If You Walked Into the Last Supper

A question for all out there. Describe what you believe you would see If You Walked Into the Last Supper.

That is: Describe what you believe you would see if you walked into the building where the Last Supper was being held. Lets say you walk in 15 min into the room before the famous breaking of the bread and dipping into the wine(please no nit picking in the wine and bread part).

Just describe what you physically see/observe. As if you took 3 or 4 pics.

I’d be the guy outside preparing the lamb for our Lord. I suspect, He’ll want the rack to go with His excellent wine and I want it prepared…just…right.

I walked into the synoptic Gospels which tells of Jesus and Judas dipping into the dish together. My picture captures three of the people reclining at table. It was a Passover meal and John, as the youngest, was reclining to the right of Jesus. This is the position the youngest have at Passover to learn their heritage. Judas is at the left of Jesus, positioned to watch Jesus’ back.

It is at the beginning of the meal, and as I position my camera, a prayer is being said, “Praised be you, O Lord our God, King of the universe, who has sanctified us by His commandments and commanded us to eat bitter herbs.” Jesus and Judas are each holding a piece of parsley (a bitter herb representing the bitterness of slavery, and together they reach over and dip them into bowls of salt water (representing tears). Click.

Then I decided to walk over to John’s Gospel for another picture. The seating is the same, and it is a few minutes later, time for Hillel’s Sandwich, or what King James’ references as ‘sop’. A piece of lamb is placed between two bits of matzo along with some of the bitter herbs (parsley or lettuce). It is then handed to someone that person loves. Jesus is now handing his bit of sandwich (or sop if one prefers King James) made of lamb and bitter herbs between two bits of matzo to Judas. Click.

Absolutely nothing because it never happened.

1 Like

“Jesus! Why are you doing the big arms thing?”

“I don’t know, I just thought I’ do big arms…”

“Well I’m gonna do big arms as well!”

“Me too!”

“Look, we can’t all do the big arms thing, we will look like a squadron of Spitfires”

1 Like

Getting close. How about a plain, physical description, lay-out of the room perhaps, number of people, maybe location of the room.

Did you look inside to see how many are there. Got to know how many to prepare for. :wink:

A long, low table, so low that you don’t sit at it, but instead people lay down, feet out, head toward the table.

Jesus and the twelve have not yet arrived. Other disciples are scurrying around preparing the seder meal, setting the places at which the thirteen men will be eating. Ceremonial washing bowls and jugs are nearby. Oil lamps with low flames light the room with a flickering glow.

Remind me what that’s from.

Wait, that’s Eddie Izzard right?

That’s more the descriptive style I was looking for. Don’t you think they’d all be together earlier than that?

I’d probably do the same thing I’d if I walked in on Thor or Ares doing their thing.

Eating and getting drunk which is how i imagine the last supper was really like.

The wine then wasn’t anything like what we have now.

Yes. I understand the table arrangement was often ‘u’ shape so that those who served had easy access.

Walking in on the halls of Valhalla would be a sight to see.

1 Like

Yes. I love listening to Eddie Izzard.

“Do you have a flag? No flag, no country - that’s the rules that I just made up!”

There seem to be people missing.

According to which Gospel account?