Ford is basically giving up on US car business, and GM is not far behind

Ford is just going to sell the Focus Active crossover and the Mustang.

Remember when gas prices spiked and many people stopped buying Humvees and gas suckers? I wonder what happens to them when that happens again.

I hate crossovers

especially when he then does a stepback “J”.

1 Like

And this is why the Obama Administration MPG goal would not be acheivable. Not unless they start selling a hell of a lot more electric vehicles in the mix. Bigger cars (aka suv’s, crossovers, and trucks) get lower MPG due to their size.

This is why it’s a good thing The Don’s administration is scrapping the unachievable goal.

Then the car companies run into a problem with California…unless those standards get knocked down…which would mean the car guys would have to make two sets of cars for the usa…

Lol unachievable goal…please…dont insult peoples intelligence

Unless the Federal Government removes California’s waiver, then they can only have what is required nationally.

That waiver gets pulled, then California can’t do anything in requiring a higher or better fuel milage. Only exception would be a car company that prodeces and only has vehicles for sale in California – and I don’t think you’ll see that anytime soon.

cali can just sue under the tenth.So…no

Nope, interstate commerace give the feds authority.

That’s why I said they could do it on vehicles only manufactured and sold within the state.

Doesn’t California already have more strict standards for cars sold (not manufactured) in the state?

The Bush administration said no, and California sued. But the case was never decided. Barack Obama became president, and, in May 2009, he announced new national standards on greenhouse gas emissions from cars while simultaneously announcing a bailout for the U.S. auto industry.

This was from your own link…seriously…why do i even bother with you people…

LOL that’s cute.

That won’t work. Remember Montana and guns?

You’re right. California can sue. It won’t work.

The Bush administration said no, and California sued. But the case was never decided. Barack Obama became president, and, in May 2009, he announced new national standards on greenhouse gas emissions from cars while simultaneously announcing a bailout for the U.S. auto industry.

Consitution give congress authority to:

regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes.

Courts SHOULD find the government can set the milage and fuel efficency standards for vehicles sold “among the several states”.

we dont know what they would find…it wasnt settled…but thanks for admitting you were wrong…oh…you didnt…you just deflected

Constitutionally it’s a job of congress to regulate commerce among the states.

10th amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States,

Commerace clause

regulate commerce among the several statess

Power to regulate commerace among the states is delegated to the United States in the constitution.

Should be simple english ready ability here. California can’t regulate anything produced outside it’s borders.

Like I said, if a car company wanted to be based exclusively in California, and not sell cars to any other states – then by all means, let California Regulate them. But if the company sell’s one new car outside the boarders of Califorina – congress is delegated by the constitution to regulate that.

cool story…Till we having a ruling your opinion is just that…an opinion

So what is YOUR interpretation of regulating commerace among the states.

lets hear it.

i dont have one… i will simply wait to see how it plays out in the courts and by people smarter than me.