House GOP avoids vote on support for Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen

First order of business for the lame duck GOP house rules committee was to strip special privelage from a vote on our involvement in the war in Yemen…

Well that is pretty crazy.

Our support in the Yemen war is one of the black marks on our country that I was certain that there would be bipartisan support to change.

‘Today’s conservatism is the opposite of what liberals want today, updated daily.’

If liberals and Democrats sincerely opposed this military support, really wanted to end it, and wanted the GOP to get on board with them, they’d . . . . support it.

The lobbyists from Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Boeing, et al hold greater sway than anyone else at the moment.
“War is the improvement of investment climates by other means.” Clausewitz For Dummies

2 Likes

Dems can do what they want in a few months. Dems never seemed to worry about how many civilians Obama killed… and it was tons…

I specifically recall you being very worried about it.

Yes… Why did he kill so many in Libya… And I don’t mean the Americans.

Extract from Senate floor log, chronological order would be bottom up, this is from today’s proceedings.

1:10 p.m. The motion to table was agreed to by a vote of 77-21. Not voting: Senators Coons and Nelson. Voting no: Senators Baldwin, Booker, Cantwell, Casey, Durbin, Feinstein, Gillibrand, Harris, Hirono, Leahy, Lee, Markey, Merkley, Moran, Murray, Paul, Peters, Sanders, Van Hollen, Warren and Wyden.

12:25 p.m. The Senate began voting on the motion to table the motion to discharge S. J. Res 65.

12:15 p.m. Senator Menendez spoke against the Bahrain Arms sales resolution.

11:49 a.m. Senator Paul spoke about US involvement in Yemen and the Bahrain Arms Sales resolution.

11:33 a.m. Senator Cornyn spoke about the Senate’s accomplishments during the 115th Congress.

11:18 a.m. Senator Durbin spoke about criminal justice reform.

11:10 a.m. Senator Cardin spoke about AG Sessions and Special Counsel Mueller.

11:04 a.m. Senator Paul offered his motion to discharge S.J.Res. 65, the Bahrain Arms Sales Resolution Disapproval.

Only 19 Democrats could bring themselves to join Senators Paul and Lee against the arms trade lobby, so they really are no better than Republicans on this issue. Overall, Democrats are just as much slaves to the Defense Industry as are Republicans and take their money same as Republicans.

1 Like

I don’t know if they’re “no better”. Almost forty percent of them voted no. Only four percent of Republicans voted no. That isn’t exactly equivalent, even if the result is the same.

Wasn’t the GOP in the majority when that happens?

Yes, McCain helped Obama bomb Libya. No one seems to know why we were there…

Well actually many people do. You don’t. You also didn’t know there was a civil war going on. But you were oh so concerned about the Libyan people. Weird oversight.

1 Like

What civilians did he kill in lybia