Giving Up Cable?

I cut the cable cord about 7 years ago. I got so tired of having to PAY to watch tasteless and raunchy commercials.

I thought it was going to be awful since I was so used to cable, but it really wasn’t. Quite happy from the moment I switched.

My cable went from about $180.00 down to about $60.00 I subscribe to Netflix and HBONow.

1 Like

I keep trying to get out of cable TV (and simply use cable internet). Everytime I try to disconnect, they give me a special offer, and I end up getting cable TV and internet for the same cost or (currently $5 lower) than cable internet alone. I guess they realize that once you cut the cable TV, you rarely go back.

I have Netflix for like ten dollars a month or something and Amazon prime is I think about 120 a year or so.

I also have a digital rooftop antennae that supposedly has a 150 mile range. I get local news from network affiliates and primetime crapola, some major sporting events sometimes like the superbowl and Olympics. A dozen channels or so but I only watch news and weather when I’m getting ready for work in the morning. Everything else is Netflix and Amazon. They have A LOT of stuff, I particularly like series with a lot of seasons so I don’t have to look for something else to watch for many months LOL. It’s been working out just fine, lots of documentaries too.

20 bucks a month for the services and 55 a month for 50mb internet service. 75 bucks but I’d have internet no matter what so if feels more like 20 dollars a month.

I went early adopter and cut cable about 8 years ago. 2 years ago I got whined into getting DirectTV, which was an expensive reminder of why I hated cable to much in the first place, so I’m cancelling again in a few days when the contract is up.

Amazon Prime has a lot of content I like, Netflix, Hulu. If you have a smart TV it’s built in, but I’ve also used a Roku, Chromecast, heck even a gaming console like a Playstation or Xbox can handle it. You don’t need a super fast internet connection in my experience, I have the 24 mbps connection from DirectTV/ATT but it rarely tests over 8 mbps and I have had zero issue with lag or buffering. Maybe the first couple seconds of a 4K program will look pixelated but it catches up quick.

I also have a HD antenna for local programming, those don’t cost very much. The cable companies are living on borrowed time as more and more people discover that it just ain’t worth the money to sit through all those ads.

1 Like

If you are a tennis addict you can cut tomorrow lol. my mom is one and tennis channel just created tennis plus and for 100 bucks a year or something like that you get everything you want

I used to use the WatchESPN app a whole lot. Then they decided to start charging an extra $5 a month to watch most of the content they have on there, that is on top of the money you would otherwise be paying your cable provider for the ESPN channel. Needless to say I declined.

Cut cable almost 8 years ago. Best decision ever. I was paying almost $150 a month to consistently watch 5-7 channels.

Now I have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HD antenna. The only thing I miss out on are the college bowl games and MNF that are shown on ESPN. To save $1000+ a year I can live without those events.

1 Like

I also have Tennis Channel Plus, but except RG and a few tourneys in the states (Indian Wells and Miami) TC doesn’t have the rights to WTA. Bein sports does and you need to have that channel in your cable subscription to watch those matches online. I also have WTA TV but they don’t have an app so you can only watch with a browser. You also need ESPN in your subscription package to watch ESPN3 (Watch ESPN) which has the rights to AO, Wimby and USO.

TC only has the rights to RG.

I often have several channels recording the tennis at the same time.

It’s complicated being a tennis addict.

Personally cut the cord at least six years ago. Got married 4 years ago and my wife hasn’t seen the light yet so technically I still have cable. I can’t even recall the last time I watched a non sports event on live TV. Most likely an episode of Arrow or Flash but years ago. Everything I else I’ve streamed after the fact to my phone or computer.

1 Like

Have you tried Hulu Live?

YouTube.tv is Live TV.

Before I moved into this house, we had cut the cord for 4 years and just did over the air (PBS 90% of the time with young kids) and Netflix and Amazon. I had a gigabit connection for $80/month and loved it.

Moved in to this house and gigabit wasn’t available. Didn’t want to go with comcast, so I got a Direct TV & AT&T 50 Mbps internet package. Was $65/month because I wanted the local sports channel for Astros games (we’ve started to entertain a lot more in this house). Called up to complain about something a few months ago and then lowered my bill for another $15/month for a year. So, currently at $50/month for Directv and internet. Throw in HBO in there because it comes with my unlimited data plan on AT&T mobile. Worked out great because I was already paying for HBO Now and cancelled that when I realized the perk with the bundle.

All that being said, if fiber would have been available in this house, I would have remained cable free. A lot more Disney Junior channel is now watched.

Nope. I looked at Sling and DirectTVNow when they first cam out, but couldn’t justify the additional cost. Only a couple of things I would have watched and I figured i would have gotten back into habit of just watching TV and surfing through channels for no good reason.

Plenty of great things on Netflix, Hulu (regular), and Amazon Prime. Plus HD antenna and I’m conpletely set.

I’ve always lived in rural ass Mississippi so cutting paid network tv was never an option until two years ago when they finally got around to activating LTE on the cell towers. I started tethering after that.

I actually don’t watch shows all that often. I have Netflix but that’s it. And I only watch the Marvel shows. I prefer gaming over television and with my work hours (I get to work at 6:00am and don’t leave till 5:30pm most days) I don’t have free time for both. So nine times out of ten I choose to play the Playstation over television.