Hitchcock Was a Genius / Hitchcock Was Horrible

Did you watch that clip you posted? Lord almighty…

Oh good grief. I’d hate to know what you consider great films.

Nothing by Hitchcock.

Film taste is all subjective. There is no right or wrong answer or reason to “what’s your favorite film?”.

My favorite Hitchcock films are Psycho and Rear Window. I also loved the TV show… and not just because my dad wrote for it.

For me, top five favorite films are:
The Exorcist
Psycho
The Empire Strikes Back
and a toss up between Wings of Desire and Casablanca

Did you watch those clips? I half imagine the person putting it together hated that film, it was ridiculous.

Here are some quality clips…

You Casablanca fools…

1 Like
  1. The Seven Samurie
  2. Fargo
  3. The Seventh Seal
  4. La Dolce Vita
  5. Blue Velvet
  6. The Godfather
  7. Citizen Kane
  8. Days of Heaven
  9. Yojimbo
  10. Spirited Away

There you go, discuss away.

2 Likes

Rear Window… which I love… does have some really bonkers moments.

Like the part where they are all swirling liquor in their glasses while talking to each other.

That part is nuts.

Has anyone seen Frenzy?

It is the craziest Hitchcock movie by far.

That movie was loony tunes. The characters were unlikeable, like most of his films, but it was a bit grislier than his typical fare. Not his best, not his worst, but interesting in the fact it was substantially more violent than his usual offerings.

My dad and I would watch that movie when I was a kid. He grew up idolizing Humphrey Bogart.

Violent with elements of absurdity and slapstick.

The movie is nuts.

Agreed. I wonder what it is that folks see in him, where they put him ahead of visionaries and artists. He did nothing better in any genre he attempted. He just did a lot of films and TV. Folks liked his schtick, so to speak.

You don’t need to do a film a year to be a great director. Malick has done 6 or 7 films in almost 50 years. It is what you put out there that counts.

When you sit down and watch a film without knowing who directed it, can you tell just by watching it? The Spielberg close up is a common example, you see that, you know he did it.

Kubrick, to me, was all about the sound of the film.

To me, there is a difference between a movie and a film. A movie is seen for enjoyment, a film is a product of an artist and whether you enjoy it or not is irrelevant to its existence.

Hitchcock made movies.

1 Like

I love seven of those films. The three others are just good.

There are many good or great films. Obviously I would love The Godfather for a different reason than I love Spirited Away or Blue Velvet or The Birds or Marnie.

I have seen every Kurosawa film he ever made multiple times. Some are just good, some are very good, some are masterpieces, a few are super masterpieces.

I dispise Malick’s sophomoric psycho-babble I like the cinematography. I like it that most of his films, until recently, were shot on real film, but as Christopher Plummer said about him, “Get a Writer!”

I don’t usually “hate” movies, where I would get worked up over it, but it is a sad disgrace what Malick did to the great novel, The Thin Red Line.

Fargo is just a good quirky cop film. No Country for old Men is excellent. I’ve watched it at least 5 times. I loved Raising Arizona, hilarious movie. Blood Simple was good. I’m sure they would think your attacks on Hitchcock would be absurd and ridiculous.

Bergman made some great films. The Virgin
Spring is an incredible masterpiece, for me it’s his best movie and one of the greatest films of all time. There is a movie, The Witch, a few years ago that reminded me of The Virgin Spring.

La Dolce Vita and other Fellini films are okay, good, but none I’d put on a top 100 list. I preferred Antonioni, as far as an Italian directors list. Juliet of the Spirits was so stupid–and the Fellini fans I knew well, were obsessive compulsives or trying to impress with weird obsessions.

I love all David Lynch films

I love all the Ghibli studio film, especially Spirited Away.

I love most Coppola movies, especially Apocalypse Now and The Godfather series. I loved One from the Heart as well.

There are superior directors and films you don’t mention that I would place much higher on a list, than most of those you mention. Your list is almost a film school cliché.

Poor Orson Welles, he was probably stone drunk when he made those comments.

Hitchcock was not shooting for realism, his quirky, time stands still, suspense crescendos, style, was copied by so many other good directors and a few admit it.

Seeing your list totally contradicts your earlier remarks about modern directors “mocking” Hitchcock.

They are not a cliche, they are my favorites, and favorites are of course subjective.

I never mentioned that modern directors mocked Hitchcock either, just that Welles did.

Scroll up and see for yourself.

You seem to know a lot about movies, and I know a fair bit myself. We disagree on some things and that is standard for the course. Different people like different things.

To me, Hitchcock made movies. Cheap, stupid movies. He had a few gems, for sure, like Psycho. Really liked that movie, albeit it moved at a snail’s pace. I suppose the big thing for me with him is the same problem I have with Aronofsky, I simply cannot stand or sympathize with any of the characters, so it is hard for me to invest in the story.

Which is why I liked Psycho so much, you sympathized for Norman Bates in a weird way.

Malick is and will always be for particular tastes, I get that. Whether it is his refusal to use lighting in a lot of shots or the attention he pays to smaller moments, like the locust scene in Days of Heaven, you have to be willing to view the film as an expression of someone’s artistic vision. Much in the same way you watch the Seventh Seal or a Lynch film.

I had a hard time choosing between Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet for my Lynch film, I have great affection for both, but I consider Blue Velvet to be the best film of the 1980’s.

These are all “movies” They are all “films”

Not my favorite Hitchcock film, it lacks the kind of character complexities and funny business in my favorite Hitchcock films.

That’s a very odd comment.

Some of his movies he is trying too hard to implement Kubrickian techniques, which I appreciate he is learning, Black Swan was too disgusting. Mother! is a great film, but he is too chicken to tell his audience what he was really saying. Some critics might have realized what he was really saying and turned on the movie. He pretended it was about Global warming…ha ha just so as not to enrage leftist fruitcakes he had working in the film.

For me, Mother! is like the Dr. Seuss story: