Hey Media Geniuses Try This

The clear panel allows for light transmission (since we can see through it), what makes you think that having a plastic panel over mouth is going to transmit sound much more effectiverly then cloth?

Experience in my old job from wearing plastic and rubber based masks at certain times.
.WW, PSHS

I also find a benefit to children and trust in facial reading.

Interesting opposition.

I see a lack of risk taking and creativity from the communications medium. Not surprising to me.

If you cannot get the full lip reading experience, why help a little?

:tv:

I depend on seeing more of someone’s face during both in-person and virtual meetings. I can pick up more non-verbal cues, facial expressions, etc.

I keep captions on the TV now too because it helps me since so many are wearing masks while speaking. I’m not complaining about that just stating it affects how I hear them too.

1 Like

This is why I created the topic.

Newscasters are communicating to a larger audience. Give the clear masks a shot if you must wear them while broadcasting.

Thanks!

:tv:

An OP who is discussing items from their links is both expected and the norm.

I saw it.

Why would a clear panel allow for better sound transmission?

Because it isn’t pressed against the mouth.

I have 4 different types of masks, two homemade that my wife put together and a couple of different versions of commercial cloth masks.

Non “press against the mouth” becasuse if worn properly the upper part should be over the nose and the lower part over the chin. Those points provide an air gap, never felt the cloth pressing against my lips.
.WW, PSHS

It is no less pressed against the mouth than a cloth mask.

The most common cloth disposables I see the air talent wear during local news casts certainly do.

They have trouble keeping them on.

:man_shrugging:t3:

Again, why do you think plastic covering the face is going to transmit sound any better than a cloth covering? IMHO both will muffle the sound.

And no, it will not be because of lip reading.
.WW, PSHS

Now we are repeating.

I think we both made our points.

Interesting negative response.

I would like to see faces.

:man_shrugging:t3:

One of my common sayings to my wife is, “I can’t hear you without my glasses on.”

1 Like

It’s about more than just sound transmission.