How should the State Department respond to the latest "unprovoked attack"?

Reports are coming in that show damage to drone factory in Ishafan, Iran in an apparent attack by Israeli drones:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/israel-appears-to-have-been-behind-drone-strike-on-iranian-factory-us-official/ar-AA16SkJM

Earlier this month Israel’s out-going army chief, Aviv Kochavi, commented on Israeli plans to strike in response to Iranian nuclear weapons development:

This prompted Israel to come up with different plans to prevent Tehran from obtaining nuclear weapons.
"These extend from a retaliatory strike on Iran that would be unrelated to the nuclear issue, to the taking out of the Iranian nuclear installations and auxiliary sites in that project, and if the situation eventually escalates into a full-fledged campaign then these plans also include the targeting of military sites and other assets,” Kochavi told Israel Hayom.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/defense/1673599013-israel-has-3-plans-to-neutralize-iran-s-nuclear-program-army-chief

If Israel follows through with its plans to take out Iran’s nuclear program, additional (unreported) attacks may have already occurred and/or may occur in the immediate future.

Based on the current report, the apparent Israeli strikes would certainly meet the State Department’s criteria for an “unprovoked attack”:

1. To my knowledge, Iran’s military has never attacked Israel directly.

2. Menacing military forces, even those within a few miles of a nation’s territory, are not provocative. Ishafan is over 900 miles from Israel.

3. Actions by proxies or against don’t count as provocation either.

Should the US send aid to Iran in the name of protecting national sovereignty in response the unprovoked attack?

Go Israel! Kick their stupid asses!

9 Likes

We should congratulate Israel on their aim.

7 Likes

Does that mean that you don’t see the Israeli strikes as an unprovoked attack?

Or are some unprovoked attacks a good thing?

1 Like

Nah, anything they do to Iran is a counter attack in my book. There’s still an entire generation of terrorists in Iran’s government/populace that have it coming too. Good riddance. lol

3 Likes

An oldie but a goodie.

Remember this gem from the 2006 conflict?

No. Most of my foreign language music is either religious, opera or anime.

Israel hacked into a Hezbollah sponsored TV station and played that song (singing about how they all getting sent packing to Allah) while they proceeded to bomb the snot out of them. :rofl:

The US and its allies certainly do not have clean hands when it comes to Iran.

The UK and USSR invaded and partitioned Iran into zones of occupation during WW2.

The US and UK overthrew the elected government of Iran in a 1953 coup that installed the Shah.

Between 200,000 and 500,000 Iranian soldiers died after their county was invaded by Sadaam Hussein’s armies in the Iran-Iraq War.

The US sent weapons to Iraq during that war.

On the other hand, Iran humiliated the US when they held 52 Americans hostage and published classified files from the American Embassy. Worse yet, two CIA officers were among the hostages.

All the more reason to cheer Israel on, good point. :wink:

Do … not … care … one … jot.

2 Likes

yes, yes, yes, America is evil, we get it

1 Like

Sure. Now tell us how you get the American public to get behind it

1 Like

Attacks on Iran have not always gone as planned. We learned that during the failed hostage rescue attempt in 1980.

Iran released the hostages immediately after Reagan took office on January 20, 1981. There was speculation that the timing was not an accident but the result of efforts to swing the election against Carter. Recent revelations support that idea with David Rockerfeller and his chief of staff, Joseph Reed Jr, playing a big role:

“I had given my all” to thwarting any effort by the Carter officials “to pull off the long-suspected ‘October surprise,’” Mr. Reed wrote in a letter to his family after the election, apparently referring to the Chase effort to track and discourage a hostage release deal. He was later named Mr. Reagan’s ambassador to Morocco.

“Mr. Reed” was Joseph Reed Jr, Rockefeller’s chief of staff . . .
Ronald Reagan’s “October Surprise” Plot Was Real After All

Rockerfeller had a long history of association with the CIA. Was his apparent involvement in sabotaging Carter’s efforts at winning release of the hostages just a coincidence?

That’s so 42 years ago. We’ve upgraded our air filters adequately since then. Besides, it’s Israel doing the twerp slapping this time around, not us. Let them test the new gadgets. :wink:

3 Likes

The oligarchy that actually run things in Washington certainly has done a lot of evil. The elected government is mainly for show at this point.

The massive contradictions in US foreign policy are the result of excuses used to rationalize what gives the most benefit to the oligarchs. What is good for the oligarchy is not necessarily good for average Americans, and it can be lethal to millions overseas.

With silence

1 Like

Biden will verbally reprimand Israel and will probably issue some sort of sanction.

Anything Iran has that can be used against Israel, will be used against Israel and it’s only a matter of time.

Silence would be a reasonable response.

The US and Israel just finished war games, Exercise Juniper Oak 2023. Is the timing of the Israeli strike just a coincidence?

Curiously I see little mention of the games in the US mainstream media, but after further seaching I found this report from NBC:

About 6,400 U.S. personnel have joined 1,100 Israeli personnel for the exercise, which will employ 142 total aircraft. Of them, 100 aircraft are from the U.S. military, including four B-52 bombers, four F-35 fighter jets, 45 F/A-18 Hornet fighters and two MQ-9 Reaper drones. Six U.S. ships, including a carrier strike group, and six Israeli ships will also participate.