Identity Politics

Today, the American creedal national identity, which emerged in the wake of the Civil War, must be revived and defended against attacks from both the left and the right. On the right, white nationalists would like to replace the creedal national identity with one based on race, ethnicity, and religion. On the left, the champions of identity politics have sought to undermine the legitimacy of the American national story by emphasizing victimization, insinuating in some cases that racism, gender discrimination, and other forms of systematic exclusion are in the country’s DNA. (108)

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-politics/

Pretty good entry on identity politics and current.

@fallenturtle you should read this.

Bit of a lengthy read regarding the whole article, but here’s what I’ll say assuming this segment represents a good summation of it. I think it’s apples and oranges for a number of reasons. Exactly what percent of white Americans are White Nationalists or or White Supremacists, for one? And two, exactly what power - if any - do they possess? On the other hand the views of the modern Left come from academia and they are broadly accepted through virtually all Democratic politicians and Left wing groups. For example I can fully attest that the teacher’s Union is nothing but a wing of the Democratic Party.

3 Likes

“Would like to…”

You can’t deny the identity character of white supremacists.

That would be the case for any race or group, whether black, Latino, Islamic, etc.

Sure.

I was born in the US, in a manufacturing area of the country. We said the pledge first thing everyday in school. Teachers could spank students and did so if they misbehaved. That was sure better than them calling home and letting my parents know. The education provided through high school was an excellent one and it prepared me for with the basics needed to carry on.

Once I got married, I’ve been a loner. I leave in the morning and work my butt off, learning a profession and giving my best efforts. All of us have this same opportunity, if…we’re willing to make the personal sacrifice? Many are not…and whine, point fingers at others and claim life isn’t fair. That isn’t true. The actual truth is how well did your parents guide you through this early process, to equip you for adulthood?

Those that are whining, accomplishing little for the country, still have a vote that’s equal to those attempting to give their best efforts for the country, their family, their employers, their friends and their God. Since these individuals aren’t capable of making it on their own, they pair up with others, joining their votes together, to influence politicians into giving them what they want (identity politics).

I identify with all that are Americans who love; their country, their families, their friends and to a degree…their professions. “We” are in this together and I’m united with them. What I am seeing today is the beginnings of division. Even if you don’t think like me, I’m not against you. That would require time and energy and I can’t spare either one. Both are already committed. What I do do is to help those that cross my path along the way and it’s a pleasure to do so. Again, it comes from love, not hate.

This country is about you having the freedom though to follow your beliefs…even if it’s hateful, as long as you’re not acting on that hate? All too often now, what I’m witnessing is that the motivational force behind a movement…is hate. That’s weak, unproductive and goes against everything this country has historically stood for. In this instance…I’m mentally against you. That said though, I don’t have the time or the energy to commit to physically being against you.

One day, if things keep going the way it is, that may change and not just for me but Americans who think like me. There are many but “we” are the sleeping giant. We are already committed and let’s hope that doesn’t ever change? I think this is what many are cognizant of when they say, “we are headed for a civil war”? I surely hope that never happens again but…don’t bring your hate onto my loving lawn.

2 Likes