Global warming is real

No, our crops will be adapted to remain where they are so long as the location also remains geographically profitable.

Agreed.

Then why are you arguing that the development of farming marks the birth of our current civilization?

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Are you not following your own posts?

You’re a gem!

What does that make you? An ordinary rock? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I made a post about modern civilization having its root during the little ice age and you have gone on an on in disagreement citing modern farming having originated in the mid to late 1800s. Yet you say “Farming is but one facet of our civilization.” So in that light, I ask again … why are you arguing that the development of farming marks the birth of our current civilization?

That’s fine.

I used farming as an example. Civilization is not defined by farming alone.

So we have established that our farms today were built with our current climate in mind, supporting my original premise.

Enough of the double talk. This is what you said:

Clearly you believe that mass farming is the key component of our civilization.

Decades ago, iron was dug from internal resources, shipped by freighter to Detroit…where they made steel, stamped parts and assembled cars. As the years went by, pollution standards were put in place…and rightly so. I lived in Detroit and prior to 1974, the air smelled and the water below Detroit was considered polluted. Heavy restrictions were put into place, the price of gas shot up, the price of cars shot up and Japanese cars first got introduced to the mainstream public. The Americans were caught off guard, producing battle star gallacticas and they weren’t selling. By the end of the decade, the Americans began retooling to produce smaller, front wheel drive vehicles but their quality was far behind the Japanese.

During the 80s, the Americans were playing catch up in quality. They were so far behind that weak minded Roger Smith of GM, gave up on doing things historically and started the financial drain division of Saturn. Pollution standards remained though and Detroit really cleaned up. Now…you could catch salmon in water that used to only have carp. Soiled water became clear, where you could now see a number of feet down. The car business was bad but great strides were being made environmentally.

During the 90s, politicians and manufacturers got together and allowed manufacturing of all types to leave our borders and produce elsewhere, then ship their goods back into the US under NAFTA. It was all done under the guise of less labor. Although that may have been true, it was far from the whole truth.

During the 90s, the new millennium and beyond, it wasn’t just the savings of labor that was the driving force? It was all the money saved in pollution standards that also put huge profits to the corporate bottom lines. Our government knew this and allowed it. Another part of the world was being raped but we Americans couldn’t see it…or smell it but our government was fully onboard with this. Those products were then shipped back, with no penalty and products still being made here, couldn’t compete. Eventually our manufacturing left the country, went elsewhere and raped the environment, then shipped those products back into the US with our government being completely complicit in all of this.

Now…here we are in 2020 and I hear people yell about man made global warming. I have a question? Do you shop at Walmart? Do you inspect anything and everything you buy to determine it was produced in an environmentally friendly way? If not, you are complicit and a part of the problem? Governments around the world now want to unite and solve this issue by taxing pollution. I call bull feces. Governments have already proven, they don’t give a rat’s ass. They only see another way to make money and do so by feeding the sheople “man made global warming”. If you want to stop pollution, stop buying products not made in an environmentally friendly way. You may not be able to satisfy all of your wants but this will cause manufacturing to produce their goods in a way that harms the world less and you now must pay the much higher price for that product.

Hmm, I thought I was bringing it up as an example but perhaps you know my mind better. I guess I should have been more verbose in my response. I did try to clear it up a post or two later which you conveniently did not quote above.

You seem more interested in winning points than discussion.

Regardless, our farms were built with the current climate in mind. If that climate changes, there will be costs associated with it.

Maybe you should read your own posts in the context of the posts they are in response to. There was no unclarity in your statement about farming in n context with my statement about the origin of our modern society. It would save a lot of back and forth if you did.

Ok. Advice noted. I felt it was inherently obvious but perhaps not. I did clarify a post or two later but you seemed to have missed it.

So we now know that farming in the US is based on our current climate, not the LIA.

No, I did not miss it, I noticed that you ignored my posts citing the facts regarding the beginning of the early modern age and continued to talk as though farming was the only thing that mattered in modern civilization. The focus on farming is entirely on you.

Yes. I have a tendency to talk about one thing at a time to gain agreement on that one thing.

Do you agree that US farming is based on the climate AFTER the LIA?

So you contend, but then you are the only one arguing that point, so who cares. But you might want to review the temperature data for that era before carving your belief in stone.

That’s what she said…

1 Like

No. That’s you contention. There is no evidence that climate had anything to do with the advancements in farming in the US.

I’m glad you have amended your position that US farming was not based on LIA but on time after that.