If You Have A Relative That Has Died Who Served In The Military:

Yes. It’s whatever you want it has a place in the top corner for a pic of the military hero. Duck

Sounds great. :+1:

I’d love to hear some hero stories here.

My father was drafted toward the end of the war. He was sent to Denver for training before going to France. The DI told him to get into the plane to be a machine gunner. He said to him “but I can’t see that well”.

After sending him up, the DI said “you can’t see anything”. Pop said “I told you”. He shipped out & became a cook for the troops for the rest of the war. I never saw him without glasses. Duck

My wife’s Dad fought in the battle of the Bulge and some other big battles as well as helping liberate one of the death camps.

We found out most of it at his funeral because he didn’t say much about his service.

Had an uncle who served in ww2 as well and never heard him say anything about it. He did tell my Dad he was captured at one point however. He served under Patton.

The Bulge was a terrible one. I’ve seen several movies about it. He’s a hero, tho he never talked about it. My Pop didn’t either. I guess Pop just never got to where he could see well. His life was ended when he pulled out in front of a car at 81. Duck

Oh I feel your pain there. My mother died the same way. Pulled out in front of a car at age 82. She was in good health till then.

Has nothing to do with military service but a similar loss.

That’s a funny story. My grandfather was in a bomber in Europe during the war, his eyesight was fine but he was a radio operator so I don’t think being nearsighted would have been much of a factor even if he had been.

My grandfather never said a single word to me about the war.

A lot of them didn’t.

My dad is very open about Desert Storm. Told me all kinds of stories about his training, the long wait in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait. He told me the desert sucks.

My great uncle that served in Korea was silent. He never talked about it to anyone before he died.

Don’t know if there was any Presidential letter when my biological father passed away. I do know he had a military internment in Jefferson Barracks cemetery. I was not permitted to attend the funeral and I have no idea where his flag went?

Always regretted that.

Some useless trivia as I am a big trivia buff.

Not saying this to burst your bubble but it a very good chance that framed item bears an autopen signature. Very common actually. In fact about the majority of human written signatures from the president are on legislation and official correspondence with other world leaders, so not very many are every hand written. Most everything else is autopenned.

Reagan actually took it a step further. He had some 22 different template itterations of his signature created for autopen use, this giving the impression of authenticity as each was subtly different so as to make the person think it was hand written.

A guy who worked in the Clinton administration who operated the machine as Director of Presidential Letters and Messages once quipped “I always heard the autopen was the second most guarded thing in the White House after the president”, and for good reason.

Well, that may be the case then. He was a decorated WWII vet, so who can say, that might make a difference.

A Father, two grandfathers, an uncle, 5 great uncles and two great grandfathers.

That is a lot of Service To Our Country!

Impressive.

God Bless them all!

It actually goes all the way back to the colonial militias. We’ve had at least one member of the family on each side serve from every generation since my first European ancestors got off the boat.

In my family it was just considered to be a duty.

Thanks though.

1 Like

I can tell you why. The Korean War was a terrible event.