Global warming is real

So you are not stating general principles?

I’m stating principles that apply to the discussion.

“The discussion” … meaning climate change?

So could Methuselah have been 1000 years old?

The discussion being whether a small asteroid can have a meaningful effect on the earths orbit.

Through gravitation pull or through impact?

Gravitational pull.

Here ya go

from https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/hypothetical-planet-x/in-depth/

Overview

Caltech researchers have found mathematical evidence suggesting there may be a “Planet X” deep in the solar system. This hypothetical Neptune-sized planet orbits our sun in a highly elongated orbit far beyond Pluto. The object, which the researchers have nicknamed “Planet Nine,” could have a mass about 10 times that of Earth and orbit about 20 times farther from the sun on average than Neptune. It may take between 10,000 and 20,000 Earth years to make one full orbit around the sun.

Note the rather large uncertainty in its time to orbit the sun, which would say to me, orbit unknown. And hey, does this sound familiar if you want to say it doesn’t really exist?

The prediction is based on detailed mathematical modeling and computer simulations, not direct observation.

Fantastic. You know what’s missing? Any possibility that Planet X could affect our orbit.

Oh and a gradual and not immediate climate change is what you would expect from a gravitational nudge that changed our orbit slightly. An immediate change would be expected from a large change.

Why? It has the mass and it’s orbit is unknown, I thought that is what you were demanding as proof it was possible?

I disagree entirely. A gravitational nudge from a nearby passing object such as a rogue planet is a discrete event, a small change nearly instantaneous change (geologically speaking). Such a quick movement would be expected to change climate quickly.

Because at no point does it come anywhere near our orbit. If it did, it wouldn’t have been so hard to detect, even indirectly.

Err no, a small initial change could be magnified over a longer period. It could pass by many times every ten or twenty thousand years for a small incremental change each time adding up to a larger one.

If that were the case, we would know by now.

It also means your taxes were cut in half.

We aren’t talking about evidence because there is no evidence. A passing NEO does not leave any evidence except the effect it would have on the orbit, and unless you witnessed the orbit change, there is no evidence of that either. We are talking about the hypothesis that NEOs could alter Earth’s orbit and thus change Earth’s climate over long periods of time. NOBODY is suggesting that NEOs are the cause of the minor climate change we are experiencing now. Why are you not understanding that?

No, some exoplanets orbit other starts, others wander the galaxy just as I showed.

Rogue planets – also known as free floating planets – are pretty intriguing. They are not orbiting a star but instead are wandering through the galaxy, having been either forcibly ejected from a solar system or having formed very early on in the Universe. While only a handful of these planets have been actually found, astronomers estimate these vagrant worlds could vastly outnumber stars. In fact, it’s been suggested there could be 100,000 times more rogue planets than stars in our Milky Way galaxy alone!

The latest rogue world to be found is exciting in that it is the closest such object to our Solar System so far. At a distance of about 100 light-years, its comparative proximity, along with the absence of a bright star very close to it, has allowed the team to study its atmosphere in great detail. Astronomers say this object gives them a preview of the exoplanets that future instruments will be able to find – and potentially take image of — around stars other than the Sun. But the planet also seems to be loosely tied to a roving group of stars, called the AB Doradus Moving Group.

Plate tectonics created the separate oceans and the continents that separated them millions of years before the current age of ice ages began. Try again.

I can’t post images from this device, but Google is your friend. There are plenty of earth temperature graphs that clearly show the abrupt (in geological terms) change in global climate about 2 million years ago after millions of years of warm (warmer than today) relatively stable climate. That you reject that notion suggests that you are choosing to remain ignorant when the information is at your fingertips.

Okay … you go with that.

1 Like