How the Pandemic Defeated America

No, I do not know what you’re talking about.

@LucyLou since you liked it, maybe you can answer?

or is there something inherent to Trump’s nature and how he behaves that compromised our collective reaponse to this epidemic?

What? What inherent in Trump’s nature compromised the response in NY and California?

No fun?

:+1: :+1:

2 Likes

A high school diploma used to be the equivalent of a college degree. People would then start a job, learn on the job and advance accordingly.

Of course if you wanted a law degree, engineering or medical degree further education would have been required as it is now.

Excellent post.

I’d also add the CDC had plenty of funding to study and to prepare for pandemics. I think they, like any government agency, got complacent and missed the mark.

One positive aspect of this is the realization that manufacturing crucial to this country needs to be brought back home and some should go to multiple sources.

We had the majority of our eggs in one basket with China as did many other countries.

I think this pandemic was a wake up call.

1 Like

Thanks for putting this so well.

Domestic production and improved border security should be an easy consensus. Instead it is a fight every step of the way.

1 Like

Society changed, and education changed around it. The role of education has always been to prepare kids for the world that exists now, not the one that existed 20 years ago. The world is more connected than ever, and as times change, and society changes, education adapts. As a student, the only projector I ever had was reel-to-reel projector, and some lucky kid got picked to change slides when the tape beeped. Now, it’s uncommon to see a classroom without a ceiling projector connected to the teacher’s PC/tablet connected to the internet, with the world’s information at everyone’s fingertips.

There’s nothing stopping employers from setting minimum qualifications and hiring candidates within those qualifications.

I found 15 days to slow the spread clear and unifying.

Pence did well and Trump was correct to ask him to lead with his calm demeanor.

It could not have been done better.

There are a lot of people who don’t want government or the media to do our thinking for us.

My own personal Romance of the Three Kingdoms as a kid broke down into a middle class Jewish neighborhood, a mostly black ghetto and an entirely white blue collar neighborhood composed of the urban versions of this guy.

Why would there be?

A town with zero COVID cases should shut down? Why?

1 Like

Honestly, if you © have to look to a politician for guidance then so be it.

Collective response? Yikes. That’s scary. :sheep: :sheep:

Then why are they so ill prepared?

And what has anyone actually learned with the world’s information at everyone’s fingertips?

Because information on COVID was widely available beginning in January from places from people sounding the alarm in China to Italy, et. al.

But despite that, you have Cumo and Whitmer placing COVID positive people in nursing homes.

It makes one wonder just how connected and informed they actually are.

Businesses would do well to have candidates take an aptitude test as a qualification for hiring. I’d take a person who has the right attitude, drive and willingness to learn over some college puke who thinks they are owed a job.

I tried to do my part with that but was deemed essential.

Those were scary times.

I actually fired a guy, who because his local bar was shut down, hosted dart parties at his house every night.

I couldn’t risk my employees over such stupid selfishness.

It’s not about shutting down, it should be about wearing a mask in public, social distancing.

Flatten the curve. The curve is currently on a downward track, and rather than just one state, it’s across the country. Infection rates spiked to 75,000per day and are now down at 45,000. End of March, it was around 30,000. That’s about as flat as the curve is going to get. Hopefully, it starts to taper off over the next couple of weeks.

1 Like

Did they socially distance and wear masks like they recommended?

As I have said. My State, my town does not require masks. However, the stores require masks for entry.

People have taken things into their own hands. The way it should be.

I agree, and yet so many acted as though they trusted Trump’s COVID proclamations over anyone else’s.

It’s a virus. People are going to eventually be exposed. Some will be unaffected, some will be affected, some will die. That is the way pandemics work.

There will be a vaccine, but how many strains are there and how many mutated strains will there be this time next year?

Should everyone stop living? Hole up and wait for a government check then complain about the deficit?

Have some common sense: If you’re compromised stay home and limit contact. If you aren’t, sanitize, social distance.

1 Like