How OLD am I...or YOU?

I had fallout shelters at my elementary school!

It had water and what we call “MRE’s” today!

That’s how you say it

You are right THERE with what I’m talking about baby!

45’s and 33’s!

8 track TAPES!

Rabbit ears

Saturday morning cartoons

Jim McCay!

1 Like

That’s how New Yorkers say it - but I believe the actual Polish pronunciation is closer to Ka-Shoosh-ko.

1 Like

I remember when WABC 770 was pop rock.

Wasn’t IMUS a DJ back then?

ME TOO!

I’d forgotten that!

and before that…

“Thriller Theater” every saturday morning?

I still have one but now I get “weird face” from tellers when I make a deposit.

You got TWO movies, a cartoon, and a a couple of previews for a buck.

1 Like

As I recall Cousin Brucie was the best know DJ on WABC.

I started listening to WNEW-FM in 1970. Free form radio was great; DJs like Vince Sclesa, Pete Fornatell, Alison Steel, Dave Herman and of course Scott Muni.

There is a site out there with histories and collections of sound bites from the old WABC broadcasts.

Here is one:

2 Likes

Couldn’t use calculators on math tests, but slide rules were OK.

A kid had a Bowmar Brain calculator. He was hot ■■■■ because his parents could afford the $200 pricetag for the four-function calculator. (This was in the early 70s.) Teacher confiscated it when the kid pulled it out for a test.

1 Like

CHILLER Theater”, Saturday nights on channel 11.

And prizes given out during intermissions.

Alison Steel - the “Night Bird” and John Zacherly.

1 Like

Saturday Matinee at the theater. 25 cents would get you in and buy you a soda and candy bar.
Superman serials (George Reeves)were popular.

And The News Reels they showed before the main picture show.

The first song she played on her late night show was “Nights in White Satin”. I have no clue why I remember that but I guess some things stick with you. :grinning:

1 Like

The abacus I’m sure is a joke, but let’s see:

Things before my time would be doctors making house calls (I did see that on old tv shows, though), milk had switched to plastic gallon jugs, but I still remember the paper half gallons, and we only had three channels. We could sometimes get ABC if the weather was right.

“The abacus I’m sure is a joke”

Nope.

They are still used in some parts of the world; may be helpful to those with visual impairment; and are still used to teach children arithmetic.

phone numbers began with letters