George Will - Trump is no longer the worst person in government

Don’t fear that. I’m just an occasional poster. They (I guess conservatives) have the ability to engage, and they do and should be taken seriously, as opposed to contemptuously. And by all means debate the issues. of our nation.

Abortion? Hey, ask Elliott Broidy (assuming that he was actually the “David Dennison” who had the affair with that Playboy model and not someone else we could name) about that one.

I think there are plenty of intellectual, articulate conservatives that do just that. And Will being one of them. The issue he is addressing here, is the fight for the soul of the GOP, of which he has spent his entire life being a part of and defending and promoting. He fears, rightfully so, that rather than a return to conservative dogma and principles, it is instead moving in a direction of required groveling at the foot of the leader. Rather than spending time pursuing and achieving conservative legislation that he believes benefits the nation, they instead play suck-up to the whims of an egotistical narcissist, who very well could cost the party a seat of power for many, many years. Ceding the government to progressive liberals for who knows how many years.

I told you what his problem is. He and those like him do not know how to fight progressive liberalism. We no longer have the luxury to be little George Wills, articulating some strictly conservative philosophy and hope that reason will prevail. The followers of the ideology that hijacked the word “liberal” does not care about reason. And I’m wasting time telling you.

For the record, George Will has never carried any weight around here as a “conservative” since I joined in 2004. He’s more or less a creature of the Reagan era. He was superseded by Rush et. al. more than a quarter of a century ago, really.

3 Likes

Jimmy Carter was the last Democrat I voted for. Fortunately he lost to Reagan. Then I learned that all the fear mongering the Democrats did was an extensive narrative of lies… from claiming that Reagan was going to start ww3 to claiming that he was of inferior intelligence and unable to handle the rigors of the job. I never voted for a Democrat since because even in the legislature - state or national - if you give a seat to a good Democrat, you empower the bad ones too.

And then the progressive liberals came and any semblance of real liberalism that Democrats once held dear was destroyed.

He didn’t leave the party… the party left him… :man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

It seems in this article that it is Will who has turned his disagreement with Pence into hate.

If Will were nominated on the Republican ticket he could possibly win some subset of the states that Romney won in 2012. And, of course, Romney lost.

Nebraska, I really like the way you respond. I think you do so sincerely, and you do bother to explain, I appreciate that. Maybe since you have, I might understand better, and thanks for that.

1 Like

Unfortunately you are correct. As someone else pointed out earlier, Rush, Trump, Arpaio, Roy Moore, these are the new faces of the GOP, and some have been for a while now.

Do you disagree that Pence has become little more than someone destined to lick the boots of all things Trump? Because it seems that way to me. I’ve never seen a grown man fawn over another grown man so publicly and shamelessly. Knowing how Trump has spoken of him and his wife to others. It takes sycophancy to a new level.

No worries, and the feeling is quite mutual my friend! :slight_smile:

Your reading comprehension is lacking.

I don’t agree with Will about much but wow, he actually does have the best words. Lickspittle? So good.

He definitely likes showing off his immense vocabulary.

And Barack Obama, Bill and Hillary Clinton …

You think Reagan was conservative?

I will certainly agree Pence has said some things about Trump that are cringe worthy. He does sound rather over the top at times.

But in most respects he’s no different than any other VP. The job of a VP is to carry the water of the administration he’s serving.

I’m not really sure what people expect him to do. Call for Trump’s impeachment?

Where Pence could be criticized is for joining the ticket in the first place. But once he did that, the dye was cast, and from that point forward he had to endorse and promote whatever Trump was saying or doing. That’s what the second guy ALWAYS does.

At what point will the knuckle draggers start labeling Reagan a lib and globalist?