House Democrats to propose universal background checks for gun sales

I love the idea of registering guns… I don’t see why that is an issue?

1 Like

Good. You still don’t see it?

Yeah, still don’t see it, why don’t you explain how it “destroys the concept of universal registration” while still allowing universal registration of Class III firearms, explosive devices, etc…

You won’t be able to register any arms owned by anyone but those owned by law abiding citizens. Who are not criminals.

Explosives are completely different. Class III you raise a good point. I personally don’t believe they should be any different, but that’s my compromise. Also don’t forget McDonald.

The whole thing is a big ball of hoplophobes trying to create a diminished right. I think the next one is Thomas’ legacy.

Yeah, but possession of an unregistered firearm by someone who is not allowed to possess a firearm could be and still is currently a crime.

Precisely. Glad we could agree.

So you agree that registration of firearms is not unconstitutional except in the case of requiring registration for those who are already prohibited from possessing firearms.

No. Because if you require registration, now you can’t force it because it would be self incrimination.

All a person has to do to not be required to register is to not register.

The only persons who you couldn’t force to register are those who would incriminate themselves, you know, those already prohibited from possessing firearms…

No. That not being able to register them makes the whole thing unConstitutional. How are you going to justify that?

Read what SteelWolf said again.

President Trump is not the friend to the Second Amendment that you think he is, in my opinion.

That’s true. I doubt he knows what it is. Somebody will line him out.

I opposed the WA state UBC initiative for a few specific reasons but it passed 60/40 in Nov 2014 so it’s now state law.
As a multiple gun owner here’s how I now deal with the scenario you describe.
I require the sale through an FFL with a background check.
I don’t like the hassle, but I know that if that firearm ever ended up in a LE trace they’d know I was the original purchaser and I want to demonstrate that I legally sold it else I’m exposed to legal sanction (even if I said I don’t remember who I sold it to or who the FFL was).
A registry isn’t necessary to motivate me to pass the law.
Given how many private sales are handled through FFL’s now in my state it’s clear I’m not the only one.

Of course another solution would be to learn to love flintlocks like I have. :smile:

1 Like

I have no problem with that choice.

The problem with your scenario is that if you don’t remember who you sold it to, then they have no way of knowing the gun is no longer yours. All they know is you bought the gun and no paperwork indicates you sold it.

That’s becaise the 4473 that the new buyer fills out doesn’t go anywhere. It just sits in the FFLs file cabinet. The ATF is not allowed to keep track of them or background checks because…that would be a gun registry.

Yes I know that.
I don’t want to accept any risk at all.
Saying “I don’t remember” might work or it might not.
I reluctantly accept the added hassle of taking my firearm into an FFL. It doesn’t cost me any money; that’s on the buyer–just the inconvenience to me.

It’s my reality living in this state; I assume your state is different.

What choice did they have?

Exactly. My state has it too. It’s a bit of a pain, but a lot less pain than having to explain myself if something I sold ever got used in the commission of a crime and traced back to me.

Anyway, before that, I never worried about BOS and ID when buying a gun privately, but I always insisted on it when selling. So, it’s more inconvenient but not a great deal more than I already would have done.

I’m not without sin.
If it’s a firearm I bought before Nov 2014 and I know the buyer, well… :slight_smile: