I thought COAL was a dying industry, with declining demand

Both windmills and solar panels are industrial blight.

We’re about 20 years in. That blight is about to turn malignant. lol

2 Likes

Typical lib … wanting something for nothing. :stuck_out_tongue:

:wink:

3 Likes

Do you think coal miners can mine coal … even if it involves removing a mountain top … without complying with regulations?

I agree in principle, and I definitely agree with that with regard to State governments (or as some Democrats have proposed Nationally in the form of wealth taxes,) but in most States, local governments are prohibited from imposing income taxes, so their only means of collecting revenue from the residents to provide those people services are sales and property taxes. If property taxes were eliminated, the sales tax would have to be significantly higher.

In my town, we only have property tax, no sales tax. Every once in a while, some people call for a sales tax to “ease the burden” on the property owners and gets the issue placed on a referendum ballot. It always (so far) gets voted down by a wide margin.

Currently, there is no form of electrical generation or electrical energy consumption that is “carbon free.”

Are you aware of what he means by “blood batteries”?

Yep. Rooftop solar panels, in the manner they are most commonly installed, and wind generators are ugly. Talk about local zoning ordinances to protect the viewscape of a community … where is the concern about that?

1 Like

They can implement sales tax to REPLACE the property tax. We all vote against raising the sales tax to ease the burden on property tax because we know full well they’ll increase the sales tax and won’t touch the property taxes.

Scalping a mountain top? I’ve been to New Mexico. Plateaus are cool. The endless windmills are uglier than the chopped up birds at their bases. Half of them are never turning. What a waste.

of course not. that is not at all what CNC and I were discussing.

Sooo . . . coal creates dirty yucky smoke, worse than say, home heating oil. Does this mean that coal releases more CO2?

I can’t even see the smoke coming off a propane heater or propane cooking stove does zero smoke mean zero carbon?

If reducing CO2 emissions is the goal, then we should not assume “the stinkier the smoke the more the CO2” nor that “zero visible smoke means zero CO2.”

Our community has a revenue cap. If the voters approved a sales tax, the property tax would decrease by the equivalent amount. Yet the voters still reject it. If you have the problem that you described in your community, get a revenue cap passed. That’s how we got ours … Voter initiated referendum. Because it was imposed by referendum, it had to be placed on the ballot by petition every two years, but now after more than 25 years of being voted on and passing, it has become so ingrained that it has become a third rail issue for any politician who suggests getting rid of it.

1 Like

Whether you meant to or not, that’s what you implied.

I know with certainty that you don’t actually believe this.

Hahaha. The difference is so miniscule that it’s negligible. Both are government restrictions. Shelley v. Kraemer put this delusion on full display. Would say it was wrongly decided?

Coal releases more CO2 than oil which releases more CO2 than natural gas. Smoke, common in coal plants, is unburned fuel and impurities in the combustion, such as sulfur which goes on to produce acid rain, so it is almost guaranteed to be nastier than propane.

It is absolutely false, everywhere you go, even under so-called “laissez-faire”, because it is impossible.

EPA regulations have made stack emissions of particulates from coal plants almost nil. They are pretty well down to emitting nothing of consequence except NOx, CO2, and H2O and the EPA is clamping down on the first of those and have their sights set on the second.

1 Like

I thought that was the law state wide in Texas. Apparently not. :frowning:

You know that, do you? How about take me at my word. I definitely meant it. As to the second part, you know the difference? Government force vs civil suit. One is limited in force, the other will throw your tail end in prison.

Incorrect. Might want to take a look at Texas sometime.