If You Walked Into the Last Supper

According to jewish tradition. The gospel account is rather thin.

Of course it did. A man named Jesus was persecuted by a high priest named Caiaphas and sentenced to death by Pontius Pilate. He also had a tight group of followers. They had a final meal suspecting that he would be arrested for Blasphemy. This happened according to the bible and the roman historian Josephus. Whether or not you believe that the man executed was the Christ is your business.

I am not very familiar with the women’s role in Passover. They do most of the meal preparation, certainly the cleaning before and after the meal. They light the candles. In a family Passover, they take part in the story telling and discussions. The only rather odd thing I remember is that apparently women didn’t recline. I had the passing thought that someday I would look into that, but well—as I said, the thought passed. :slight_smile:

You can get that far but can’t make the final leap.

If it is something you know, why not share? It is not as if people here are against hearing a new perspective or of gaining further knowledge.

Pizza hut and pepsi

I’ll wait a little longer. It’s no great revelation to most posting, I think.

I have no doubt that there was plenty of alcohol wine otherwise.

how did a single man in his 30’s get all his friends together for a dinner party.

At any rate, the Passover meal consists of four cups of wine.

Probably helped that they were already all on the road together.

I can barely get 3 of my friends in the same room together.

He traveled with these people and this is an annual celebration that they would have normally planned for in advance.

Josephus never recorded anything about the Last Supper.

Josephus is not a reliable source. It’s just that’s he’s the only source.

I don’t think you understood ‘’…wasn’t anything like what we have now’’

I’ll look for a link. Wine back then was only fermented for a matter on months. And they ‘‘stuff’’ with it, lots of ‘‘stuff’’.

Well, Guvnah gets the rough layout right with the low tables. No one make guess at the most obvious, the building and where in the building.

Meriweather gets it (imo) 50/50 between the realistic and the bibles lore.

Leroy hits another point, it the biggest celebration of the year, everyone’s planning for it.

My opinion based on my reading…non-secular.

Not the Renaissance painting view so many have: a stage party of 13 guys a long table(maybe with Mary Magdalen as a hoochy-koochy) dancer)

It was a seder, the Passover meal, which by tradition is a family meal. So there would be women and children there also. All sitting around ground level tables with communal bowls and plates of food; and containers of wine. Everyone would be passing around the bowls and plates and dipping the unleven bread in whatever’s in the bowls, including wine.

And the location. It’s probably very warm, so the usual custom would be to eat on the roof where there would be a covered area, palm fraws maybe. It wouldn’t the dreary tavern look of the Renaissance painting, but hey, they did what they knew.

When you think about it, the whole ‘‘do this in remembrance of me’’ is about the same thing a bunch of guys getting together to see a buddy off to a war having a night out for drinks and the last thing do the buddy leaving says ‘‘One last shot of Jack, if I don’t come back…remember me whenever you have a Jack’’

Possibly. I wouldn’t rule it out. I am certain Jesus observed many Passovers in the manner you describe. However, there are indications this one was different. This last one, Jesus instructed Peter and John to go to prepare the Passover ‘for us’. He had arranged for a guest room. In John’s Gospel we read that the discourses Jesus gave were not the traditional ones used on Passover. Rather than teaching and discussing the history of the Jewish people, Jesus seemed to be reminding the disciples of his own teachings.

The Gospels tell of other times that Jesus went away with just his disciples to rest and pray. Another reason is that after the ruckus Jesus had caused in the Temple a few days prior, it may have been best not to raise discord/discussion in a large family setting or group of people where some of whom may not have approved of his actions.

Yeah, John’s gospel was always a different ‘feel’ that the others. Of course, the four gospels were just the winners of the gospel lottery that were around at the time Constantine told church leaders whittle them down and settle on a core few. Over the centuries the rest were declared heresy and burned.

Regardless, millennia later, one ritual appears to have diverged from the other.

What would I see?

13 guys speaking a language I didn’t know, 12 of them looking at me like I’d just swallowed a bug for the intrusion and one smiling knowingly.

Hopefully for the exercise in question I’ll not have been on my way to the bathroom at 3 AM in my skivvies when I opened the door…