Great Salt Lake becoming the Great Toxic Dustbowl

Hopefully California, Oregon, Washington, New Jersey, & New York…
:wink: :rofl:

Yeah…… but then when they flee the sinking ships where do they land?

Unfortunately, when something is impossible (living in and uninhabitable place) it often means “we just have to write a bigger check.”

2 Likes

I am sure the millions we are allowing across the border won’t use any water in the west.

Great job freaking out over one incident? lol

It’s a salt lake because it’s been evaporating for thousands of years. The southwest is a desert. Which means it always suffers from drought.

It will still be there in five years… Heck, is the 60’s and 70’s the earth was supposed to be a drought ridden hell " By the year 2000">>.

I prefer occasionally benefits from historically unreliable rains and snows.

Actual droughts by historical norms are very, very scary.

1 Like

Was just listening to a weather forecast on an ag program….

Funny nobody bothered to look at this information when starting this thread.

“Will December’s big storms make a difference for the Great Salt Lake?”

“There is a reason for optimism — all the watersheds that feed the Great Salt Lake currently have snowpack that’s above average, thanks to some early-season storms and a hefty helping of powder that fell last week. Those storms will need to keep coming all winter, however, for the lake to reverse its collapse.”

The lake could use more water no question…but this year is looking good. “The lake’s “Goldilocks zone” for a healthy elevation is around 4,200 feet — about 11 feet higher than its current level. But if the lake climbs to at least 4,195 feet, it would reach a point “where most resources are not significantly compromised,” according to information provided by the Utah Department of Natural Resources.

It would take about five years of average snowpack for the lake to rise to that target elevation, the department’s models show.

But if Utah sees epic snowfall, on par with the 2016-2017 season, it would take only two years for the lake to reach 4,195 feet.

Runoff in 2017 brought 3.2 million acre-feet to the Great Salt Lake, compared to about 2 million acre-feet it sees in a normal year.”

And there’s more snow coming….”SALT LAKE CITY, Utah, Feb. 14, 2023 (Gephardt Daily) — Although March is closer than ever, the National Weather Service is forecasting another swat from winter Tuesday and Wednesday.

A winter storm will begin in the dark, starting early Tuesday, becoming widespread over central and southern Utah by Tuesday afternoon, the NWS said.

Expect 3-5 inches of snow in the valleys and up to 12 inches in the mountains”. National Weather Service prophecizes another Utah winter storm | Gephardt Daily

Gosh it couldn’t be that winter storms and weather in general have cyclical highs and lows or anything could it? I’d hate for another left wing prediction of a climate crisis to go un realized!

1 Like

It would take continual wet weather ad infinitum to keep the Lake filled.

Because much of the fresh water from snowpack and rivers are diverted to Ag, industry and residential housing, it is certain that the Lake will go dry at some point without counter measures. Everyone in Utah understands that.

Which is not what the actual information I just posted said….

But keep pushing the lie.

I enjoy laughing at left wing crap.

I’ve got a fence to build just thought I’d share a little information.

This is literally being addressed by Republicans in the state.

Sure, you posted information, but your subsequent analysis was crap.

2 Likes

Hmm interesting note on the cover

1 Like

Ever since the Disney Corporation bought National Geographic, the have increasing become a progressive environmentalist mouthpiece. They have only themselves to blame for their deterioration and eventual demise.

1 Like