Global warming is real

No, someone else quoted in the article made that statement.

Again, you seem to have a great deal of difficulty with the written word. Sloppy work is pretty much guaranteed to produce sloppy conclusions.

That’s a terribly flawed theory.

Hot air passes from above the concrete and pavement to the “green areas” in cities raising the temperature for the whole city.

Most official temps are taken at airports, not parks.

Urban areas are routinely 5-15 degree warmer than the green areas surrounding them.

Even our own EPA recognizes it is a significant factor.

The term “heat island” describes built up areas that are hotter than nearby rural areas. The annual mean air temperature of a city with 1 million people or more can be 1.8–5.4°F (1–3°C) warmer than its surroundings. In the evening, the difference can be as high as 22°F (12°C). Heat islands can affect communities by increasing summertime peak energy demand, air conditioning costs, air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions, heat-related illness and mortality, and water quality.

Dude, it’s from your source. Just like your post from Bellamy which was from your source but a different person. Do you consider yourself sloppy as well?

Get a grip. Your cited source specifically said that there were no changes in solar irradiance in the last 20 years. It cannot account for today’s heating.

You should rest easy knowing GISS accounted for the heat island effect. Further, the study I provided showed it did not have a substantive effect on global temperatures.

The earth is 0.625% paved. Try again Wildrose.

Sloppy? No, I didn’t attribute the quote to the author, that was yourself.

Once again as stated in the article the sun is definitely brighter than it was 100 years ago and I’ve already explained the cumulative heating affect due to steadily increasing water, soil, rocks etc.

It takes a great deal of time for water and ground to cool. Again this can easily be demonstrated by taking soil and water temps.

The higher the nighttime lows are, the higher the average daytime temps will be as well and it will then take progressively longer for the average temp to cool even with a change in how much solar radiation reaches the surface.

Unless GISS is taking all of their temperatures from areas well away from the cities they cannot be representative of the global average to any reasonable degree of accuracy.

The difference in mean temperatures can be quite significant. The image above shows mean temperatures for the city of Paris, France taken at 10pm local time. The highest mean temperatures in the core of the city were measured at five degrees higher than the outer, less urbanized areas.

Understanding the patterns of the urban heat island effect can be used to help city planners and safety officials understand how to mitigate the impact of higher temperatures in urban areas. Heat related deaths rise significantly during periods of elevated heat and planning ways to dissipate the heat at night can play an important role in reducing those deaths. The heatwave that impacted in Europe in 2003 resulted in over 35,000 deaths.

This is the same reason that for centuries those who can afford to do so get out of the cities during the summer and get out to the cooler countryside.

I never attributed it to the original author. I said from your source. Sloppy accusation, Wildrose.

1 Like

You blew it, just quit digging that hole while you can still see the light at the top.

You should rest easy knowing GISS accounted for the heat island effect. Further, the study I provided showed it did not have a substantive effect on global temperatures.

From GISS:

Ouch!

“adjusted”.

If they wanted to be accurate they would eliminate them altogether.

You should have read the full quote.

So heat island effect is accounted for and has been since 1998. Glad you’re keeping up to date Wildrose.

“Since 1998”. Now think hard on that for a minute.

The “ouch” is that part I bolded.
Alarm bells. Sirens. Red flags.

You may think “adjusted” means something positive. It doesn’t. If the measurements need to be adjusted, they simply need to be thrown out.

Yes, they started accounting for the heat island effect in 1998 and adjusted data accordingly.

Your non-scientific opinion is noted.

Three percent of the world’s land surface is covered with urban areas, an increase of at least 50 percent over previous estimates, scientists said this week.

The Global Rural Urban Mapping Project (GRUMP) combined satellite images of urban lights at night with population data, painting a more accurate picture than scientists had before.

The project identified 75,000 distinct urban settlements worldwide. Many are clumped. For instance, Tokyo, which is the largest urban area with 12,000 square-miles (30,000 square-kilometers), is made up of more than 500 connected settlements.

All the way back to 1998.

Are we discussing long or short term global warming?

Right. And how much is water?

No, that’s when the heat island effect was identified and they adjusted data. Are you thinking the didn’t adjust backward?