How Would You Change The US Constitution?

California ended up with term limits, and it didn’t really work out that well there.

It’s never going to happen. The very people who would be directly affected by term limits are the same people who must vote (2/3 in favor) to amend the Constitution to implement term limits. And for essentially the same reasons, there will almost certainly never be a Constitutional Convention assembled to effect the same thing.

But the subject makes for good griping in our beer fodder …

1 Like

Term limits seem to be common ideas from both sides.

For POTUS, A 2 term limit, with the ability to run again after a 4 year break.
No more than 4 terms.

Somehow overhaul the primary process, and limit it to 6 months.
Then only 6 months of campaigning for POTUS. Same for Incumbent.

For the rest of congress, no term limits. If one is a good politician, and gets things done, why force them out of office?

To minimize the incumbent advantage:

• Limit the election process to 3 months prior to election day
  • Public financed election process.

Ranked voting is also an option.

Why not Chris? What happened?

They wouldn’t survive it.

Physically?

Yea, that’s a lot of stress

1. I’d like to see POTUS being a single 6 year term. Then out. Since they can’t run for reelection while in office they would have at least a 6 year break. They can run again on the next cycle,

2. A sitting POTUS is not eligible to run for reelection (sorry VP, that is part of the deal) if you move up to the big seat. However a sitting VP could run for POTUS.

3. Presidential cycles would be required to be on “odd” years between Senate/House elections.

4. I’d love to figure out a way to break the DNC/RNC strangle hold on politics where politicians have to more beholden to the party that to the country and the people or end up with their head on a pike.

5. And I’d love to see something like like the British Parliament where the President would have to stand before Congress for a minimum of X hours (maybe 2 hours) every other week to answer questions directly.

6. I’d also like to see where it would be illegal for Congress to adjourn or break prior to the passage of the government being fully funded.
    .WW, PHS

2 Likes

Looks workable.

If the election process was less rigged, the idea of term limits would not seem so attractive.

FDR would have made 4, consecutive terms, if he was not so sick.

1 Like

Yes, and mentally. Look at how they age after two terms. That kind of stress and pressure is not good for anybody.

I like the idea of them coming back. They learn the job during the first term.

1 Like

That doesn’t belong in a polity’s charter. The legislature is only place to sort that out.

Also, this would do damage to animal rights legislation, which is backwards and inhumane.

Absentee ballots in most states aren’t even counted for weeks or more until after an election.

Of course it does, as it puts all of our guaranteed rights at stake.

3 terms killed him.

CA was a wreck before term limits.

1 Like

Okay. If that becomes an issue I’m sure it can be rectified.

It is an issue so how can you have an instant runoff?

Require their submission earlier so that they can be counted at the same time as the others.