How well are Democrats and media following the Media Matters playbook from Jan 2017?

In January 2017, a leaked Media Matters confidential playbook was published. It outlined a liberal game plan attacking Trump and his supporters. Here is a link to the full text of the plan entitled, “Democracy Matters: Strategic Plan for Action”

Here are some highlights:

1. Refuse to recognize the election results: “We have the mandate. . . The country did not vote for Trump-style change. . . We will resist the normalization of Donald Trump.” p. 1

2. Silence conservative media voices: They claimed that they denied Trump access to phone interviews (p. 6), kicked Glenn Beck off of cable (p. 8), and that Media Matters is the source of 17,929 news reports (p. 7).

3. Weaponize Facebook, Twitter, and Google against Trump supporters: “Media Matters has already secured access to raw data from Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites . . .” p. 10

Google will cut off access to ad revenue. p 13

Train thousands of volunteers to harass conservatives to flag and deny access to conservatives. 40,000 added in December 2016. Win with corporate pressure campaigns. p 13

1. Defeat or Impeach Trump by 2020: “Trump will be defeated either by impeachment or the ballot box by 2020 . . . We will not back down” p. 1 - 2

My opinion is that Democrats and their many supporters in the media have been closely following the Media Matters playbook. The only problem is that Trump’s favorable rating is higher now than when he was elected.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/trump_favorableunfavorable-5493.html

At the same time Hillary Clinton’s have fallen to record lows:

They seem to be following the plan, winning the battles, but losing the war. What is your opinion?

An implication of the game plan is that a Democratic take over of the House could result in at least two years of impeachment hearings and bitter conflict with the Trump administration. Do you think America is ready for that outcome?

1 Like

I didn’t get that playbook.

Who is “they”? I didn’t get the playbook, so how could I be following it?

My opinion? Sounds pretty dumb.

It won’t. Democrats taking the House will only stifle Republican plans without any checks and balances.

America should be ready for checks and balances, Its what the founding fathers wanted.

wait how can the memo be confidential if we’re reading it… doesn’t that make it… not confidential?

Okay that was really weird. Some posts just dissipated before my eyes.

Yes, yes they did.

1 Like

I deliberately crashed my Volvo during the outrage and boycott.

I looked at my smashed Kureig and said “Take that you liberal single service coffee dispenser!”

2 Likes

Yeah I think in general boycotting stuff has been going on forever (though I think it’s pretty ineffective myself). If that’s all Media Matters came up with, they need to think a little harder IMHO.

That’s some real insight there… “defeat Trump in 2020”… what a crazy “playbook”… :joy:

1 Like

Totally and completely shocked that Democrats would want to try to defeat Trump. These are some serious strategy and tactics here folks.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain . . .

2 Likes

They could not do this without help… or willful naivete.

True.

I find irony in that the title of the piece starts with the phrase “Democracy Matters”. The first section appears to offer explanations why the results of free and fair elections should be ignored. Later sections appear to discuss ways to shutdown voices of political opponents. I doubt that most people would include those points as compatible with free and functioning democracy.

Does democracy really matter to Media Matters?

Or are they implying that the ends justify the means?

1 Like

Some words are more equal than others.

Remember that time when Mich McConnel declared to the entire Country that his top priority was to make Obama a one term President?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

Doesn’t matter if America is ready or not.

The only thing that matters is a majority of the House voting for impeachment.

I wasn’t ready for Hyde and the boys impeaching Clinton but there it was.

Allan

Democrats seem to be trying to avoid admitting the game plan on impeachment:

“They say, ‘Maxine, please don’t say impeachment anymore.’ “And when they say that, I say impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment,” she said.

“I had a conversation here today with someone asked, ‘Well, what about Pence? If you are able to impeach, Pence will be worse,’” she recollected.“Well, I said, ‘Look, one at a time.’ “You knock one down, one at a time,” she said.

Maxine Waters: "Impeachment! Impeachment! Impeachment! Impeachment!" "I'm Gonna Get Him" | Video | RealClearPolitics!

I haven’t seen “silencing political opponents” as part of their campaign commercials either.

1 Like