Global warming is real

You’re just making things up again.

Gravity works in both directions. The sun pulls on both of us, both of us pull on each other and the sun.

A change in the angular momentum of one planet will not have an equal and opposite effect on the other because of all the other factors involved including the changing distances and angles from one another.

The position of the planets also dictates how strong the effects are on each other as well as the distance from each to the sun affecting the influence of gravity on them.

The close two objects are, the greater the gravitational attraction, the further the less.

With every variation in angle and distance the effects of gravity vary.

Not true. This contradicts the very fundamentals of physics. Increase the angular momentum of one object, you decrease the angular momentum of another object by an equal amount. That’s literally the definition of conservation.

You’re just making stuff up because you don’t know what you’re talking about which is why you keep repeating simplistic facts as if they’re some sort of amazing insights.

1 Like

You’re just making it up again. Angular momentum can only be preserved in the absence of changes to outside forces influencing it.

Basic physics Donen’t change just because we’re talking bout space.

Change the forces acting on any orbiting body and the orbital momentum is going to change as well, it’s basic physics.

No, angular momentum of a system is always conserved. The planets are part of the system. An increase in one planet results in a decrease in another.

For example, a gravity assist used to get a probe into a more distant orbit robs a tiny bit of momentum from the planet it’s getting the assist from. The satellite speeds up, the planet slows down.

If you think Jupiter is keeping us from spiraling towards the Sun, you don’t know the first thing about how orbits work.

No, the tension in the guitar string vibrating in a vacuum increases as it’s length increases while it vibrates to either side of a perfectly straight line. Why it eventually stops vibrating is because the friction within the string slowly reduces the amplitude of the vibration and it stabilizes at a straight line at its minimum tension. There is no friction or tension on the orbit of one mass around another in space.

You were wrong, that’s why I moved on.

But like a bad penny, here you are back again.

No, I was right. You declared so then decided you didn’t need to substantiate your declaration and moved on.

Maybe some day you’ll come back and actually debate. Who knows.

This is laughable. You just admitted that the probe has an effect on the planet while claiming other objects interacting with it do not.

You just confirmed exactly what I said above.

The angular momentum changes with any change in gravity or velocity.

Once the tension added by plucking it is released the tension returns to it’s pre plucked state.

Without that tension it would not reduce it’s amplitude with each subsequent vibration.

To illustrate how conservation of momentum works, which apparently you don’t understand.

I’ll say this one more time, if you think Jupiter is keeping us from spiraling into the sun, that means we are sucking Jupiter closer to the earth because momentum has to be preserved.

That’s not happening.

The angular momentum of an object can change but the momentum of the system doesn’t. With each action, there is an opposite reaction.

The distance between the earth and jupiter is not a constant, nor did I ever state that in it’s absence we’d be sucked into the sun.

Quit making dishonest assertions as to what I have stated.

Remove Jupiter alone and we would be closer to the sun, that doesn’t mean we’d necessaryily be sucked into it.

Jupiter also has it’s anchors, namely Saturn and Neptune so the the ability of the earth to cause any significant change in it’s average distance to the sun is minuscule due to our mass and distance.

Our orbit would decay at some rate absent Jupiter until equilibrium was again achieved at some distance from the sun closer than we are now.

At least I moved on. You’re obsessed.

If there is an equal and opposite reaction the momentum of every object in the system would change with the change in one.

And yet you’re still here, accusing me of not staying on topic. There’s only so much I can do Samm, when people keep bailing.

Not quite. If it were a frictionless string vibrating in a vacuum its momentum would cause it to vibrate forever. It is the friction that causes it to return to its lowest energy state.

But my point was, there is no tension in the orbit of a mass around a star.

Okay. What’s your point?

No, eventually even in a vacuum the tension eventually reduces it to it’s original state.

The plucking is momentary, the tension is constant before and after. I’m very familiar with this experiment because we did it many times in Physics lab.

No, I’m merey replying to your diversions. I was taught that it’s impolite to ignore people, even fools. Let’s hope you were not raised the same … this could go on forever, like that frictionless guitar string vibrating in a vacuum. :wink:

Diversions? You mean like meaningless arguments about the definition of a polar ice cap?

Oh wait, that wasn’t me. That was someone who couldn’t help but stray off topic for…reasons, I guess.

1 Like

No … without friction between the molecules of the string, momentum would keep it moving. Tension is nothing more than potential energy, and the kinetic energy induced by the plucking is preserved by the momentum of the mass of the string with no friction to erode it.

But again, there is no tensile force in an orbit.