Granholm for Secretary of Energy

How is that odd?

That doesn’t make sense. But okay.

its odd. you are free to believe its perfectly okay as you wish. i find it odd.

Canada :canada: is an enemy nation?

you’re right, it makes no sense that someone who can’t command the nations nuclear arsenal should be put in charge of it.

no, but i wouldn’t put any foreign citizen in charge of it. regardless of which nation they were a citizen of.

Huh?

She made an oath of American citizenship as an adult.

so?..

Foreign born members of the Cabinet are nothing new:

I may only be familiar with one piece of legislation she signed as Governor of Michigan, for which I respect her.

But there’s no loss of sleep here over her being a naturalized citizen. Last I heard, we weren’t ag war with Canada.

who said anything about cabinet members? i have only commented on this specific post. its my opinion, it won’t change.

Great domestic work in her former job as a governor. I want to see qualifications in the energy sector after all, the position is one of overseeing a huge sector of the US economy.
I’m not seeing it, what have I missed here?

I miss my Canuck friends; some going on 50 years. Our citizenships never created any animosity except during Penguins/ ‘Leafs games. We can’t go there and they can’t come here. One was a retired Toronto PD Investigator and when he passed we couldn’t go to his funeral; big disappointment. Good man, larger than life and a total badass.

Via Wikipedia:

Granholm is a distinguished adjunct professor of law and public policy at the UC Berkeley Goldman School of Public Policy and UC Berkeley School of Law.[75] In the Autumn of 2011, she taught a graduate course entitled “Governing in Tough Times”. She is also a senior research fellow at the Berkeley Energy and Climate Institute (BECI) Faculty and a project scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.[76] As a senior advisor to The Pew Charitable Trusts’ Clean Energy Program and founder of The American Jobs Project at UC Berkeley, Granholm spearheads a campaign for a national clean energy policy that promotes and funds American energy independence and home-grown manufacturing and innovation for wind, solar, and advanced battery industries across the United States

Seems like pretty solid qualifications.

Certainly better than Rick Perry, he called for the Department of Energy to be dismantled and at the same time couldn’t remember the name of the Department in a debate.

I’m hopeful for wind and solar energy especially if the manufacturing of equipment and the raw materials are American protective of American workers. I’ve been advised to expand my investments into battery technology especially automotive related. I’m skeptical of wind and solar satisfying the demand of the US Power grids; California as a prime example. I retired from an industrial service group that included coal, oil, gas, hydro and nuclear power generating facilities. There is technology to cleanly burn fossil fueled plants perhaps using them for peak demands supporting wind and solar. I don’t think you can “clean up” a hydroelectric generating facility other than insuring lubricant doesn’t contaminate the water. Nuclear? Clean, efficient capable of generating untold megawatts. The waste? Short of loading it on rockets and shooting it at the sun? Big problems.

Waste can be used in molten salt and related next gen reactors. Why we aren’t jumping on that seems a waste in itself.

and what waste do they produce? serious question. i have no idea

Spent rods from nuclear reactors are quite radioactive, but not enough so to drive a fission chain reaction in a standard power plant, though only about five percent of it’s actual “fuel” has been used. What’s left after it would be reprocessed for next gen reactors is plutonium, or at least the good part. The rest of the waste is far less dangerous and becomes basically harmless after a few centuries rather than millenia. The original plan was always to use this waste in next gen reactors but Jimmy Carter (supposedly) nixed that idea because plutonium is really good for making bombs and it was feared too dangerous to have that stuff susceptible to theft by nefarious actors like rogue nations and terrorists, so we never developed next gen reactors to any great degree. So to answer your question, they produce plutonium which would be refined to bomb grade material for next gen reactors.

sounds good… wonder about treaties though.

Treaties can be renegotiated. We have enough nuclear waste to power the entire country for a good long while, a couple of centuries if I’m not mistaken. 95 percent of the energy is still in the spent rods and we could extract most of that.

renegotiated… by the guy who was 100% on the wrong side of every one of them for 47 years?

i’ll pass