Global warming is real

Stop pretending like this is basic. That’s a problem you have. This isn’t basic and you can’t use simple lessons that you manage to remember from basic level high school physics to talk about it.

Yes, orbits change over one and yes various forces affect orbits. These forces do not magically return objects to some sort of equilibrium.

Did you read about the experiment in my link? I’m guessing you didn’t.

Of course it is and of course they do. If they didn’t the planets would either collide and be destroyed or fly out of the system.

Your link goes to a "does not exist’ page.

Nothing is “locked” into any orbit. The reason the planets are in orbits like they are now is due to angular momentum imparted by the planetary disc from billions of years ago.

Uh, what? That doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. The planets are where they are because they didn’t crash into each other.

They are where they are because of the sum of all forces acting on them in the system, primarily gravitational interactions between each other and the sun.

Remove any one of them and the orbits of all would have to change.

Gravity is universal and omini directional, each of the planets and the sun influence the orbits of all of them.

If not for the gravitational effects none of them could even remain in the system after making one pass by the sun, they would be launched into interstellar space.

The gravitational interactions between the planets are minuscule and have very little impact on their positions.

Remove every other planet and Earth’s orbit will stay exactly where it is today.

The planets have a minuscule impact on each other.

You mean there wouldn’t be a solar system without gravity? No kidding.

The only true statement you made was the last.

Every planet in the system as well as the sun effects the orbits of the others. Even small moons impart an orbital wobble on their host planets.

Insignificant effects are insignificant.

If something has its orbit disturbed, it’s not magically going to return to it’s previous state.

You cannot in any way demonstrate that the effects are insignificant particularly the effects of the giants.

The sum of all forces tells us that they will return to equilibrium after being disturbed unless such a disturbance pushes them beyond the range of those forces to return them to same.

I’ll try reposting:

No. Still doesn’t work here. Weird. Well, the gist of the experiment is that someone took their guitar into a vacuum and observed that it took 77x as long for the string to return to a non-vibrating state after having been plucked.

The point is, you have no force acting on the planet to return it to its original position. Let’s simplify with one planet and a star. The planet rotates around the star. I introduce a NEO that pulls the planet, increasing the orbital diameter some small amount to create a new orbit. I then remove that NEO. What force is pushing back on the planet to force it back to the old orbit?

You can’t in any way demonstrate that it will magically return to some “equilibrium”.

It doesn’t really work that way.

And it was predicted 50 years ago we would be starving by the millions by now. How is that working out? :rofl:

The same forces which originally locked it into it’s orbit. 77x a few seconds does not make air resistance the primary force acting on the string, the tension on that string remains constant.

We don’t have a system with a single planet and a sun, we have eight majors, three giants, and the sun and the giants exert much more gravitational force on the planets near them due to the proximity and the distance from them to the sun. Jupiter is 4-6x farther from the sun than the earth for example and many times closer to the planets in close proximity to them.

Planetary memory…or something.

That’s exactly how it works. We have many times more arable land today than we did 50 years ago primarily due to irrigation and the increased growing seasons in the far northern and southern hemispheres.

The Canadian growing season today is nearly three weeks longer than it was a hundred years ago and the can grow food crops there that could not be grown before as a result as well as allowing for double cropping of grains.

No, something which you are incapable of understanding. Physics.

1 Like

Of course we can by simply observing the system which has repeatedly returned to equalibrium.

If it hadn’t the planets would all have either been pulled into the sun, flown out of the system, or collided and been destroyed.

In spite of the variations due to the Milankovich cycle, the system remains in equilibrium.

What locking into orbit? Let’s take it to extremes. If I physically move the planet out 1AU from its 1 AU orbit (to a 2 AU orbit), do you think it would return to its 1 AU orbit after I stop moving it?

I presume you would agree it is not returning to its 1 AU orbit. Now, why not?

Now make that delta AU smaller and the exact same Physics hold true.