Good News? 4th Quarter GDP up 3.3%

So again I’m hoping everyone sees this as good news. 4th quarter GDP up 3.3% way outpacing expectations. And an increase of 2.5% for the year. Not too bad. Here’s the actual report:

https://www.bea.gov/news/2024/gross-domestic-product-fourth-quarter-and-year-2023-advance-estimate

This goes along well with new inflation data:

"In addition to the better than expected GDP move, there also was some progress on inflation.

Core prices for personal consumption expenditures, which the Federal Reserve prefers as a longer-term inflation measure, rose 2% for the period, while the headline rate was 1.7%.

On an annual basis, the PCE price index rose 2.7%, down from 5.9% a year ago, while the core figure excluding food and energy posted a 3.2% increase annually, compared with 5.1%."

1 Like

Several points.

GDP will be revised down just like it was last time.

Q4 GDP is always skewed due to Christmas and holiday shopping.

You forgot to mention the increase in unemployment applications.

Tech industries are laying off people by the thousands.

So just to be clear, because last year 4th quarter GDP was revised from 2.9% to 2.7% this is somehow bad news? But just as an example of how this works, each quarter has two revisions. For example, 3rd Quarter 2023 was initially 4.9%, then revised up to 5.2% and then the final revision was to 4.9%. Oh my god the horror. They update things as they get additional information. These are always the initial estimate. And an initial estimate of 3.3% when they were expecting 2% is good. No way to spin that. And please stop with these skewed numbers track. I’ve given up trying to explain to people here what “seasonably adjusted” means. If you honestly believe that’s an issue then you should never pay attention to any 4th quarter GDP numbers. And that’s just silly. And there was a jump in first time jobless claims this week. I didn’t intend for this thread to be about every single economic data point. But glad you were able to find one that you like. But that’s a volatile number. Most professionals look at the 4 week average. Which was down. But you forgot to mention that. But even with an uptick this week they are it’s showing a strong growth in jobs based on first time applications.

Where exactly did I say that?

Oh and quite truthfully could do without the condescending attitude.

Not necessary.

I also noticed you ignored the uptick in unemployment applications and the FACT that high tech is laying people off by the thousands.

:thinking:

Wonder why. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I didn’t say you said that. But you threw it in there with all the other bad news you could search for. Which is all you want. Bad economic news.

Excellent news.

1 Like

Do you think the current numbers is good news?

LOL

The GDP and UE both came out today so quit with the tantrum.

So first you condescend now you assign motivation.

How typical.

Hey Bud. Do yourself a favor and don’t attempt to discuss economics.

Ain’t your bugaboo.

It’s campaign season, (D)ogs.

Now, BARK! :rofl:

1 Like

Of course it is good news. It is also a temporary illusion.
The current economy is being buoyed (READ: on paper only) by spending out the pile of helicopter money left over from the great COVID giveaway.

M2 (often called “the money supply”) is the total of all wallet-cash, checking and savings balances, CDs etc… Currently we are still spending down the big pile of money that was printed in response to COVID. (see below)

Thing 1)
I grow corn. I eat a lot of corn because I grow a lot of corn.

Thing 2)
My fields are much less productive. I cannot even grow enough corn to feed my family. I am feeding my family, for now, only because a while ago someone dropped off a truckload of corn. I am eating the dropped-off corn. My fields don’t grow enough corn to feed my family.

Thing 1 is not Thing 2

It is always good news that the farmer’s family has enough food to eat, but that does not mean his formerly-healthy fields are still healthy.

3 Likes

Narrative, narrative, narrative.

The actual good news is

• If by some happenstance the underlying economy does improve (farmer feeds himself out of his own fields)
  • And if certain trends continue

Then there is a chance Biden spending-to-GDP might drop to the same spending-to-GDP that were adequate for Clinton, Bush 43 etc…

(Chart below shows federal spending minus federal spending on interest vs GDP)

Previous presidents had to deal with things like the dot.com crash, the War on Terror and the GFC but still spent less (after interest) than the likes of Trump or Biden. Both of those clowns spend money like they were someone else’s money.

Neither one of them should be in the WH.

2 Likes

Nope.

When you (or the US economy) struggles through and is fed only out of previous helicopter money that is not a strong economy.

“Oh but look the refugees are eating a lot of rice out of the rice truck! Obviously there is no problem here.”
Pretending you don’t see the giant rice truck when I show it to you is your problem not mine.

1 Like

Government gets counted in the GDP. Look at these great numbers, the government only had to spend two trillion we don’t have to get them.

2 Likes

it will be interesting to see what it really is after it’s revised, after the politically favorable impact

It will still be a great number. Are you hoping for anything less?

the price of groceries is not coming down

bidenomics is fabulous

50 million extra votes for the leftists

in the words of Haley Joel Osment

1 Like

of course not

what qualifies as “great?”

Here’s my question. How strong is an economy that is running multitrillion dollar deficits year after year?

2 Likes

how can you not run a deficit while funding various wars around the globe?