Gas prices in Haiti cause riots

That’s part of the deal.

So you don’t believe that con men exist, got it.

Part of being conned is your fault for not making sure of the details of the deal. If you do get conned, you don’t go back to that person to make deals.

That proves my point.

Come on man. This concept is as old as dirt.

well that’s completely made up.

The .25c/gallon tax remains the same no matter what the market price is.

Democrats ushered in the “Windfall Profits Tax” on petroleum in the 70’s to control the price which of course did nothing but create the biggest energy crisis the nation had faced in it’s history. Additionally it all but killed off exploration in the US for most of a decade driving up unemployment, inflation, the price at the pump and made us then more dependent on ME oil than we’d ever been.

Fortunately Reagan was able to sign it’s repeal into law in 1988.

There is no free market in the presence of subsidies and unbalanced tariffs.

Exactly my point. Trump doesn’t believe in the free market anymore than he believes in a healthy diet.

You have no point, Trump’s trade policies are to open up markets and either get the tariffs on US goods lifted or to place reciprocal tariffs on goods imported from countries with which we have trade deficits and who unfairly tax US exports or block them altogether.

Complete nonsense. Trump is using the power of the government to pick winners and losers, and you’re OK with it because (you think) he’s picking the winners you like.

And you are simply making things up.

There is no “free market” without a level playing field and all Trump is doing is attempting to give US producers a level playing field upon which to compete.

Really? A free market needs a level playing field? That’s ridiculous.

As Trump tries to prop up the dying coal industry with taxpayer money and the power of the government, moving firmly against free-market winds for political gain, Republicans have abandoned any semblance of authority on what a free market is.

Since you seem to be stuck on bumper sticker arguments try this one.

In order to have free trade, trade has to be fair and reciprocal.

When foreign gov’t’s unfairly subsidize their industries and/or place tariffs on our industries that want to trade on their markets it requires acts of gov’t to ensure fairness for both sides.

What bumper sticker argument? How do you reconcile the president’s attempt to “unfairly subsidize” the coal industry while still claiming he believes in the free market? Face it, he’s the one using “free market” as a bumper sticker slogan when it suits him, and discarding it when it doesn’t.

Also, I take exception to this line. There is no requirement that free equal fair. Freedom isn’t fair.

The coal industry is in the trouble it’s in specifically because the last administration tried to kill it via regulation so it’s going to take another act of gov’t to once again level the playing field.

Take all the exception you want, maybe if you take enough of it you’ll one day be exceptional.

This is false. The coal industry is in trouble because of competition from natural gas, new fracking techniques, etc.

So you’re not going to address the issue at all? I accept your surrender.

that is completely false. Obama’s regulations on coal fired industries forced them to convert or close down which was specifically his stated goal since before he was even an official candidate for POTUS in 2008