Homeowner insurance rate surged 23% last year (per Bankrate) . . . Car insurance jumped an average 26% (per CBS)

Most of the articles offer little explanation for why this is happening.
Typically when they do they immediately turn to natural disaster such as wildfires, hurricanes.

The worst ones then promptly begin discussing global warming and how awful one of our parties is.
It should be noted however that insurance companies, like banks and pension funds are among the world’s biggest bond buyers. As many people have learned lately, when interest rate rise, the “sell now” value of bonds drops quite rapidly.

Here is a chart showing the rise, and subsequent fall, of the “sell now” value of a hypothetical $10,000 invested in 20-year bonds in 2002

Here is the same (20-yer bond) chart from above presented with a few editorial lines for clarity.

The cost of living just keeps on going up! But I guess people from all over the world coming from abject poverty, with little to no education, or marketable skills, and don’t speak English will do just fine! They will be living the dream.

I am not sure how much illegal immigration affects insurance rates.
It definitely impacts overall inflation, it reduces wages and increases the cost of food and housing (and presumably gas and medical care) etc…

When the gov’t expands the money supply, wherever it goes, that increased demand causes prices to rise.

1 Like

Uninsured motorists.

1 Like

Property near border is going to pay more for insurance.

On my insurance, the uninsured motorist only accounts for $57 in premiums - and I carry 250k/500k/250k. My total premium is $638,so the uninsured motorist is only about 9% of the cost of the entire policy.

Folks, make sure you are shopping around regularly when your renewal comes. Sometimes you can get a deal that might be worth causing you to change. Obviously, check reviews on any company before buying and make sure you have similar coverage.

I was being sarcastic. Democrats keep telling us how all these people showing up at the border are going to get good paying jobs and are not going to be living off the government.

1 Like