint has to be defined to then allow the creation of laws which may be impacted by that standard.

Is personhood achieved when a man ejaculate’s since the sperm is on the way?

Is personhood achieved when sperm enters the egg?

Is personhood achieved when the woman becomes pregnant, IIRC 3-4 days after conception and when the fertilized egg implants in the uterus?

Is personhood achieved when there is a heartbeat?

Is personhood achieved at the time of quickening when movement can be felt?

Is personhood achieved when the fetus exhibits brainwave activity?

Is personhood achieved at birth?
I see none of these definitions on the Constitution.

WW

Why? There’s only one law.

And in 18-20 years, I hope those voters spared by repealing Roe vote accordingly.

3 Likes

Roger. I don’t disagree that it is your belief.

But thank you for pointing out the Constitution doesn’t define personhood.

Appreciate that.

WW