Guess Which Famous Progressive Said It

Not in his intellectual gifts lies the source of the comrade’s capacity for creating and building culture. If he had just this alone, he could only act destructively, in no case could he organize; for the innermost essence of all organization requires that the individual renounce putting forward his personal opinion and interests and sacrifice both in favor of a larger group. Only byway of this general community does he again recover his share. Now, for example, he no longer works directly for himself, but with his activity articulates himself with the community, not only for his own advantage, but for the advantage of all. The most wonderful elucidation of this attitude is provided by his word ‘work,’ by which he does not mean an activity for maintaining life in itself, but exclusively a creative effort that does not conflict with the interests of the community. Otherwise he designates human activity, in so far as it serves the instinct of self-preservation without consideration for his fellow men, as theft, usury, robbery, burglary, etc.

This state of mind, which subordinates the interests of the ego to the conservation of the community, is really the first premise for every truly human culture.

Go on, guess. Sound familiar?

Ties in well with this hero…

The state is the divine idea as it exists on earth. The state will be perfected. …the individual, whose supreme duty is to be a member of the state.
Hegel

1 Like

john Stuart mill?

(no google)

(i dont recall him using terms like “comrade” but “duty to community” sounds familiar)

Not a bad guess. Incorrect.

1 Like

I think I know who…first thought it was Lenin but it’s not him. :wink:

1 Like

No, not Lenin.

comrades?

gotta be an idealist communist

Che?

Allan

What other kind is there?

I figured it out. Comrades was a substitute.

Good one!

I’m a little disappointed at the lack of critprog turn out. Courage of convictions and all that

1 Like

Why? He is not progressive in the American understanding or context of the word, and it’s clearly a troll thread.

Why should anybody post here?

2 Likes

Castro…

download (4)

2 Likes

Close, but no cigar. :rofl:

I crack myself up.

1 Like

That’s wrong. Read the words.

That’s wrong too.

OK I"m looking it up. I"m now thinking it was a democrat now.

2 Likes

Some people already looked it up.

Holy ■■■■■

1 Like

Yep.

Was he some student of Leninism?