Head of US Cit. and Im. - Statue of Lib. talking about people from Europe

“‘Wretched,’ ‘poor,’ refuse’ - right? That’s what the poem says America is supposed to stand for. So what do you think America stands for?” Burnett asked Cuccinelli.

“Well, of course, that poem was referring back to people coming from Europe,” Cucinelli answered, “where they had class-based societies, where people were considered wretched if they weren’t in the right class … And it was written one year after the first federal public charge rule was written.”

What is the difference between an immigrant from Europe and one from S. or Central American? I mean, other than the obvious.

Sounds pretty racist to me.

Oh dear. He said the quite thoughts out loud.

1 Like

and he will be fired before Monday.

I doubt it

What’s the difference? This Second generation immigrant poverty rate as compared to native rate of 15.7

from http://www.ipss.go.jp/webj-ad/WebJournal.files/population/p2001/2G%20POVERTY1.pdf

Europe 16.8
Asia 20.3
S. America 25.4
Caribbean 33.1
C. America 41.0
N. America 19.5

You do know when mass immigration from Europe was happening it wasn’t the rich that were flocking to America it was the dirty poor.

uh-huh.

You think all those european immigrants who built our canals and cities…they were all upstanding wealthy people?

And you know plaques on statues aren’t public policy.

2 Likes

If you want to talk about the type of immigration changing into more high skilled vs labor we can have that debate.

but to suggest that European migrants to America were not dirt poor is simply not true.

1 Like

There was plenty of push back on their immigrating as well, for the same reason. This country has had much more restrictive immigration policy through much of our history.

1 Like

and for most of American history the immigration policy favored labor over skilled/education, are we seeing a shift into more high skilled / educated policy like other countries have (Canada, etc).

Same as the Irish when they immigrated to America in the 1860s
They were poor refuse, came to America and made good now 4 and 5 and 6 generation.

Give the new immigrants time to assimilate.

Allan

I think we have enough people already. Already starting to run out of water for instance. How many people should we shoot for? A billion? Two? Ten?

1 Like

You say that and then will push for economic growth with the next breath.

1 Like

Not at the expense of quality of life. Just growing the GDP through increased population doesn’t make people’s lives better.

“Go back where you came from, filthy Irish!” as they hurl stones at the people stepping off the boat.

Well the politicians you elect don’t make the distinction.

Phew. So we’re just as bad as our forefathers. What a relief.

You might be. I’m not. lol

Good question.

We can certainly take more immigrants. I just want to do so legally and through proper policy.

We owe our immigrants that much.

:children_crossing: