Illegal immigration and Kids

Ok, if you say so.

I thought you were referencing the Senate, not the House. As for the House, there is this from Freedom Caucus chair Mark Meadows, and it appears it would be a stand-alone bill, but is more conservative obviously, considering who it is coming from.

It is 100% legal

Is it moral?

Ummm… The ACLU is not only suggesting this but a federal judge is allowing the case to go forward based on separating a child of an asylum seeker…

From the ruling…

These allegations call sharply into question the separations of Plaintiffs from their minor children. This is especially so because Plaintiffs allegedly came to the United States seeking shelter from persecution in their home countries, and are seeking asylum here. For Plaintiffs, the government actors responsible for the “care and custody” of migrant children have,in fact,become their persecutors. This is even more problematic given Plaintiffs’ allegations and assertions that there is a government practice, and possibly a forthcoming policy, to separate parents from their minor children in an effort to deter others from coming to the United States. This alleged practice is being implemented even when parents like Ms. L. and Ms. C. have passed credible fear interviews,and therefore,are positioned to present asylum claims meriting consideration by an IJ in their removal proceedings. These allegations sufficiently describe government conduct that arbitrarily tears at the sacred bond between parent and child,and is emblematic of the “exercise of power without any reasonable justification in the service of an otherwise legitimate governmental objective[.]” Lewis, 523U.S. at 846. Such conduct, if true, as it is assumed to be on the present motion, is brutal, offensive,and fails to comport with traditional notions of fair play and decency. At a minimum, the facts alleged are sufficient to show the government conduct at issue“shocks the conscience” and violates Plaintiffs’ constitutional right to family integrity. Accordingly,Defendants’ motion to dismiss Plaintiffs’ due process claim is denied.

At this point everyone from the White House, to Republicans and Democrats are all saying this is not right and congress needs to change the law.

So whats the hold up?

The hold up is that there is still one carcinogen left in the White House who does not actually agree that this one part needs to be changed by itself, and is using this issue and these children as what he views to be a leverage point to try and obtain a full list of demands.

1 Like

i think we should start separating the kids from any parents charged with illegal fireworks use. or maybe speeding especially if a kid is in the car

Bingo Bango

1 Like

That’s a reasonable solution.

No way does congress pass it.

Congress too dysfunction to work together and pass common sense legislation.

Allan

Not including Ricky and Julian.

Yeah I forgot about that.

Kind of like the Germans. The most organized, sensible, logical people on the planet. A country full of Vulcans. Until Germany loses a soccer match. Then Berlin looks like Mogadishu for a few days.

Ya from what I have seen there was the conservative Meadows bill, a potential “moderate” bill that got scuttled because they knew it wouldn’t get Trump support. And you’re right the third bill being bandied about is the Cruz bill in the Senate- which appears clean until you read the fine print-

Clean bill? Are you crazy?

:point_down::point_down:

Either its gonna make hard demands of Democrats- which will be shot down…or it will be a clean bill, which Trump won’t allow. Who’s gonna give first as more and more pictures of the horrors on the border continue to roll out?

I believe you are mistaken on the House my friend. There is the Goodlatte bill. The moderate bill. And now, the Meadows bill, which is a stand-alone bill only addressing the issue of family separation.

As for the Cruz bill, I guess I will have to wait to see the actual verbiage before totally weighing in on it.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what the last “clean bill” was?

I think you misread my post- which meant there is the Meadows conservative bill and the other moderate bill. Both seem like nonstarters to me- the conservative bill will get no democrat support, and the moderate bill will never be allowed to pass because Trump will disavow it.

The Cruz bill has been outlined but yes- lets see if it gets any traction, which I seriously doubt knowing how the GOP hate to go against their king.

1 Like

How is it going to be shot down if republicans control it all?

Plenty of minor clean bills.

But yes in this case, the GOP is stuck. They can’t appear weak and pass a clean bill, and if they try and pass something hardcore, Dems will never allow it to pass.

But that leads back to gridlock, with ongoing rolling pics of babies being separated from their moms.