I thought COAL was a dying industry, with declining demand

True enough, but every municipality has some building codes.

My point being, the notion that you can do whatever you want with your property is false.

1 Like

It’s not false at all in some areas. Yes, some have regulations but the only limitations on my property, I agreed to up front. I even negotiated a few deed restrictions out of my agreement with the lady selling it to me, for instance, they said no gun range. I negotiated that to say “No commercial gun range”. I now have a private range out there and I do a lot of shooting. Had that been a government policy, there’s no negotiation going to happen. That’s why I’m completely against government created zoning laws. I want it to be between the residents.

1 Like

Hard to believe that there are peasants in this country who actually have to pay for and ask permission to do things like drill their own well, or raise their own food, on the property they own. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how we can jam an end to property taxes down governments throats. We never actually own our property if we have to continue to pay rent to the government. :wink:

2 Likes

It is false virtually everywhere. Code requirements for construction pretty much cover the entire US. of course you can do whatever you like - you can build anything you want (within zoning requirements) without anyone saying boo UNTIL you sell your property. Then you will need to obtain a CO, which will require everything is done to code.

Deed restrictions are just one way your use of your property is limited. You mentioned zoning regulations, and that you are not a fan of them.

Imagine if in a suburban neighborhood,someone decided to put a waste processing facility on their private property…

Re: your property - your ability to put a commercial range is also limited by your municipalities zoning permits.

Side note:

The original deed for my house - built in…1810 I think? 1840? I forget now…is a real trip. No bone boiling, skinning of horses or mules, no tanning…and no ‘negroes’ or other non-whits may own the property…

Of course deed restrictions are subservient to municipal law, which is subservient to state, so they can be unlawful and unenforceable.

pull a Disney…

It’s not that you don’t own your property, it’s just that a highly organized group of armed agents will steal it from you if you don’t pay them the protection fees you owe. lol

2 Likes

Bubba, I get all of that. I said nothing about construction and codes, even though I can build a cabin on my property and sell it for cash without complying with a single code. I WILL, but in a private exchange, I can get away without building to codes in my county. There are also no zoning requirements where I bought my property. That’s why I love Texas, zoning laws are extremely limited and the deed restrictions are normally privately controlled. Again, there are limits that can be imposed by government based on harm to a third party. If you build a pig farm right next to me and it ruins my property value, I can sue you in civil court. This is how we should deal with disputes, not one size fits all rules imposed by government.

Pretty much…

No kidding. It’s always amazed me… for the good of the community, we’re going to force you to pay us property taxes and if you don’t pay, we’ll throw your ass out in the street…

3 Likes

I believe that’s a throw back to the need to put oil rigs wherever the oil is in TX, right?

You don’t have any zoning restrictions? very interesting…

What do you mean you can sell a cabin for cash - you have no CO inspections when you transfer property?

Re: your pig farm example…this is where, IMO, some restrictions are good for everyone. Isn’t it better for the pig farmer and neighbor to know up front that his investment in the farm isn’t going to end up in court?

Deed restrictions are the way to get there though. Zoning laws encourage people to get in bed with the government and jam things down our throats. Deed restrictions encourage neighbors to get together to decide what can and can’t be done next to them if the property is sold. It goes with my entire theory that the decisions need to be drive at the lowest point possible.

Yes, building code inspections aren’t required by Texas law in private transactions. Mortgage companies often require them but they’re not required by the government, at least in my county. To me, building codes are there as a minimum requirement to ensure builders don’t go off the deep end. I’m about to build a cabin on my property and I’ll exceed most building codes because I want it to last for a long time. I don’t need a permit to build, I’ve already crossed that hurdle with the county. I did need a permit to drill a water well though.

1 Like

We have to run all those electric cars. Coal cars with Blood batteries. That’s how brainwashed the Greens are…

3 Likes

all very interesting.

not sure I totally agree with you on private deed restrictions being superior to zoning. I could see abuses cropping up in either. But I live is a much denser area than I suspect you live in, so perspectives would be diferent.

Water; Just spent some time in CO and learned about how vital water rights are there and in other western states. Again, regional differences…

What’s that now?

Coal cars and Blood Batteries = EV’s

2 Likes

Coal produces only 22% of our electricity.

Not that facts matter.

Natural Gas is a fossil fuel also, so at least we agree they don’t rely on Windmills and Solar panels to fill those blood batteries…

1 Like

Renewables are roughly the same amount as coal…and growing.

Is that in energy " produced" or Energy sold to consumers? Because a lot of solar and wind is produced when not needed and is just wasted. Solar is toxic waste and windmills can’t be recycled so they will end up in the land fill after barely producing the amount of energy it took to manufacture and remove them.

3 Likes